Australian Rules Football 2014 - Tipping, Chat & The Dream Team

chooka

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-02/dogs-eye-swans-talls

Well.. That's almost as funny as Hannerbry going to Richmond..

I love a good conspiracy theory but wow.. That's some high grade tin foil going on there!

Offload Reid to anyone I say.

To me, Membrey should be a required player. Both Goodes and Reid currently stop his permanent selection in the team

Edited by BookMan

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-02/frawley-to-play-for-hawks

Good decision I guess, but he'll certainly have his work cut out for himself...

I wonder if Lake is retiring?

Either way, free agency, the way it is now is killing the competition.

Good players are not going to go to the bottom clubs and the strong

clubs like Geelong, hawthorn and Sydney can just top up.

Thoughts fella's?

My opinion is Free agency is good for the game.

It gives lesser teams the opportunity of getting decent players to rebuild with.

The player can also get more money than they might have elsewhere choosing a lesser club.

Sure there will be players going to good teams, but the team still has to afford the player.

Good teams generally have to start paying their players more money to keep them around. Look at malceski leaving the Swans.

So it all comes around.

Of course, well run teams and well run football departments go a long way. A lot of teams seem to be on a 2-3 years 'we have to make the top 4/8 mentality. Look at the statement from that numbnuts at Adelaide when they sacked Sanderson. Something along the lines of 'We can't tolerate failure' or words to that effect.

Doesn't bode well for long term planning

I love a good conspiracy theory but wow.. That's some high grade tin foil going on there!

To me, Membrey should be a required player. Both Goodes and Reid currently stop his permanent selection in the team

I can't agree with you there BM, Reid needs to be traded but a basket case of a club like Footscray can't offer us anything worth while. Future draft picks? Even that's a gamble.

Membrey? Would not be trading him especially as a package deal with Reid.

• Like 1

I can't agree with you there BM, Reid needs to be traded but a basket case of a club like Footscray can't offer us anything worth while. Future draft picks? Even that's a gamble.

Membrey? Would not be trading him especially as a package deal with Reid.

That article says Membrey has asked for a trade. Get rid of Butterfingers. Goodes has to be told to retire or be cut. Shaw needs to go also.

Jesus wept. How many more years do we need to give Reid?? Can't run, Can't tackle, Can't mark, Can't kick goals. Much more suited to St Kilda or the Bulldogs.

Membrey has to stay. Mitchell, I'd prefer to see him stay. But if Sydney are not going to play him, free up the cash.

Edited by BookMan

Membrey asked for a trade because of lack of opportunity, Swans give that to him next season then he's likely to be locked away.

Agree that Goodesy's holding the likes of Membrey back, but if we trade Reid that will also free up a slot for him. Goodesy's role next season is the super sub, the same way that the Dogs played Gia this season.

Shaw might yet still retire, it would've been a lot easier had the boys won last week, but revenge is an aphrodisiac for revenge.

But that's why the Swans employ people like Tom Harley, to take care of business...

;)

Why is James Hird hanging on like grim death to the Essendon coaches job or should we say to appeal the latest court decision?

For who of you who have forgotten he is a director/part owner of a sports managment company, this drug scandle will be detremental to his position, the guys is a natural networker and member of the blue rinse set, i would think that unless he can reverse the courts decision in time it will or could affect his business intrests for when that day comes where he no longer is involved with AFL football as a coach.

Just my thoughts on this,

Time has come to end it yet james keeps fighting, its not about the players or club anymore its about James Hird and his buisness future, its such a shame to see this once great and decorated player still draging his club through the mud. The bombers have stood by him but enough is enough they want it over as everyone else.

• Like 1

Robbie Flower at 59 has died suddenly, the casue is yet unknown, one of the Demons greatest ever players, RIP.

Definately sad news and was a great player indeed.

flower0310g_225.jpg

Like the Irish Brownlow Medallist, Flower started his career as an unlikely top-level footballer and went on to become one of the best.

When he joined Melbourne in the early 1970s, Flower was a thin kid who weighed just 68kg and wore thick spectacles.

It appeared as if far bigger, meaner opponents in the then-VFL would soon snap him in two.

Flower never added much to his physique but the size of his heart, combined with sublime pace and skill, meant he became a star.

A lifelong Melbourne fan, Flower made his senior debut for the club in 1973 - only a year after joining.

He would play 272 games for the Demons, then a club record.

Flower was a rare ray of light for Melbourne fans in a bleak era when they were never finals contenders.

At the height of his career, Flower was the Demons.

Melbourne's much loved No.2 was one of the top wingmen in his heyday and also played with aplomb on either a half-forward or half-back flank.

He topped the Demons' goalkicking three times and twice finished third in the Brownlow Medal.

Flower captained the club from 1981 until his retirement in '87 and also led Victoria three times.

Everyone, no matter which team they followed, admired Flower.

He was renowned for being a clean ball player and was never reported.

In Flower's last season, the Demons made the finals for the only time in his career.

Flower's last game was one of the most iconic matches in AFL history - the heartbreaking preliminary final loss to Hawthorn at Waverley Park.

A young, inexperienced Stynes accidentally ran across the mark, giving Gary Buckenara a crucial 15m penalty for his shot at goal after the final siren.

Buckenara duly kicked the winning goal.

Years later, Flower revealed he threw a can of drink against the wall in the changerooms post-match.

That was noteworthy in itself, because to the best of everyone's knowledge Flower had never lost his temper playing the game.

In retirement, Flower became a Demons board member and was an advocate for men's health after he survived a bout of prostate cancer.

Flower had heart surgery earlier this year and it was reported on Thursday night that this contributed to his sudden death.

ROBERT FLOWER

* DOB: 5/8/55

* 272 games for Melbourne 1973-87, 315 goals

* Melbourne captain 1981-87

* 15 games for Victoria, three as captain

* International Rules v Ireland, 1984

* Three-time Melbourne leading goalkicker

* AFL Hall Of Fame inductee

* Named on the wing in Melbourne's team of the century

• Like 1

Frawley is going to the Hawks...............thank god, good fit for them but not worth the bucks at Deeland, i think the pick up of Lumumba if they can manage the trade is a better out come for us than keeping Frawley.

I'm undecided if free agency will be good in the game long term.

But I'm sure the way it's going now is terrible for the game.

It helps the strong get stronger and makes the weak weaker.

Unless they're paid well over the odds, good players won't go

to poor teams. And for a lot of the players, they have been on

a good wicket for so long, even money won't tempt them. They

want to play in a premiership team like Brian Lake has done.

I agree with Roosy "Free agency is the greatest de-equalisation policy we've had in the last 100 years of footy,"

Free agents are better than high draft picks because you know what you're getting.

how about this for an idea? If you get someone via free agency, you have to give your draft pick up.

So Geelong will have to give up their first pick for Mitch Clarke, hawthorn their pick for Frawley. The system

will have to be tweaked for midrange players as no one would give up a first round pick for a player like Higgins.

The best team in the comp, hawthorn, will now be even stronger before the draft period even begins.

IMO, that's just not right.

We need a think tank to look at this now I reckon.

The draft pick issue is an interesting one. Not sure why a team doesn't lose a pick by taking a free agent. Would certainly make other teams think about it. Makes sense to have it that way.

There is the players POV to be considered also. 6-7-8 years service at a club and they might feel they have earned the right to move to a club of their choice, seek out finals opportunities, earn some good money for their retirement years.

There are not many fields where potential earnings are restricted, but, being an AFL players is one of them. I don't see any restrictions on coaches salaries or club movement.

I believe the AFL should be looking at increasing the availability of player stocks. The perfect way to do this is to run academies through Queensland and New South Wales.

The AFL gives a lame $1 million a year to run the Swans academy. It should be a combined $10million for GWS/Swans and another combined $10 million for Brissie/GC.

Having academies in those states, run through existing club infrastructure, could see scores more players coming into the system who would otherwise never have entered into an AFL career.

My point being. Free agency is an issue only because there is a lack of depth of players to go around all the clubs.

• Like 2

I'm undecided if free agency will be good in the game long term.

But I'm sure the way it's going now is terrible for the game.

It helps the strong get stronger and makes the weak weaker.

Unless they're paid well over the odds, good players won't go

to poor teams. And for a lot of the players, they have been on

a good wicket for so long, even money won't tempt them. They

want to play in a premiership team like Brian Lake has done.

I agree with Roosy "Free agency is the greatest de-equalisation policy we've had in the last 100 years of footy,"

Free agents are better than high draft picks because you know what you're getting.

how about this for an idea? If you get someone via free agency, you have to give your draft pick up.

So Geelong will have to give up their first pick for Mitch Clarke, hawthorn their pick for Frawley. The system

will have to be tweaked for midrange players as no one would give up a first round pick for a player like Higgins.

The best team in the comp, hawthorn, will now be even stronger before the draft period even begins.

IMO, that's just not right.

We need a think tank to look at this now I reckon.

The draft pick issue is an interesting one. Not sure why a team doesn't lose a pick by taking a free agent. Would certainly make other teams think about it. Makes sense to have it that way.

There is the players POV to be considered also. 6-7-8 years service at a club and they might feel they have earned the right to move to a club of their choice, seek out finals opportunities, earn some good money for their retirement years.

There are not many fields where potential earnings are restricted, but, being an AFL players is one of them. I don't see any restrictions on coaches salaries or club movement.

I believe the AFL should be looking at increasing the availability of player stocks. The perfect way to do this is to run academies through Queensland and New South Wales.

The AFL gives a lame $1 million a year to run the Swans academy. It should be a combined $10million for GWS/Swans and another combined $10 million for Brissie/GC.

Having academies in those states, run through existing club infrastructure, could see scores more players coming into the system who would otherwise never have entered into an AFL career.

My point being. Free agency is an issue only because there is a lack of depth of players to go around all the clubs.

I strongly agree with this issue. There just isn't enough quality players for 18 teams.

I still think we have too many teams in Victoria. Cull a few teams and bring it back

to a 16 team comp would be a start.

• Like 1

Gee, North have done well so out of FA.

Waite and Higgins are a big plus.

I wonder if that will be enough to propel them into the top 4?

They can have Goodes if they want. Apparently he is playing on an extra year. w.t-f?

Edited by BookMan

Gee, North have done well so out of FA.

Waite and Higgins are a big plus.

I wonder if that will be enough to propel them into the top 4?

They can have Goodes if they want. Apparently he is playing on an extra year. w.t-f?

As a non-Sydney supporter looking in, I thought it was time for Goodsey to go.

Last game played by him was more than fair. I'd hate to see him just play as a

sub and heavens forbid actually be dropped.

We had 2 similar scenario's with our champs this year.

Darren Glass felt his time had come and retired on the spot

which allowed us to develop McGovern down back.

IMO, Big Cox should've done the same. he dragged it out as long

as possible though, which meant us often going in too tall with 3 ruckmen

as the powers that be didn't want to drop Cox.

Coxy should've pulled the pin a lot earlier which would've allowed us to get

more games into Lycett.

It's always a delicate balancing act with your aging champions. And money is

still a big issue for them. Another year on $300 000ish, is nothing to be sneezed at.

• Like 1

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-03/indemand-malceski-still-a-chance-to-stay-a-swan

I'm backing Malco in for the Swans next year. Gold Coast? Surely not for him.

Sounds to me Malco will probably stay at Sydney and is just trying to get

an increase in money.

Forcing his worth upwards...good on him

Can't knock him for trying...

My spidey senses tell me that something might happen either tonight or tomorrow regarding an answer... Swans B&F aka Skilton Medal on tonight ;)

Edited by GrantSmith

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-03/indemand-malceski-still-a-chance-to-stay-a-swan

I'm backing Malco in for the Swans next year. Gold Coast? Surely not for him.

Sounds to me Malco will probably stay at Sydney and is just trying to get

an increase in money.

Forcing his worth upwards...good on him

Can't knock him for trying...

My spidey senses tell me that something might happen either tonight or tomorrow regarding an answer... Swans B&F aka Skilton Medal on tonight wink.png

Franklin? Kennedy? Parker? Malceski?

My spidey senses tell me that something might happen either tonight or tomorrow regarding an answer... Swans B&F aka Skilton Medal on tonight wink.png

You'd be hard pressed to go past any of those, Spiderman is where my money's at...

You'd be hard pressed to go past any of those, Spiderman is where my money's at...

Goodes and Shaw both confirmed they'll play on next year.

Sydney should have retired both of them, in my view

Spider-Man's just won the Bobby Skilton, from Joey Kennedy second (hasn't finished outside the top 5 since joining the club) and Buddy finishing third in his first Skilton race.

Rounding out the top 10

K. Jack, McVeigh, Malceski, McGlynn, Smith, Rampe and Cunningham

• Like 1

harry O's speech at last night's F&B......keep watching until the end.

Good luck Roosybiggrin.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdK5XX8DO6Q

HAHAHA...............................OMG what have we got? part time philospher? prince? of? hahaha at least the boy can play football.....he can do what Frawley cant and thats run with the ball out of defense.