Oil Spill Ko Lan Island

lemoncake

They talked about it on the Looktung radio network this morning.

According to the guest, the spill is actually pretty big and crews were there cleaning it already.

I guess its been kept silent in English speaking media to avoid further damage to tourism

Haven't seen this reported - but have noticed over last week or so (maybe coinciding with political unrest) that some media organisations seem to have almost closed up shop. Online for one of the newspapers it seems, with the exception of updates on political situation, that no crime or local news has occurred. Is this a case of some Newspaper head offices being located in areas affected by political rallies/ unrest maybe?

Apologies for swerving topic a little but wondered if there is any link in non reporting of possible spill and what seems (maybe just my imagination) to be a slow down in local reporting.

If you have booked a room there or just want to know maybe you can call the Pattaya Help Call Center at 1337, or maybe even the TAT.

You sure this isn't stemming back from the big oil spill a couple of months ago?

WitaWatWataWit,

you could be on the money with it being a resources issue that is leading to reduced level of local (non political)news.

Fakename - cheers for backing up the observation - am starting to get a bit bored with reading only about primary colours - love the local news - some of the stories are too outrageous to be anything but the truth.

OP -If you get there tomorrow could you give us an update on this thread if you get the chance. Hope it is rumour or over exaggeration - small tourist businesses have a bit to deal with at the moment without beaches being potentially damaged.

WitaWatWataWit,

you could be on the money with it being a resources issue that is leading to reduced level of local (non political)news.

Fakename - cheers for backing up the observation - am starting to get a bit bored with reading only about primary colours - love the local news - some of the stories are too outrageous to be anything but the truth.

OP -If you get there tomorrow could you give us an update on this thread if you get the chance. Hope it is rumour or over exaggeration - small tourist businesses have a bit to deal with at the moment without beaches being potentially damaged.

I have not seen it with my own eyes and not plans to go, i was told by my guest who took a trip there.

According to him, its a pretty big spill stretching a fair bit.

I do not think media is over stretched, i think its more the case of not telling to avoid further cancellations, as high season is no longer high for this year.

Would not even surprise me if in the mist of all the trouble, company responsible for the spill did not even report it and doing the clean up on side.

So are these just unconfirmed rumors or is there actually someone that has seen an oil spill, or the aftermath of one?
Granted it's a few days since I was out there, but on the 5th (i.e. last week), the water out there were as pristine as it gets.

So are these just unconfirmed rumors or is there actually someone that has seen an oil spill, or the aftermath of one?

Granted it's a few days since I was out there, but on the 5th (i.e. last week), the water out there were as pristine as it gets.

My guest was there a few days ago, he has seen it, was given special soap/oil to shower with to get the oil off.

I personally have not seen it and hence the post to verify if anyone else has heard or seen anything.

If it's not in the media I don't believe it. The media has no need to cover up. Maybe the guest was refering to the old oil spill as I said and they are still talking about it and supplying special soap. Maybe he/they missunderstood someone talking about it.

oops I did not see the above link from BB1950. Now I see. :)

Edited by Gone