Australian Rules Football 2014 - Tipping, Chat & The Dream Team

chooka

We desperately need a key position defender.

Laidler is okay, but he will only ever be okay.

Rohan has a lot of potential. I'll forgive him that horrendous GF game and that horrendous kick in..and that horrendous game near the end of the season tongue.png.

Rohan began life as a forward, so maybe Membrey could slot down back? w00t.gif

Laidler kind of got forgotten about, didn't realise he played 19 senior games last season (which was the same amount he earned playing in his first season with the Blues). Will be interesting to see his development throughout pre-season and see if he steps up. I think based on current form, this vacancy goes to Rohan, especially if he puts in a strong pre-season and builds his confidence that would be exactly what we need. He can do exactly what Malceski used to do only he can do it a lot quicker. I think putting Membrey down back would be a massive waste, the kids built to be upfront, unfortunately we've got a wealth of forward stock (unless we can get rid of Reid) and he'll find it hard getting a full time slot.

Dean Towers could also fit in that slot as a rebounding halfback, he's got the speed (not as quick as Rohan) but can certainly move. Needs to put on a bit of bulk though in order to use his body more.

I think if the - unlikely - trade between us and the Lions for Patfull goes ahead then we'll need not worry any more.

Our compo for losing Malceski? Pick 39.

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2014-10-07/malceski-compo-decided-syd

• Like 1

Brisbane could do okay out of the trade period.

Christensen wants a move to Queensland
GEELONG midfielder Allen Christensen is set to seek a trade to a Queensland-based club.
Neither Christensen nor Geelong has announced the midfielder's desire to leave the Cattery, but AFL.com.au understands Christensen's manager, Tim Hazell, was in contact with the Brisbane Lions on Tuesday night.
Lions recruitment manager Peter Schwab told AFL.com.au on Wednesday morning he had spoken with Hazell about Christensen's desire to relocate to Queensland.
But Schwab said any trade to the Lions would be 'hypothetical' while the club was locked in negotiations to secure Collingwood midfielder Dayne Beams.

Here is some of the text from that article..

Sydney has been told it cannot trade any players into the club this year or next unless the club is prepared to bring about an instant end to the cost of living allowance.

The Swans are extremely unhappy with the AFL directive, which also prevents the club from recruiting any restricted or unrestricted free agents to the club before the end of 2017.

It means the club will only be able to replace a player who seeks a trade out of the club with a draft pick or picks.

The Swans lost Nick Malceski to Gold Coast as a free agent this week, and have young forward Tim Membrey on the way to St Kilda.

Following discussions last month, the league wrote to the Swans last week confirming the club's recruiting would be restricted to draftees, delisted free agents and promoted rookies.

Should the club choose to pursue a restricted or unrestricted free agent, or trade a player in, its COLA payments would cease immediately.

As it stands, COLA will be phased out over the next two years and replaced in 2017 with a new rent subsidy that will be paid from the league to lower-paid players

AFL trades: Joel Patfull close to joining GWS Giants

BRISBANE is expected to offload experienced defender Joel Patfull to GWS in exchange for pick 21 to help facilitate the arrival of Geelong’s Allen Christensen to the club.

No official paperwork has been lodged in the trade between Brisbane and GWS for Patfull but both clubs have agreed to terms, reports The Courier Mail’s Greg Davis.

Patfull has a year to run on his contract with Brisbane but told the club he was open to a trade to a Sydney team as he wanted to reside in the Harbour City post-football.

Edited by BookMan

Jeff Garlett's just found a new home at Melbourne as well as pick 83. Carlton get picks 61 and 79 in return...

I'm really disappointed the Eagles didn't make a play for Garlett.

We certainly need some pace. Pretty disappointed in WC at the draft so far to be honest.

• Like 1

SYDNEY Banned from taking free agents for 2 years unless they give up the COLA

Staggering decision IMO.

Sure Sydney made the most of the rules they were given. Getting hold of Buddy and

playing off in the GF were probably the last straw.

The AFL folded under pressure mainly due to the charge by Eddie.

Would a decision like that even be legally binding?

A sad day for footy methinks.

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1

Brendan McCartney has quit as coach of the Western Bulldogs.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8917463

I think that's the best thing for the Bulldogs. They have already lost Higgins and maybe Griffen. Griffen might stay now?

It continues the worrying trend of the tail wagging the dog IMO.

That's 3 coaches gone due to apparently player unrest.

• Like 2

North are doing well from trades this year...

Cooney the next Dog to sniff the wind

ADAM Cooney could join former Western Bulldogs teammate Shaun Higgins at North Melbourne next season after meeting the Roos at Arden Street on Friday morning.

Cooney appears set to leave the Whitten Oval after the Bulldogs offered him to Carlton earlier this week as part of a proposed trade that included Liam Jones.
But it is believed the 2008 Brownlow medallist, who is set to become an unrestricted free agent at the end of 2015, remains open to a trade and has attracted the interest of clubs including North and Essendon.
Edited by BookMan

Brendan McCartney has quit as coach of the Western Bulldogs.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8917463

I think that's the best thing for the Bulldogs. They have already lost Higgins and maybe Griffen. Griffen might stay now?

It continues the worrying trend of the tail wagging the dog IMO.

That's 3 coaches gone due to apparently player unrest.

The coach has gone, but it also looks like 3 of the complaining senior players will be gone also

• Like 1

Jeff Garlett's just found a new home at Melbourne as well as pick 83. Carlton get picks 61 and 79 in return...

We certainly need some pace. Pretty disappointed in WC at the draft so far to be honest.

Why do you think they have been quiet?

Why do you think they have been quiet?

I'm not too sure BookMan. WC have never really been that active in trade periods.

Sides like us and Freo are sort of limited as we try and get WA players who want to return home.

I've said it once before, sides from WA are severely disadvantaged in trying to get players across

the border. There's the whole uprooting of families, the constant travel etc.

But having said that, apart from the odd snippet I've read, WC just seem to be sitting on their hands.

At least Freo have tried in recent years to get Cloke, Buddy, Clarke etc.

Unless we try and get some more good players, I fear we will be overtaken next yearby GC, GSW

and even Brissy.

Will probably finish between 8th and 11th next year.

• Like 1

Just heard from Somchai that the word on the Soi is that Dustin Fletcher is going around again in 2015.

This club is a joke.

I think the Bombers may need everyone they can get. Congrats to Somchia for being selected.

Just heard from Somchai that the word on the Soi is that Dustin Fletcher is going around again in 2015.

This club is a joke.

Word is that Bomber didn't think he should go on. Fletch was actually dropped by

Bomber several times this year.

James hird is a good mate and wanted him to keep going though.

Will be interesting to see what happens this year.