Centipedes

besth

A timely reminder to be careful when opening the box storing your Christmas trees! A centipede the size of a TV remote bit my wife on the neck & shoulder as she slept last year; having earlier been evicted from our tree box.

The tree currently reeks of mothballs but I doubt if that'll help the OP:)

Edited by evadgib

and when I prepare to come home from my overseas assignment I call the wife to say: 'hi darlin'! I'm coming home next week so clean out my study and kill all the takabs...'

and then she usually takes a strong bug spray and sprays under the furniture to flush them out and then when they appear she whacks them with a long handled device...usually does the trick...

ick...a bite from one ob dem critters can ruin yer whole time off from work...

and then I declare to the beloved little niece: 'look here darlin', with yer uncle tutsi around ain't no one gonna mess wid ye...' and then she replies: 'I'm 11 y.o. now uncle tuts and ain't no one gonna bite me, venomous insect or otherwise...'

WHACK!...get back ye nasty debbil...

• Like 1

I pretty much "live and let live".

But since my neighbor told me two of his golden labs have been killed by centipede bites, I "dispatch" them as soon as I see them.

I usually use a long bamboo pole to give them a damn good whacking.

That way I can still keep my distance.

One area of my yard seemed to have quite a few in residence.

Saw a couple crawl out of a crack in the soil along the foundation of my house while watering the garden one day in that area.

The next morning, I mixed up some chlordane in a watering can and soaked the soil around the foundation with it.

I haven't seen any centipedes in that area since.

It seems to have done the trick.

Chlordane is pretty strong stuff and can last up to a year for things like termites and ants.

I would not use it around anything someone might eat!

Choke dee!

I was rinsing off some walls to be repainted and the takabs didn't like water filling up their hiding places. So occasionally I would see one scurry by. While I was cleaning a high area I felt something tickling my foot. I glanced down and saw one entering my sandals. I jumped higher that day then I ever had, but my shoes never left the ground.

It took me a while to get back to work.

• 3 weeks later...

I pretty much "live and let live".

But since my neighbor told me two of his golden labs have been killed by centipede bites, I "dispatch" them as soon as I see them.

I usually use a long bamboo pole to give them a dam_n good whacking.

That way I can still keep my distance.

One area of my yard seemed to have quite a few in residence.

Saw a couple crawl out of a crack in the soil along the foundation of my house while watering the garden one day in that area.

The next morning, I mixed up some chlordane in a watering can and soaked the soil around the foundation with it.

I haven't seen any centipedes in that area since.

It seems to have done the trick.

Chlordane is pretty strong stuff and can last up to a year for things like termites and ants.

I would not use it around anything someone might eat!

Choke dee!

Where can I buy chlordane? Is there a brand name?

Sent from my HUAWEI MT1-U06 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It's been banned in the US since 1983, probably available at your local farm outlet sad.png

Since we started keeping chickens and guinea fowl we've seen a significant reduction in the creepy-crawly population, nice eggs too smile.png

• Like 1

It's been banned in the US since 1983, probably available at your local farm outlet sad.png
I used it in the US and realize how well it works when used properly. In my experience there wasn't a good replacement for it. That's why when I saw it mentioned above I asked where to find it.

Thanks

Chickens love snacking on centipedes and seem never to be harmed by them. This is one of the reasons many Thai yards have two or three chickens running about. And the eggs could be a great side benefit.

Chickens love snacking on centipedes and seem never to be harmed by them. This is one of the reasons many Thai yards have two or three chickens running about. And the eggs could be a great side benefit.

Chickens are good for eating Bing too, leaches to falangs

I used it in the US and realize how well it works when used properly. In my experience there wasn't a good replacement for it. That's why when I saw it mentioned above I asked where to find it.

Thanks

Hope you are drinking bottled water.

Home Pro sell a white powder for killing ants.

I dont know its name just look for a bag with an ant in a circle with a red stripe on it

It comes in 1 kilo bags.

Dust this around the outside of the house and NOTHING will enter

The first time I used it, I came out the next morning to see a multitude of dead critters

Ants , lizards, crickets plus more.

All they have to do is walk on it

I toss it over the mango trees to deter the red ants from building nests

In Japan, we leave our shoes on the Genkan or otherwise known as the front porch, just before you step up into the house.

Had one sneak into my shoe once. Went to put my shoe on and felt something moving around.

I had never moved so fast in my life to get that shoe off and the surprise of what fell out!!

In Japanese, called "Mukade" 百足, "one hundred feet".

Makes sense.

Home Pro sell a white powder for killing ants.

I dont know its name just look for a bag with an ant in a circle with a red stripe on it

It comes in 1 kilo bags.

Dust this around the outside of the house and NOTHING will enter

The first time I used it, I came out the next morning to see a multitude of dead critters

Ants , lizards, crickets plus more.

All they have to do is walk on it

I toss it over the mango trees to deter the red ants from building nests

You were made for this place.

Makes sense.

The same in Finnish, millipede is "one with thousands legs". Actually millipedes have about 100 legs and centipedes few tens. This is the reason why I always forgot which is which.

Better to think in Latin (or similar) as the length of the legs (pedes).

Millipede = millimetre legs

Centipede = centimetre legs

Makes sense.

The same in Finnish, millipede is "one with thousands legs". Actually millipedes have about 100 legs and centipedes few tens. This is the reason why I always forgot which is which.

Better to think in Latin (or similar) as the length of the legs (pedes).

Millipede = millimetre legs

Centipede = centimetre legs

Or more easily milli meaning 1000 and centi meaning 100. pede meaning foot