Help regarding selection of university for degree.

Hey, I'm having difficulty regarding selecting a university to study in. I am interested in taking bachelor in international business. I have three universities in mind - abac, mahidol and ramkhamhaeng. Can anyone enlighten me which is a better choice and which would enable me to secure a job in Thailand easier?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Well so, you better known teaching courses first before you unroll. I recommend Abac and Mahidol. Compare between both of their courses and then you can decide which is most suitable for you. Because only teaching courses can be the one different thing. Other stuffs are your choices! Hope you can get better education and great job!

The only issue with most of the local universities is, that their international programmes are not truly international and do not have a great recognition overseas for further education or jobs.Even top international companies operating in the region looking for graduates with international programmes look for institutions with reputed programmes globally.So I think if you are looking for a truly international programme degree you should look for more institutions. Hope this helps smile.png

Jun I am assuming from your post that you are interested in attending programs taught in English rather than Thai language programs, and clearly you are interested in becoming employed in Thailand. Although there are a number of English medium degree programs around the country that will help you meet your requirements, they might not bring you to the attention of top international companies in Thailand. A new international programme which offers qualifications from the United Kingdom's vocational education system might offer additional benefits as far as this is concerned. The new programme leads to qualifications that are awarded by the UK's largest examination board. They have a very good reputation with top international companies and employers, and if you are driven to attaining a Bachelors degree at a foreign university they can help you get onto an international Bachelors degree program in around 100 countries. The programme is being offered by Regents International College in collaboration with International Vocational and Business Education (IVBE). This is the first and only authorized center offering these qualifications in Thailand. They have set up a large campus right in the heart of Bangkok, with world class facilities and international teachers. If you wish to know more about IVBE's program take a look at their website and feel free to "Private Message" me for additional information. John - http://ivbe.co.th

Jun

Duly noted. If your needs change and you are looking to take a degree abroad contact me and I can tell you more about the IVBE program. Best of luck with your endeavors and let this forum know when you have citizenship :)

John - IVBE

The only issue with most of the local universities is, that their international programmes are not truly international and do not have a great recognition overseas for further education or jobs.Even top international companies operating in the region looking for graduates with international programmes look for institutions with reputed programmes globally.So I think if you are looking for a truly  international programme degree you should look for more institutions. Hope this helps Posted Image

Another person with no clue what they are talking about. It doesn't help.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I graduated from MUIC (Mahidol) with major in International Business

From my experience the level of teaching was very good and have only good things to say about my experience.

They also offer an external internship in Senior year as part of your degree program (6 credits), which can be very helpful if planning on stating and working after graduation

I am actually still working for same company I did my internship with going on 7 years ....

Yes. I'm interested in being employed in thailand. But the thing is, I wish to get thai citizenship also. So I'm trying to get it by graduating from a university in thailand and working for a few years. Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

You only get a diploma and transcripts from graduating from a Thai university. As far as I know, citizenship is not even an issue. I think what you want to do is not possible.

Well, it's not impossible, but it's very difficult to get citizenship. I think the point that has to be made is they are two very, very different and separate issues and this thread can only address the one relating to education. For a place to start on the citizenship issue, you might want to look here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/61-visa-immigration-forums/

Anyway how's the salary offered? And any important things to take note about the course in muic?

I have no complaints on my salary, but salary negotiations can always vary between applicants and companies.

There are min salary requirements set by the labor department based upon nationalities, but just like any where else... You start out at entry level and then work your way up.

Can check from salary guide from Adecco below for some idea

You may be able to get a bit more as a local hire expat, depending on your skills, but it isn't too far off for local salaries

http://www.adecco.co.th/Adecco-Thailand-SalaryGuide-2013/Page-Cover.html

Mahidol - best reputation. Attracts people with money, so probably good for contacts post-study.

Ramkhamhaeng - cheapest, but surprisingly good teaching. The brightest and the best of the less affluent do well here.

ABAC - well, if you like religious indoctrination, they score pretty well. Their home page http://www.au.edu/ highlights Reverend Brother Martin. For me personally a total turn-off.

Mahidol seems to have the best reputation among those three. I've had some students go to MUIC (Mahidol) and they are happy with the standard or teaching. Other students I know went to ABAC - they would not have qualified for MUIC. I would look further into the mix of students in these courses. Avoid courses with exclusively Thai students, as some lecturers end up teaching in Thai, even though it's supposed to be an 'international' program. One lecturer even commented to of my students - your english will NT improve in this degree....wow! I won't mention which university that was but it's one of the biggest. Anyway, do your homework and choose wisely.

Look into the other threads about citizenship, as that is a completely different story. If you are serious about that, you should learn to speak, read, and write Thai.

While I was at MUIC , I can't recall any class during the 3 yrs I was there where I was ever the only foreigner in the class

While there surely are more Thais than foreigners (most), there were a couple dozen other foreigners that were "full time" students and then a lot more every quarter that were there in exchange programs

Also all classes that I took, the teachers always taught in English... Full stop...

Although it is true that sometimes during the class the teacher may once in a while make a comment in Thai .. But nothing that is needed for learning the topic.

Usually just a short joke (one sentence) or a translation of what they already said in English if a Thai student has a question... But even that was a pretty rare thing

Also there were a fairly large number of foreign professors, especially in the Humanities, liberal Arts, social Sciences....

Not sure if you have been living in Thailand or not....

But if so, one other good thing about Mahidol that I don't believe any other university in Thailand does....

It is normal that most Universities will have tuition rates based on "Thai national" and "non-Thai national"

MUIC bases on "Resident" and "Non-Resident"... In order to qualify for resident rates, you just need to show proof that you have been living in Thailand for at least 5 years

http://www.muic.mahidol.ac.th/eng/wp-content/downloads/academic/Paying_Resident_Tuition_Rate.pdf

They are also very update on the tech side as well.

Free wi-fi on campus, multiple free computer labs, also all registration for classes is done on-line through their web portal

So you can register your classes from home if you like... Or from back in your home country while on your semester break

http://oasis.muic.mahidol.ac.th/MUIC.htm

"secure a job in Thailand easier more easily"

1. Mahidol

2. ABAC

3. Ramkhamhaeng

in that order. wai.gif

Agree with that in respect of status but ABAC grads are more international in their thinking. Mahidol has higher ranking. RU is university in name only,,,,a pity because some bright and lovely kids study there ( but lots of ratbags)

Mahidol - best reputation. Attracts people with money, so probably good for contacts post-study.

Ramkhamhaeng - cheapest, but surprisingly good teaching. The brightest and the best of the less affluent do well here.

ABAC - well, if you like religious indoctrination, they score pretty well. Their home page http://www.au.edu/ highlights Reverend Brother Martin. For me personally a total turn-off.

I have extensive experience with Assumption University (ABAC) and can attest that religion is not a factor unless you opt to study Theology. The International BBA program is completely nonsectarian.

The end of university journey is finding employment. If I were you, I will study in Singapore. If you cannot enter university with your high school results, you can still go via the polytechnic path. There are a few polytechnics in Singapore. After graduating, SG government will get you to stay back and work because the fees paid is subsidised. You could also continue to study in Singapore universities. Poly graduate get paid about 2.5k SGD (60k bahts)depending on courses. You can return to LOS later.

Sent from my GT-I9205 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I studied International Business at Payap University in Chiang Mai and think it was a good education. If I didn't love Chiang Mai so much I would have gone to Assumption for my MBA but have no desire to live in Bangkok. However, some of our MBA teachers come from Assumption and they are very good. Aj. Ishmaiel, for one, taught an awesome Financial Management class that was simply amazing. I would love to take his class again. If the rest of ABAC's teachers are like him then I would definitely encourage you to consider studying there.

The end of university journey is finding employment. If I were you, I will study in Singapore. If you cannot enter university with your high school results, you can still go via the polytechnic path. There are a few polytechnics in Singapore. After graduating, SG government will get you to stay back and work because the fees paid is subsidised. You could also continue to study in Singapore universities. Poly graduate get paid about 2.5k SGD (60k bahts)depending on courses. You can return to LOS later.

Sent from my GT-I9205 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Regarding that, I'm already a graduate of Singapore Polytechnic - the first polytechnic in singapore. But the problem is I wish to learn thai during the period of studying in university. And to master it and effectively achieve that is by studying in a thai university.

Not sure if you have been living in Thailand or not....But if so, one other good thing about Mahidol that I don't believe any other university in Thailand does....It is normal that most Universities will have tuition rates based on "Thai national" and "non-Thai national"MUIC bases on "Resident" and "Non-Resident"... In order to qualify for resident rates, you just need to show proof that you have been living in Thailand for at least 5 years http://www.muic.mahidol.ac.th/eng/wp-content/downloads/academic/Paying_Resident_Tuition_Rate.pdfThey are also very update on the tech side as well.Free wi-fi on campus, multiple free computer labs, also all registration for classes is done on-line through their web portal So you can register your classes from home if you like... Or from back in your home country while on your semester breakhttp://oasis.muic.mahidol.ac.th/MUIC.htm

For me, should be non-resident as I did not live in thailand for 5 years before. I'm very grateful for your information but I'm confused. I'm a singapore citizen. But when I called muic, they claimed that singapore is not an english native speaking country even though singapore's main language is English.