How to wire myself cash in Thailand?

I've been stupid and lost my card in an ATM at Bangkok airport (earlier thread). The airport people are calling me this afternoon to say if they found it. Assuming it is lost, what would be the best way to send myself cash out here from the UK?

I have read the thread about onshore/offshore rates - seems like there is no difference now, and various threads from people sending money for Condos. I am only looking to send about £1500 and I don't have a bank a/c here.

I am in Bangkok now, but would like to shift to Hua Hin. Should I wait here in Bangkok to do the transfer or can it be done just as easily in Hua Hin?

I have an account with World First and one with Currencies Direct in the UK. They give good rates and do free transfers. [edit - they listed the interbank rate, so not sure how this will compare to Thai rates]

Could you recommend a good bank to receive the money in Thailand and is there anything that I should bear in mind?

Edited by nemo38

If you have a bank account with Bangkok Bank in Thailand, you can transfer money online or at the counter from your UK bank via Bangkok Bank London Branch using 6 digit sort code 60 93 98 in your transfers instruction. The fee is lower than swift transfer services.

More details in their website: www.bangkokbank.com > Personal Banking > Transfers > Transfer into Thailand > Transfer money from the UK to Thailand

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUK/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUK.aspx

G'luck

If you have a bank account with Bangkok Bank in Thailand, you can transfer money online or at the counter from your UK bank via Bangkok Bank London Branch using 6 digit sort code 60 93 98 in your transfers instruction. The fee is lower than swift transfer services.

More details in their website: www.bangkokbank.com > Personal Banking > Transfers > Transfer into Thailand > Transfer money from the UK to Thailand

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUK/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUK.aspx

G'luck

Thanks for this, I have been using ukforex and getting hit with 7GBP in the UK and 100 THB at BKK bank

I see they have two rates, exchange in the UK or exchange in Thailand.... any ideas which one is best, or is it a matter of timing given there is a one day difference in the rate calculation?

Western Union rates are out of the roof. If you need a small amount just for a few days you can get it sent by Western Union. Open a Thai bank account when you are in HH and then wire cash from the UK to your Thai bank. My UK bank to my Thai bank takes 24 hours and its a £25 fee for any amount.

You can always pawn gold too.

Cancel your card straight away and check your online banking to see if your money is still in your account. Why are you waiting for the airport to see if they find it? If it falls into the wrong hands there will be several copies of it being used around Pattaya right now.

have your bank fedex you a replacement card... if they do that. it might be a bit late, but here's how i handle the "lost ATM card" problem

i have two checking accounts. ATM debit cards for both. the first is my primary, everyday use account. the second is my backup. i put the debit card for the backup account in a pre-paid fedex (or UPS or whoever) envelope and leave it where a friend back in home country can get it. if lose my primary card, i can go online, transfer all the cash out of that account to the backup account. then notify the bank to cancel the primary account. then i call my friend, give him the address where i can recieve the fedex, and withing two days, i have a functional account, with all my cash available.

i did make a Bangkok Bank account last time i was in thailand. i have successfully transferred money to their branch in New York City thru bank-to-bank ACH transfer. only cost $3. but it took over a week for the money to appear in my BKK account.

The issue about getting a new card sent to you is the address on the card account will be different to the address you need for your Thailand (delivery) address.

Someone I know well had the same problem as you and his bank would also not deliver a new card - However they would sent it to the British Embassy address in Bangkok (since they will check your passport on collection). I Was told that it is a service that the British Embassy advertise and offer in their marketing options at a cost of 3,000 Baht - Since i have not used this I have no further details of this. I can only provide you with a rough direction for another option.

I'm afraid I've no bank here. Just in the UK. I'm off to Hua Hin tomorrow and will see if I can arrange a transfer to a bank there or by Western Union (depending on who does the best rates).

Well I can tell you now who has the best rates. Your problem though is you need to have an established Thai bank account to transfer money to. Thus the issue will be the degree of urgency. If you don't have sufficient cash to last you for several days then you probably have no choice but to bite the pillow and use Western Union.

• Like 1

Western Union perhaps the most expensive way to do it.

LOL yes.

It depends on the amount and if you do it online. Five dollars for four hundred dollars

The price is cheaper or free if you have an account to put it in.

In Philippines I can pick up the money in dollars. Never tried to pickup dollars here ...only in baht. (they give you a pretty bad exchange rate). Together with the five dollar charge...it does add up.

Occassionally, Western Union gives out promotional rates if you receive a code in your emal. I was using their service for free using the code HAIYANRELIEF, but that ended. I got the notice in an email (get an account with them and request special offers).

Sooooo, has anyone tried to pickup Western Union in Dollars? There is another service called XOOM..but i haven't used it. I think thats cheaper.

I consider transportation and ease of sending money from my own home as offsets to the 5 dollar charge (again ..depends on the amount)

If you send money from the uk to Philippines then you can use Worldremit. There fees are more competitive than WU.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Says topoff phone only. No pickup options if done from usa. I do see it would work for United Kingdom

Checked XOOM...looks like the best. Not available for Thailand though...

taken from XOOM website

Send up to $2,999 for only $4.99

• Generally available within 15 minutes
  • 13,539 locations, many open 24/7
  • Pick up cash in Pesos or U.S. Dollars
  • Your recipient does not need a bank account

My question is, if your money is in the UK bank, can you do the transfer in Western Union if you are here?

I don't know how can anybody do that?

you do it online at the Western Union website. very simple. and fairly instantaneous. I

if you are not in a hurry, there are other options at cheaper prices....i.e. .. send to a bank or waiting three days is almost half price.

some people just won't look....that is their choice.

if you do it in person, it is higher.

My question is, if your money is in the UK bank, can you do the transfer in Western Union if you are here?

you do it online at the Western Union website.  very simple. and fairly instantaneous.  I

if you are not in a hurry, there are other options at cheaper prices....i.e. ..  send to a bank or waiting three days is almost half price.

some people just won't look....that is their choice.  

if you do it in person, it is higher.

WU transfer to bank acc. Very cheap, rates not to bad but 3 day wait.

Just checked it again. Online fee to send 500 usd to Thailand

To a Bank account (7 days) 2.99

(3 days) 5.99

or

Pickup at Post Office or WU Office pay by credit card and wait 3 days is 7.00

Please note...if you want it in a few minutes...the cost is crazy high. That is where people go wrong. It is $42.00.

Good news is do it online with a Mastercard or Visa and wait 3 or 4 business days.