Girlfriend and I fell in love with Thailand but are lost on how to extend our stay

Hi,

since my girlfriend and I are in the exact same position as OP I will join in the discussion. We are both Canadian. I'm 20 and she's 19. We will be in Chiang Mai next week.

You must leave and get a tourist visa from Vientiane or cross a border for a further thirty day visa exempt entry.

Can't they get a 60 day visa there in fact one with two or three entries. They would then be allowed to go to immigration with each one and have it extended 30 days thereby the possibility of 270 days. 90 days in country cross at any border by foot and come right back to do the 60 plus 30 again then repeat the procedure a third time.

I live in Chuiang Mai and it can be done in a day for less than 1.000 baht up to Mai Sai in a first classVIP bus cross the border and back to the bus. Not sure how long they have in Mai Sai between the arrival and departure. But I do know they can noit get the origanal 60 day there Lao, Cambodia or Malaysia for that.

I am sure some one has given you the correct city for that by this point in the thread.

Hi,

since my girlfriend and I are in the exact same position as OP I will join in the discussion. We are both Canadian. I'm 20 and she's 19. We will be in Chiang Mai next week.

You must leave and get a tourist visa from Vientiane or cross a border for a further thirty day visa exempt entry.

Can't they get a 60 day visa there in fact one with two or three entries. They would then be allowed to go to immigration with each one and have it extended 30 days thereby the possibility of 270 days. 90 days in country cross at any border by foot and come right back to do the 60 plus 30 again then repeat the procedure a third time.

I live in Chuiang Mai and it can be done in a day for less than 1.000 baht up to Mai Sai in a first classVIP bus cross the border and back to the bus. Not sure how long they have in Mai Sai between the arrival and departure. But I do know they can noit get the origanal 60 day there Lao, Cambodia or Malaysia for that.

I am sure some one has given you the correct city for that by this point in the thread.

No three entry tourist visas in nearby countries!

Nearest would be Bali and only if a ticket out of Thailand can be shown !

The best option you have is to do a visa run to Vientiane or Savanakhet in Laos. Savanakhet is opposite from the Thai city Mukdahan. I'm not sure which Thai city is closer to Chiang Mai, Nong Khai or Mukdahan. Google maps will tell you, though. You can get a double entry tourist visa which will give you 2x 60 days, which means you'll have to do a visa run after 60 days. The visas for Laos as well as Cambodia are substantially cheaper, if you pay for them with US dollars. I think it's 20 dollars as opposed to 1000 baht.

Can you not get a triple entry visa?

Not sure on that.

But with each entry they can get an added 30 days by just going to the nearest immigration office.

So even with a double entry they could get 180 days and only have to leave the country once. just step over the border clear immigration in the other country and come back to Thailand,

Not sure how long it takes the other country to process the original I have heard Laos is come back tomorrow and some one mentioned Cambodia is a 4 day wait. PP is a nice city to look around in. Or fly into Siem Reap visit Angkor Wat then down to PP for the visa.

Not really my business to ask but you may be asked how you intend to fund your 60 or 2 x 60 days visas, what is your source of income?

Your living expenses will vary on where you live, the two of you are going to need a minimum of $ 1,500.00 dollars a month, rent and food and necessities and always the unexpected in Thailand. $2,000 gives you some leeway if you are a drinker.The reality is that you need $3,000. a month or more for 2 of you to do something here, tour around, stay here and there, travel expenses, visa expenses, even a land border crossing to Laos, Lao visa $42. U.S. Dollars, for Canadians or 1,800 Baht if you pay in Baht, although you won't pay for the 30 day border entry coming back into Thailand.

Foreign imported food products are priced comparitively to Canada. Australian/New Zealand old Cheddar Cheese $6.00 a package. Bacon 120 - 150 Baht, don't know what you pay in Canada 5 or 6 dollars now I imagine, it has been a long time and I am out of touch.

LOL. You can stay here for much less than that. I live with my gf in a very nice condo in Bangkok, and our usual expenses are under $2,000 a month. In Chiang Mai it's even cheaper to live. Whether they need $3,000 or not depends on what tey want to do and what standard of living the aspire to. Some could do it on $1,000, while other may need $10,000. Don't know how you come up with the idea that they NEED $3,000. They don't. It would be nice but not necessary at all.

I agree, I can live on Samui for circa 1200 USD, I'm single,

don't need posh hotels, enjoy a beer or three, wine and eat well but healthily.

Edited by delh
  • Like 1

I don't know whether you can do this from within the country, but you can learn Thai and apply for an EDucational Visa. I think these last a year. You only need to attend classes for a few hours a week. Perhaps someone else can give further details about how to apply for one.

Don't go this route if you're truly not wanting to learn the language and only doing it to stay as you'll be scrutinized each time you go to immigration by showing your attendance record and/or Thai proficiency.

Also, these are not really 1 yr visa's as they are really back to back to back to back 3 month visa's as I believe they're advertised as UP TO 1 year.

You still have to pay the immigration fee each time as well and some of these schools are not cheap and are not very helpfull once money is in hand.

Caveat Emptor

I should mention that I am from the US, and was reading that if we come in by land we only get a 15 day extension? We were considering flying to KL Malaysia out of Krabi (only $140 round trip) and seeing what Malaysia has to offer. The only thing that scared me was when one guy told us we'd only be able to do it once (if we fly out and come back in we wouldn't be allowed to revisit again without an actual visa) but it seems like this might not be the case.

I sincerely appreciate the help here! Like I said we didn't anticipate wanting to stay for so much longer but this place is amazing. I am 26 and she is 24. Thinking a border run is the way to go. Once again appreciate the help! Hopefully any other travelers stuck in the same situation could find this information useful.

Only thing I'm still trying to verify is the multiple border runs. If anyone can verify that you can make multiple that would be great, as we intend on going to Laos, Vietnam, and Cambodia as well so if we would be allowed back in Thailand that would be fantastic.

Seems you have been taking advise from the "bar stool expert"!

Decide on how long you are wishing to stay and members will give you good advice !

Exiting and returning as as you suggest is no problem

More likely he's reading from a 'lonely planet' type guide book, which was published more than a few months ago when the rules changed for holders of passports from G7 countries.

I am from the US as well. I like the suggestion one poster said about making sure your relationship is for real and not just affected by Thailand and the beaches and the night life and the excitement of being on an vacation in South East Asia, not to mention the laughs the two of of you have certainly had and will have regarding guest houses, the local kids, the netting over the bed, squat toilets, and that first time you both rode that scooter. All of that adds to the romance... just make sure that it is for real is what I am saying.

Now, about the visa thing.....

1: You get a 30-day visa for crossing both by land and/or by air (as of Nov this year). No one printing guide books has caught up yet with this new change in the rules. This change only affects G7 countries (of which the US is one).

2: If you are in CM now... make a visa run to Burma up in Mai Sai (sp?). Go by Government bus. You can do it all by yourself (see below). Cost for entering Burma will be 500bht each. You can go to the market across the border and have a great time wandering the place for the day (or even afternoon). The Burma side will hold your passport for you and you pick it back up when you leave. Then re-enter Thailand and you will get a 30-day stamp (you will fill out the same arrival form as you did when you first arrived in Thai... but this time write "walk" in the space where it asks for flight info. There is no charge for entering Thailand!

3: Enjoy the 30-days!

4: You can do this again and again. But I suggest that the next one is done by going into Cambodia (Seim Reap is wonderful to go to and see... Ankor Wat). This can be done by government bus. Cambodia visa can be done online (for an extra $5 per person... so $25 each) or you can simply do it once you are there. It is easy. Again, afterwards when coming back into Thailand you will get another 30-day stamp (you will fill out the arrival 'card' again as before. Again, no charge for coming into Thailand).

5: Enjoy the 30-days!

6: You can repeat these types of trips (known by us old timers as "Visa Runs") as many times as you want. But remember that the rules say that it "up to the discretion of the immigration officer". This is true, but if you are not guilty of any crimes, and look presentable, then there should be no red flags so you will get stamped in. In truth.... you will have no problem unless you do this for an entire year time after time and even then the chances are slim.

7: Advice... do NOT use visa agents unless you know someone who has used them and unless you are damn sure! Their costs will be MUCH higher than doing it yourself and remember that the procedure is simple and easy to do. There really is no need for you to use agencies, unless you are wanting something more than a 30-day and cannot get away for some reason (like a job... which you should not have nor are you allowed to have on a tourist visa. I know.... I am just saying it for the record).

8: Good advice from posters about VTE in Laos and KL, and Penang. Both are worth a visit and easy to get to from Thailand. Good prices and easy for us Yanks.There are now Thai government buses that do the VTE run from Mo Chit bus station in BKK. As for KL and Penang... check Air Asia website! Great fares right now ($13 one-way from KL to BKK for example). Cambodia is also good. Though remember that in Cambodia you will get Dollars from any ATM... it is the preferred currency. Check agoda.com for hotels. They have a good selection and some great prices and are easy to use.

9: Stay clear for the moment from Ed-Visas. Unless you are serious and can get into a recognized school. Some will say whatever they can about getting you an Ed Visa, but the Thai government is cracking down on these fly-by-night ops.

10: Listen, there is a great deal to see and explore with your new love. Enjoy it all. The costs (against the Dollar) are small and as you can have a great meal for around $2 each so you will not go hungry. But I will offer a couple of further suggestions;

• Mini vans are fine and a bit cheaper. But Government buses are better and far more comfortable. You have 1st class and VIP class to choose from as well as 2nd class as well (there are also what are listed as 'S class' these are basically the same as VIP and might be a bit cheaper for some reason). Use them instead of the mini.
  • Never leave your passport with anyone when renting a scooter! It is not yours to hand over to a civilian. A copy of the pic page is good enough.
  • Do NOT rent a jet ski from anyone. I know that it is easy and looks like fun... but being new to the area, these people will spot you a mile off and will claim you damaged their equipment upon its return. Happens all the time.
  • Remember that the phone number 1155 which is to the Tourist Police really can be your best friend here. They are being pushed to help far more than they have in the past and are under the eyes of the Tourist ministry right now to really do a great job.
  • Bargain when you can for everything.
  • Remember to keep your credit cards and ATM debit cards with you and SAFE! If stolen they the issuing banks will only send replacements to your HOME address and not to you here. Some banks will arrange help for you through their branches here... like Citbank in BKK... but do not hold me to that one!). Your passport can be replaced here at the embassy, but keep it safe as well of course.
  • Do NOT argue as we would do in the States. Do not yell at anyone. Neither will work in Thailand and is frowned upon. It just will not get you anywhere (fast) if you get mad and aggressive.
  • Fighting (physically) will just get you beaten up by a whole mess of locals...not just by the guy you are fighting with.
  • Remember that 'Loss of Face' is huge here. Just smile a lot and be polite! It will be easier that way all round for everyone.

11: Finally, just enjoy your time and the time together. Romance is wonderful but make sure that it is for real and as I said not intertwined in the fact that you are here and not at home! Thailand is special, as is the whole area (well maybe except Laos...?).

Explore and enjoy!

1: You get a 30-day visa for crossing both by land and/or by air (as of Nov this year).

NO, you do NOT get a visa by crossing the border. You are visa EXEMPT

That means you do not get a visa, you do not need one, but obviously you can't do the things being exempt that you can with a visa. A visa must be obtained from a Thai embassy or consulate, never at the border.

It's important to get that terminology straight.

You cross the border either by land or by air, and you get a 30-day visa EXEMPT stamp in your passport permitting you to remain in Thailand for thirty days.