Good Tire Shop in Central BKK?

Shurup

Hi folks, it's time to change the tires on my Honda Jazz, GF took the car to a Cockpit shop and got quoted almost 16,000 for the stock tires, came that came with a car (some Bridgestone). It's outrageous pricing of almost 4000 THB or $130 per tire. And I haven't done the research but I don't believe the stock tires usually of a good quality.

So what's the good brand / model of tires for a small car, and what's the prices I'd be looking at? Looking for good longevity in a first place as it's not a care car and crazy grip isn't required. I know we can't compare the car prices to those in US/Canada for example, but I know I can get a good set in canada for less than a $100 /tire. Didn't think the rubber falls into the same crazy tax category as the cars.

What do you suggest folks?

Thanks!

You didn´t mention your wheel specs, but a Jazz either has 175/65 R15 or 185/55 R16 if i´m not mistaken.

4000B is expensive, but also not that far away from the average prices, LOS is pretty expensive sometimes. I also compared the prices to Germany and didn´t find much difference at all. About 80€ or 110$ for a decent 185 tyre is needed, same here in LOS. I think this size seems to be a little more expensive than others, less common?

B Quik has good deals right now: 185/55/16 with tax, fitting, adjustment. You can check out the prices on their homepage. I think if you ask for some no name tyre you might get down to 2400-2500B, but i wouldn´t IMHO.

185/55/16

-GOODYEAR Excellence 2,890.00

-DUNLOP SP SPORT LM704 3,190.00

-BRIDGESTONE Ecopia EP200 3,390.00

-MICHELIN ENERGY XM2 3,650.00

Or if you want to talk about alternative tyre sizes or brands you might go to the Good Year Shop at Wong Wian 22. The shop is located directly in the roundabout itself, you cannot miss it. The owner speaks english very well. I´ve bought my tires there too.

Thanks. Yes I didn't mention the size as I'm at work so can't check, it's a top of the line Jazz model so if they were coming with either 15 or 16" depending on the model, that I've got 16.

I will check the B Quick and I'd rather go with the Michelin than that stock crap.

Thanks again.

There's a great place near to City Viva on Narathiwas Road inbound before you reach the Sathorn/Narathiwas intersection. Its a huge tire warehouse place between Anantara and City Viva/Empire Tower.

Price varies a bit it is certainly possible to find a cheaper tire than 4000b per tire, but likewise possible to spend more also; go to a place like this one and all the prices are marked right on the stacks of tires.

Been reading some forums and folds say that stock tires tend to be quite more expensive than non stock and that's make sense and I can confirm it too. A few years back she got a hole in a sidewall so we had to replace the tire, as the rest were still fairly good, we were looking for one of the same type (Brandt / thread) tires. Even Honda didn't have any in stock but Cockpit had some, they were a lot more than the other brands, I looked in the brochure while waiting for the car...

Checked online at Cockpit (all in Thai - not falang friendly) and they only got Bridgestones and one of Firestone varieties.

Also did some reading and those Michelin and GoodYear from B Quick shop getting fairly good reviews and not much for the reviews of anything else. Decided to go with GoodYear or if not available - Michelin.

B-Quick and Cockpit are the 2 main tire shops in Thailand, right? Is there others? I don't mean the backdoor mechanics or pop and mom shops, but fairly big businesses with tire stock and proper equipment?

There's a great place near to City Viva on Narathiwas Road inbound before you reach the Sathorn/Narathiwas intersection. Its a huge tire warehouse place between Anantara and City Viva/Empire Tower.

Price varies a bit it is certainly possible to find a cheaper tire than 4000b per tire, but likewise possible to spend more also; go to a place like this one and all the prices are marked right on the stacks of tires.

Will have to pass your post over to her and see if she can figure out, I'm at work till the end of the monthso she'd have to do it

Checked online at Cockpit (all in Thai - not falang friendly) and they only got Bridgestones and one of Firestone varieties.

The Cockpit I referred to has more than Bridgestone and Firestone. They also have Michelin and.... maybe not in stock but the next day! Maybe even Dunlop as they have a Dunlop sign.

If you want Goodyear they are at the corner of Rama IV and Sukhumvit

http://goo.gl/maps/nU1Ob

Edited by VocalNeal

I have the ecopia's as stock on my swift and they are quite good. You can go cheaper or more expensive, but to me tires are not something to be skimped on. I also like the michelin pilot sport 3 but not sure of the sixes they come in.

I've found tyreplus to be good value as well. Not sure if there is one near the OP's place.

• Like 1

Generally B-Quick is cheaper then Cockpit. They also stock more of the cheaper brands. If you wanna go really cheap there is always the thunderer series made by dstone (thai company) but they are noisy as hell though. B-quick often have deals on dunlop, toyo, yokohama. Brands like bridgestone and michelin are rarely discounted unless the tires are getting old. Check the manufacturing date!

• Like 2

I have the ecopia's as stock on my swift and they are quite good. You can go cheaper or more expensive, but to me tires are not something to be skimped on. I also like the michelin pilot sport 3 but not sure of the sixes they come in.

I've found tyreplus to be good value as well. Not sure if there is one near the OP's place.

Used them before but switched over to B-quick about 5 years ago when tyreplus tried to sell me a set of 6 year old tires!

This was the branch on On Nut road.

The Cockpit I referred to has more than Bridgestone and Firestone. They also have Michelin and.... maybe not in stock but the next day! Maybe even Dunlop as they have a Dunlop sign.

If you want Goodyear they are at the corner of Rama IV and Sukhumvit

http://goo.gl/maps/nU1Ob

How come they don't show it on their web site? blink.png Hard to deal with a company when you don't know what they carry and when branch from branch are so different?

Well as it will be a GF who'd have to take the car to change the tires, I don't think she'd be running around the BKK looking for the tire shops and checking their stocks. I have a feeling it will be the B Quick taking our money, but I'd ask her to go and check, or call a few other places.

P.S. OP's locations is Udomsack (sp???)

Used them before but switched over to B-quick about 5 years ago when tyreplus tried to sell me a set of 6 year old tires!

This was the branch on On Nut road.

555 that reminds me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVvcD4Czx4Y

Well as it will be a GF who'd have to take the car to change the tires, I don't think she'd be running around the BKK looking for the tire shops and checking their stocks. I have a feeling it will be the B Quick taking our money, but I'd ask her to go and check, or call a few other places.

P.S. OP's locations is Udomsack (sp???)

I think the problem is that you are doing everything by proxy. I.e. GF and Internet.

Let the GF get the tires changed and then pay whatever it costs. She probably doesn't know which side of the tire is the outside.

Or Soi 71 isn't far from Udom Suk and neither is the corner of Rama IV. Tell her to go to both places and ask how much, then you can decide. In theory she will be happy to do this if she can save you money.

• Like 1

Generally B-Quick is cheaper then Cockpit. They also stock more of the cheaper brands. If you wanna go really cheap there is always the thunderer series made by dstone (thai company) but they are noisy as hell though. B-quick often have deals on dunlop, toyo, yokohama. Brands like bridgestone and michelin are rarely discounted unless the tires are getting old. Check the manufacturing date!

I agree with B-quick and the Thunderer but not certain when you bought them before, the most recent generation is quite a bit better in all aspects, grip and especially noise..

http://www.b-quik.com/en/index.php

Pricing and tire offerings..

Edited by WarpSpeed
  • Like 1

I'd agree with Jean Luc..

BTW Think I just saw that episode the other day when Data created his own offspring. Good to be back, missed Star Trek and ironically it's on BBC U.S. .

Are you on drugs or is this some tyre code.

Yup, he got me confused too. :D

Not drugs, yes code it is but apparently a few members know what I speak... tongue.pnggiggle.gif

Perhaps you should reconsider the drugs ?

OP, For tyre shops, try Tyre Plus. They tend to be cheaper than Cockpit and B-Quik

Edited by Jitar

I told her to go to a B-Quick and change them and she's done a little research on her own and said that she found a place that will install Michelin MX2 tires 200 bht cheaper per tire comparing to a B-Quick, so 800 bht savings. I told her to go ahead, didn't ask the shop name, she said she was told their tires are not even a month old and she said at B-Quick she was told they're almost a year old...

Is there a manufacture date anywhere on a tire, once you remove that sticker from it?

I think she's changing tires today. Will ask her what's the shop name.

Tyre Plus have some older tyres for sale at a discount , suits a few folks, they are mainly for farmers trucks though,not recommended. If You look a "Bit Skint",they offer them to You. Schoolteacher Types i Guess.cheesy.gif .

Sounds like you been getting special treatment Ace.

Well, it was the Tyre Plus shop that she found this deal at, too bad she couldn't remember the shop's name and only sent me a pic of the shop logo, when she was waiting for new tires to be installed.

I hope the Ace of Poop is wrong in his statement. LOL

Ace's consumer advice is a bit like Jeremy Clarkson's.

The Tyre Plus we have used for car and truck tyres has been good but like B-Quick and cockpit so YMMV with different branches. Generally they offer a range from cheap to expensive tyres so a lot will depend on what your GF agreed to.

If you want to check the age of your tyres, there is a 4 digit number molded in to the sidewall, indicating year and week of manufacture.

• Like 1

I told her to go to a B-Quick and change them and she's done a little research on her own and said that she found a place that will install Michelin MX2 tires 200 bht cheaper per tire comparing to a B-Quick, so 800 bht savings. I told her to go ahead, didn't ask the shop name, she said she was told their tires are not even a month old and she said at B-Quick she was told they're almost a year old...

Is there a manufacture date anywhere on a tire, once you remove that sticker from it?

I think she's changing tires today. Will ask her what's the shop name.

Would be interesting to see if they really sold tires that are just a month old. Maybe they wanted to say: we got them delivered just a month ago. But as stated already, there are manufactoring dates on the rubber and you can find a dozen guides via google how the check the production date.

Anyway, sounds like a good deal, Michelin is never wrong, they´ll last for while and save you even more $ during that time.

BTW, as we are talking about buying and installing tires, can somone tell me why the workshops in Th. always seem to fill the tires with a very low pressure? I always wanted to ask them why, but forgot about that everytime when i had the car in some shop. Has it anything to do with the heat? Do they get confused with the different tags from cars/manuals which sometimes are in bar or psi? It seems to be almost 8-10psi from the recommended pressure. Maybe I´m doing it wrong all the time? smile.png

Edited by I knew this would happen

• 4 weeks later...