discrimination

true blue

Years ago on one of my first visits to Chiangmai I think I paid 500 baht to get into Mandalay Nightclub.

It came with a Large bottle of Heineken, still one of the biggest wastes of money on my part ever!

I was 42 at the time perhaps a little past the enjoyment age for this type of venue.wink.png.pagespeed.ce.HJgPQ3U3SA.png

Went there for the first time last night, and neither saw the sign nor heard anything about it. Presumably something new, as I don't remember ever hearing Infinity was one of those kind of places.

Been a year or two since I was last there. Wasn't greatly impressed then (with the food or the music or it's clientele). 200baht wouldn't put me off if it was worth it. Lots of clubs here have a cover charge if you don't buy a bottle - normally comes with a free drink though

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

A few months ago, I and my 2 foreign friends sat outdoor at the Infinity. This was after we decided to give the two young foreign girls to spend more time at the Monkey Club after we tried to pick them up to come back home (mine). We had our own Double Black and ordered some food. No extraordinary charges there for us! Is there an inside at the Infinity? I did see some glass enclosure there though.

A few months ago, I and my 2 foreign friends sat outdoor at the Infinity. This was after we decided to give the two young foreign girls to spend more time at the Monkey Club after we tried to pick them up to come back home (mine). We had our own Double Black and ordered some food. No extraordinary charges there for us! Is there an inside at the Infinity? I did see some glass enclosure there though.

Yes, there is a big inside room with the usual Thai-disco setup of tables and people standing/shuffling around their table. If they start to applying such a charge to foreigners only (and to the ones with comprehension problems, that is the point. The charge is for foreigners only. Nobody is complaining about a regular cover-charge for all people), I won't be going there again.

I hope you did not wait in vain.

This has been done to death. The reason is because foreigners don't spend much money there in comparison to Thais. They buy a beer or two and nurse it for an hour trying to pick up girls who aren't interested in them. During the same period of time, Thai patrons have purchased a bottle of booze and a couple of bottles of coke, soda water, ice buckets, etc.

I'm not saying the practice is right or wrong. Just the way it is. If you don't like it, go to one of the other 100 places in town.

• Like 1

Yes, there is a big inside room with the usual Thai-disco setup of tables and people standing/shuffling around their table. If they start to applying such a charge to foreigners only (and to the ones with comprehension problems, that is the point. The charge is for foreigners only. Nobody is complaining about a regular cover-charge for all people), I won't be going there again.

I hope you did not wait in vain.

We went to pick them up again after about an hour to two. I had no trouble sitting there watching the beer girls though, honestly! The beer girls did want to strike up a conversation with me, but I just chatted away politely. These two girls are just juniors working with one of my friends. My friend decided to have them live in my house for their safety, so he said. But the truth is probably he wanted to save some money for he had promised to pay everything for the 2 young girls in his office!

Now seriously, I don't think it's worthwhile to go into a place that discriminates so much. This actually is not the main reason though. The reason is: being a foreigner there, once you get into a confrontation, you will receive the bad end of it!

Edited by muchogra

We went to pick them up again after about an hour to two. I had no rouble sitting there watching the beer girls, honestly! These two girls are just juniors working with one of my friends. My friend decided to have them live in my house for their safety, so he said. But the truth is probably he wanted to save some money for he had promised to pay everything for the 2 young girls in his office!

Very thoughtful of him. As we all know it is very dangerous for two young pretty girls to stay by themselves anywhere in Chiang Mai. Should your house run out of free rooms, please have your friend consider sending me a PM. Do tell him to make sure to include with the PM a photo or two of the girl who needs a safe place to stay. As I have limited space, I have to give preference to those girl who are prettiest of course, as they would be in the greatest danger.

• Like 1

We went to pick them up again after about an hour to two. I had no rouble sitting there watching the beer girls, honestly! These two girls are just juniors working with one of my friends. My friend decided to have them live in my house for their safety, so he said. But the truth is probably he wanted to save some money for he had promised to pay everything for the 2 young girls in his office!

Very thoughtful of him. As we all know it is very dangerous for two young pretty girls to stay by themselves anywhere in Chiang Mai. Should your house run out of free rooms, please have your friend consider sending me a PM. Do tell him to make sure to include with the PM a photo or two of the girl who needs a safe place to stay. As I have limited space, I have to give preference to those girl who are prettiest of course, as they would be in the greatest danger.

Awk, I hope you heed my advice given in the last paragraph of my Post 14.

Yeah, I think it depends on who you are with. I went to Fabrique and wasn't charged, presumably because I was a lone foreigner with a bunch of Thai friends. Actually, I've never been charged to any bar or club. I've never been to Infinity. I'll have to check it out sometime.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What I find very advantageous growing up in Thailand is that I could speak Thai almost natively.

And the locals are very easily impressed. Often give me normal Thai rate for almost everything.

And Infinity never once charged me entrance fee :P. Drop a line of Thai and you'll be fine.

And that entrance fee doesn't include any drink. I asked a staff why the started charging. They mentioned a number of Farangs turn up at the place already drunk and just use their facilities without paying for a single drink.

This has been done to death. The reason is because foreigners don't spend much money there in comparison to Thais.

Oh good, it's not just because they are greedy f***ers and they know they wouldn't get away with charging it to the Thais.

• Like 2

This has been done to death. The reason is because foreigners don't spend much money there in comparison to Thais. They buy a beer or two and nurse it for an hour trying to pick up girls who aren't interested in them. During the same period of time, Thai patrons have purchased a bottle of booze and a couple of bottles of coke, soda water, ice buckets, etc.

I'd posit the average foreigner spends way more than the average Thai in such a place, who would typically be suppin' on glasses of soda with tincture of weak whisky in the bottom, and would deduce it is all about making more money and all about not wanting said foreigners.

With that, how I would love to open up my own club in farangland with huge sign thusly:

'THAI PEOPLE must pay to enter, everyone else free'

:P

I always see Thais with bottles and mixers and tourists nursing a beer. Saw it again all last Monday night at warm up.

Part of it is because they don't know that they need to get a table by 8:30 or are even unaware about how bottle service works in this country.

did see four farangs,ordered a bottle of vodka in monkey club the other week,and to be honest they polished it off in no time,even before id finished my second leo.they were certinally not leaving that bottle behind for next visit.

I always see Thais with bottles and mixers and tourists nursing a beer. Saw it again all last Monday night at warm up.

...and they bring the bottle in from outside. Not sure that's wildly different. Okay Thais tend to order more food, but in doing so they also take up more space than a dude with a beer at the bar.

If beer is the issue and places prefer to serve ice and mixers then they can just raise the price of (bottled) beer to a level where they feel it works.

Can leave the price of those beer towers the same, I can't see someone hugging one of those on their own.