best properties for young british expats

br0wnd0g23

Hi

We are looking to move to chiang mai next year. We have are a British couple with a 21/2 year old daughter and a dog. Schooling option at the moment is Lanna international school.

We are visiting in January and are going to look around the schools and various areas.

Could anyone advise what would be a suitable area for us please.

We will be looking to get a car, but if we don't need to straight away then that would be a bonus.

Appreciate any info

Andy

Hi Worgeordie.

We have two options. For a start my daughter is without doubt going to be put into a school. So we are looking at Getting her the education visa, then my wife will get the guardian visa with the 500,000 baht in the account for a couple of months etc.

The other option we are looking at is also enrolling my wife in a Thai language school and she can get the yearly visa. This at the moment seems to be a very good idea anyway as Im sure learning the language will help in day to day basics.

I will also be looking at joining the class as well, but with my job, i will be leaving the country every week, so my visa will get stamped well within the time constraints on the visa.

Cheers

Andy

If you're looking at LIST, then South-of-town or a central-location might be best, the rush-hour traffic is getting very bad these days, might also be worth asking LIST what routes their vans operate, and looking along them ? Also be aware of the flight-path for planes arriving/departing CNX.

And welcomeani.gif.pagespeed.ce.WEO6J5z5nm.g

Thanks Ricardo, well that is a bit of great advice. If they do Bus runs for the school then that will definitely influence our location. We are moving from Hong Kong so rush hour traffic does not appeal to me, we are quite happy changing to a quiet life.

Also the flight path is not really a bother to us as my wife was ex cabin crew and I actually fly for a living.

Thanks for the advice.

Ok Thanks. I have heard that Hang Dong would be ideal and obviously suitably located, but a car is needed. Also I have been advised to go directly through a landlord rather than an agent. Not sure how easy this would be considering we wont be in the country that long before we need to move in.

Cheers

If you are leaving the country every week you want to be close to the airport which makes the LIST area very convenient. The traffic and aircraft noise is really not that bad. Rent a car for a while and drive around - there are many moobaans around that area that would make an ideal location. Just a matter of deciding on a budget and finding something to your liking in your price range. Two months rent deposit and one month rent upfront is a common requirement. I don't agree with a blanket statement that renting directly from an owner is better than going through an agent. There are good and bad in both.

Hi Worgeordie.

We have two options. For a start my daughter is without doubt going to be put into a school. So we are looking at Getting her the education visa, then my wife will get the guardian visa with the 500,000 baht in the account for a couple of months etc.

The other option we are looking at is also enrolling my wife in a Thai language school and she can get the yearly visa. This at the moment seems to be a very good idea anyway as Im sure learning the language will help in day to day basics.

I will also be looking at joining the class as well, but with my job, i will be leaving the country every week, so my visa will get stamped well within the time constraints on the visa.

Cheers

Andy

Dear OP,

You mentioned "... with my job...".

Have you checked about a work permit?

I've recently moved into town, into Baan Nai Fun, on the canal road. This is not far from the school that you are talking about and has beautiful views of the mountains and quite a lot of families with younger children. It may suit you well.

You can find it on the online map that I have found incredibly useful : http://findercm.com/maplower.html (grid reference 140:NM)

Lanna school is at: 168:NC

PS This is my first post, because I felt the need to help you out. I have been reading for a while though: please ignore the "how will you get a visa" brigade on here - they don't exist except on-line at ThaiVisa. Bored, grumpy old farts me thinks!

Hi Worgeordie.

Cheers

Andy

Dear OP,

You mentioned "... with my job...".

Have you checked about a work permit?

He seems to be working overseas as a pilot,so wont need a work permit here.

regards Worgeordie

Hi. Cheers for the replies. Yep my job will be based flying out of Hong Kong, so my work permit will be based out of there, and then i position in and out of Honkers to work.

A lot of the ares seem very feesable, i take into consideration the burning, but i currently live in Hong Kong where the air is not always the cleanest.

We are planning to visit all the areas mentioned and get a feel. Out budget will be around the 30-35000 baht/month looking at the websites it seems you can get a hell of a lot for your money for that. Maybe in a community with facilities close by. The biggest consideration will be my wife really as i will be out of the country every week for a week, so she needs to be comfortable.

Thanks Again for taking the time