Help regarding selection of university for degree.

I studied International Business at Payap University in Chiang Mai and think it was a good education. If I didn't love Chiang Mai so much I would have gone to Assumption for my MBA but have no desire to live in Bangkok. However, some of our MBA teachers come from Assumption and they are very good. Aj. Ishmaiel, for one, taught an awesome Financial Management class that was simply amazing. I would love to take his class again. If the rest of ABAC's teachers are like him then I would definitely encourage you to consider studying there.

I actually considered chiang mai university but I do not have the desire to stay in Chiang mai. I prefer bangkok more.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Mahidol seems to have the best reputation among those three. I've had some students go to MUIC (Mahidol) and they are happy with the standard or teaching. Other students I know went to ABAC - they would not have qualified for MUIC. I would look further into the mix of students in these courses. Avoid courses with exclusively Thai students, as some lecturers end up teaching in Thai, even though it's supposed to be an 'international' program. One lecturer even commented to of my students - your english will NT improve in this degree....wow! I won't mention which university that was but it's one of the biggest. Anyway, do your homework and choose wisely.

Look into the other threads about citizenship, as that is a completely different story. If you are serious about that, you should learn to speak, read, and write Thai.

That's why I wish to learn to speak, read and write thai while I study in thailand. Cause to be able to fully learn it, I have to practice it often.

Not sure if you have been living in Thailand or not....But if so, one other good thing about Mahidol that I don't believe any other university in Thailand does....It is normal that most Universities will have tuition rates based on "Thai national" and "non-Thai national"MUIC bases on "Resident" and "Non-Resident"... In order to qualify for resident rates, you just need to show proof that you have been living in Thailand for at least 5 years http://www.muic.mahidol.ac.th/eng/wp-content/downloads/academic/Paying_Resident_Tuition_Rate.pdfThey are also very update on the tech side as well.Free wi-fi on campus, multiple free computer labs, also all registration for classes is done on-line through their web portal So you can register your classes from home if you like... Or from back in your home country while on your semester breakhttp://oasis.muic.mahidol.ac.th/MUIC.htm

For me, should be non-resident as I did not live in thailand for 5 years before. I'm very grateful for your information but I'm confused. I'm a singapore citizen. But when I called muic, they claimed that singapore is not an english native speaking country even though singapore's main language is English.

Just means that you would need to submit TOEFL or IELTS test results and sit the English entrance exam. They also have entrance exam in Math as well...

All students were required to take the entrance exams, but was able to avoid the English, as transferring from US university and also had taken SAT and ACT in US, with decent results, so did not have to take the English entrance exams. Also submitted letter with my application and they have also been taken into account.

Did you take any standardized tests in English or able to show them results from your previous university with tests in English?

Perhaps they may waive? Not sure, but worth checking.

May be worth checking.

Mahidol seems to have the best reputation among those three. I've had some students go to MUIC (Mahidol) and they are happy with the standard or teaching. Other students I know went to ABAC - they would not have qualified for MUIC. I would look further into the mix of students in these courses. Avoid courses with exclusively Thai students, as some lecturers end up teaching in Thai, even though it's supposed to be an 'international' program. One lecturer even commented to of my students - your english will NT improve in this degree....wow! I won't mention which university that was but it's one of the biggest. Anyway, do your homework and choose wisely.

Look into the other threads about citizenship, as that is a completely different story. If you are serious about that, you should learn to speak, read, and write Thai.

That's why I wish to learn to speak, read and write thai while I study in thailand. Cause to be able to fully learn it, I have to practice it often.

When I was at MUIC, they offered classes in Thai 1, 2 &, 3 (only for foreign students)... So you could take 3 semesters of Thai language. They teach reading,writing and speaking

Not sure if you have been living in Thailand or not....But if so, one other good thing about Mahidol that I don't believe any other university in Thailand does....It is normal that most Universities will have tuition rates based on "Thai national" and "non-Thai national"MUIC bases on "Resident" and "Non-Resident"... In order to qualify for resident rates, you just need to show proof that you have been living in Thailand for at least 5 years http://www.muic.mahidol.ac.th/eng/wp-content/downloads/academic/Paying_Resident_Tuition_Rate.pdfThey are also very update on the tech side as well.Free wi-fi on campus, multiple free computer labs, also all registration for classes is done on-line through their web portal So you can register your classes from home if you like... Or from back in your home country while on your semester breakhttp://oasis.muic.mahidol.ac.th/MUIC.htm

For me, should be non-resident as I did not live in thailand for 5 years before. I'm very grateful for your information but I'm confused. I'm a singapore citizen. But when I called muic, they claimed that singapore is not an english native speaking country even though singapore's main language is English.

In general, native speaking countries are the USA, UK, Australia, and New Zealand. I'm not sure if South Africa is considered native speaking. For sure, Singapore is not considered a native English country.

Just means that you would need to submit TOEFL or IELTS test results and sit the English entrance exam. They also have entrance exam in Math as well...

All students were required to take the entrance exams, but was able to avoid the English, as transferring from US university and also had taken SAT and ACT in US, with decent results, so did not have to take the English entrance exams. Also submitted letter with my application and they have also been taken into account.

Did you take any standardized tests in English or able to show them results from your previous university with tests in English?

Perhaps they may waive? Not sure, but worth checking.

May be worth checking.

I did my studies in singapore fully in English. I did GCE O's level for English also.

In general, native speaking countries are the USA, UK, Australia, and New Zealand. I'm not sure if South Africa is considered native speaking. For sure, Singapore is not considered a native English country.

That's really depressing to hear that as Singaporean did studied fully in English for all level of studies in Singapore.

• 3 weeks later...

I Was studying in ABAC for 3 years about architecture and product design the place (bang na campus) is really nice its like dream lake inside university and a full glasses resturant beside that or 2 mini mall for eating or some small shop BUT BUT BUT teachers barely are fluent in english LOL !!!! and when they cant explain in english they will explain in thai (in my major was like this ) they will charge u anytime they can it was not only me most of my foreigners friends did the same after 2 -3 years gave up there and change it to some where else i choosed Ramkhamhaeng because its cheap and easy to pass ( in Ramkhamhaeng u will take subjects 1 by 1 it means u should pass one and then u will pass another one) the teachers are mostly foreigners (inc americans british ,indians , bangladesh.........) but the good thing is they can speak english very well compare to abac ( ABAC is disaster in some majors ) also i have many friends to move in to Ramkhamhaeng from abac its not best like CHULA or luxurious like ABAC but its cheap and they have good teachers (better than ABAC trust me ) hope u can find your best ;)

I Was studying in ABAC for 3 years about architecture and product design the place (bang na campus) is really nice its like dream lake inside university and a full glasses resturant beside that or 2 mini mall for eating or some small shop BUT BUT BUT teachers barely are fluent in english LOL !!!! and when they cant explain in english they will explain in thai (in my major was like this ) they will charge u anytime they can it was not only me most of my foreigners friends did the same after 2 -3 years gave up there and change it to some where else i choosed Ramkhamhaeng because its cheap and easy to pass ( in Ramkhamhaeng u will take subjects 1 by 1 it means u should pass one and then u will pass another one) the teachers are mostly foreigners (inc americans british ,indians , bangladesh.........) but the good thing is they can speak english very well compare to abac ( ABAC is disaster in some majors ) also i have many friends to move in to Ramkhamhaeng from abac its not best like CHULA or luxurious like ABAC but its cheap and they have good teachers (better than ABAC trust me ) hope u can find your best ;)

Regarding that, I'm curious whether graduates from ramkhamhaeng can get as much salary as abac?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm an ABAC grad, I would go with Mahidol if I did my degree again, mostly because ABAC IMHO has gone backwards a little.

FYI if you speak (as I assume you do) Chinese, you should not have a problem getting a job at all.

We hired a Chinese guy out of ABAC, he struggled the first year, was good the 2nd year and now is frigging AWESOME at his job (since promoted) and he has leveraged that he speaks Thai, Chinese, English very well - you could be the same.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk further.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been asking around. Abac is the most famous private international university in thailand. Well known for business course. Mahidol is the top 3 local university in thailand. Teaching styles, i'm not sure about it.

Remember, well known means just that, well known. It doesn't mean it's good. ABAC is essentially the university that a lot of lazy rich kids who didn't do well enough to get into the Big 3 (Chula, Thammasat and Mahidol) go to as a last resort because they can buy their way in. Also, many things here have a "great repuation" that isn't warranted. You need to do the proper research to make sure what works best for you. There is another topic in this forum that talks more about the quality of the education here that might be helpful also. In the end if you plan on staying in Thailand and a Thai degree will get you the job, it doesn't matter the quality of the degree. As long as they take it the important thing. Just don't think your Thai degree will take you anywhere outside of Thailand. Chula the "top" university here, only finished 220 out of the best universities in Asia.

I've been asking around. Abac is the most famous private international university in thailand. Well known for business course. Mahidol is the top 3 local university in thailand. Teaching styles, i'm not sure about it.

Remember, well known means just that, well known. It doesn't mean it's good. ABAC is essentially the university that a lot of lazy rich kids who didn't do well enough to get into the Big 3 (Chula, Thammasat and Mahidol) go to as a last resort because they can buy their way in. Also, many things here have a "great repuation" that isn't warranted. You need to do the proper research to make sure what works best for you. There is another topic in this forum that talks more about the quality of the education here that might be helpful also. In the end if you plan on staying in Thailand and a Thai degree will get you the job, it doesn't matter the quality of the degree. As long as they take it the important thing. Just don't think your Thai degree will take you anywhere outside of Thailand. Chula the "top" university here, only finished 220 out of the best universities in Asia.

But I do not have the guarantee that I could get in chula. I also wanted to go in there. But my gpa is low as I didn't study during my diploma and regretted it. Therefore abac is my option.

Out of the 3 universities you listed in your original post, I would choose Mahidol. It's the most respectful of the 3 IMHO. They have the most money too so more resources to do more things. Assumption has the most international students. Ramkhamheang is not bad either but I'm more attracted to Mahidol.