Australian Rules Football 2014 - Tipping, Chat & The Dream Team

chooka

The meatloaf thing had just become to much for him.tongue.png

he still claims it to be a success doesn't he?

Yea well, but the whole country cringed. biggrin.png

The AFL is in good shape (imo) and future plans look good. Not as Vic centric as they once were. Old flubberguts has done a pretty job all up

The meatloaf thing had just become to much for him.tongue.png

he still claims it to be a success doesn't he?

Yea well, but the whole country cringed. biggrin.png

The AFL is in good shape (imo) and future plans look good. Not as Vic centric as they once were. Old flubberguts has done a pretty job all up

Yes I agree and that is the only reason I could throw up the meatloaf bit, with the smiley.

I don't agree with him not being Vic centric.

The moving of several finals games, against the stated rule,s to appease Victorians particularly rankled.

Case in point - Freo (much as I hate them) having to play their big final at Geelong's home ground and not at the MCG. The crowd limitations at the suburban ground cost the AFL money, apart from being a blatant attempt to get another Victorian team to the GF.

• Like 1

Black and White, the same the world over.... laugh.png

FA charges Newcastle manager Pardew for head-butt

LONDON (AP) — Newcastle manager Alan Pardew is facing a long stadium ban after being charged Monday by the English Football Association with improper conduct for head-butting an opposing player during a Premier League match.

Sorry to mention the round ball game here, just thought it was worth a giggle.

(Port Adelaide Magpies is the exception to the rule of course). cool.png

• Like 1

The moving of several finals games, against the stated rule,s to appease Victorians particularly rankled.

Case in point - Freo (much as I hate them) having to play their big final at Geelong's home ground and not at the MCG. The crowd limitations at the suburban ground cost the AFL money, apart from being a blatant attempt to get another Victorian team to the GF.

You could be right. I just thought there had been a number of decisions made in relation to interstate clubs that didn't sit well with some Victorian clubs. eg: COLA, extra draft picks for GC and GWS , etc.

I thought the Geelong home final was Geelong's choice. The AFL didn't have the power to move them to the MCG because Geelong's home ground was in Geelong?

LONDON (AP) — Newcastle manager Alan Pardew is facing a long stadium ban after being charged Monday by the English Football Association with improper conduct for head-butting an opposing player during a Premier League match.

oh no facepalm.gif ..Alexrrr will be back promoting the A-League

• Like 2

You could be right. I just thought there had been a number of decisions made in relation to interstate clubs that didn't sit well with some Victorian clubs. eg: COLA, extra draft picks for GC and GWS , etc.

I thought the Geelong home final was Geelong's choice. The AFL didn't have the power to move them to the MCG because Geelong's home ground was in Geelong?

First time it's been used for a final. Massive home ground advantage for a lot of reasons. Small capacity for a finals game.

Wouldn't happen to another Victorian team! Imagine if Collingwood had been told they had to play a final there!

• Like 1

First time it's been used for a final. Massive home ground advantage for a lot of reasons. Small capacity for a finals game.

Wouldn't happen to another Victorian team! Imagine if Collingwood had been told they had to play a final there!

Capacity constraints aside, that's what a home ground advantage is.... It's rather unfair that Geelong's finals games were being held at Etihad or the MCG, it's not their traditional "Home" groudn.

Bit different from the rest of the Victorian based teams as they play all of their home games (with the odd exceptions who play some interstate) at either Etihad or the MCG, Geelog's are split between 3 venues.

In the end it didn't help them as they lost to Freo anyway...

Personally, I don't think it was the AFL being "Vic-centric" in having the Cats play at Kardinia Park. Seemed only fair, they'd earned the right to play at "Home" finishing 2nd. I think the reasons why the AFL weren't playing finals there was due to the ongoing redevelopments of the ground over the last 10 years.

• Like 1

khun chooka,

What's your take on this latest development?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-03-04/new-start-for-finnis

Hard to say mate. Don't know much about the guy. Yea he sounds ok with his footy industry experience.

Matt Finnis's Overview Current
  • Chief Executive Officer at AFL Players Association
Past
  • Lawyer at Lander & Rogers
  • Clerk / Lawyer at Rigby Cooke Lawyers
  • Sponsorship Services Manager at Anti-Cancer Council Victoria
Education
  • Mentone Grammar School

Finnis, who lives in the traditional Saints territory of Beaumaris - and relatively close to their Seaford base - fits the three major criteria that the Saints wanted for their new CEO. These were that the new CEO had to have experience as a chief executive, that he needed to have football industry experience and that he had the right values and cultural outlook for the club.

• Like 1

Seems the rest of AFL world will be championing this decision...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-03-04/afl-to-scrap-cola

Not much else on it other than it's going to be phased out, doesn't say from when though...

The COLA is a good idea, but widely misunderstood.

When Buddy choose to come to the best run team in the AFL, The Sydney Swans, he got an extra 9%ish on top of his salary. Like every player in the Swans outfit. He didn't get all the COLA allowance for the team. The money paid for him still had to fit under the cap (then add 9%)

Salary caps need to be adjusted and differed for a variety of reasons, cost of living amongst them. Ability to attract players away from AFL breeding grounds can only strengthen the game long term.

• Like 1

Nice detective work there Chooka.

No associating with Ross Lyon skeletons in the closet? tongue.png

It's all public knowledge bookman with the linkedin, it is the face book the employed.

Not much else on it other than it's going to be phased out, doesn't say from when though...

When Buddy choose to come to the best run team in the AFL, The Sydney Swans, he got an extra 9%ish on top of his salary. Like every player in the Swans outfit. He didn't get all the COLA allowance for the team. The money paid for him still had to fit under the cap (then add 9%)

Salary caps need to be adjusted and differed for a variety of reasons, cost of living amongst them. Ability to attract players away from AFL breeding grounds can only strengthen the game long term.

Yes Bookman but that cola was one hell of a carrot on top of his salary, what would that be 900K yeah definitely pat his mortgage in full. Free house basically for him in Sydney.

Yes Bookman but that cola was one hell of a carrot on top of his salary, what would that be 900K yeah definitely pat his mortgage in full. Free house basically for him in Sydney.

Buddy loves his carrots, keeps his eyes sharp for kicking goals.

If he gets 1 million a year he gets an extra 90K a year.

$1 million wouldn't be lucky to get him a one bedder near where the Swans train and play.

Most of the Swans guys have to share houses with each other. That might be good for them if they like to get greased up and share the love, but more difficult for those with families.

GWS, lot cheaper out that way, but still ridiculous. Peak hour it would be and hour and half drive between the Swans base and GWs base.

Gold Coast. half the price of Sydney, even cheaper probably. Easy to get around, good roads, not a big peak hour. Near their home ground, houses are cheap as chips. Need for an allowance? Maybe, to attract players to live there

Ahhhh no i wont if you knew last weeks pathetic showing in the derby game at AAMI studum that i happened to go to...well they did just get of the plane from an Asians Champions League game.

I like the Magpies in the UK since Vaduka played for them, and i love Newcastle Brown Ale bu ti do think Mr Pardew has worn out his welcome up there.

And once the AFL season starts so will my atvar....

Ahhhh no i wont if you knew last weeks pathetic showing in the derby game at AAMI studum that i happened to go to...well they did just get of the plane from an Asians Champions League game.

I like the Magpies in the UK since Vaduka played for them, and i love Newcastle Brown Ale bu ti do think Mr Pardew has worn out his welcome up there.

And once the AFL season starts so will my atvar....

What is the Asians Champions league? I haven't heard of this. I love football and if the afl had teams in asia I would have loved to watch it. Vaduka was a late draft pick by the Magpies right? I haven't heard of him and haven't put him as a emergency in my dreamteam. I searched the magpies list and couldn't find him.

• Like 1

Buddy loves his carrots, keeps his eyes sharp for kicking goals.

If he gets 1 million a year he gets an extra 90K a year.

$1 million wouldn't be lucky to get him a one bedder near where the Swans train and play.

Most of the Swans guys have to share houses with each other. That might be good for them if they like to get greased up and share the love, but more difficult for those with families.

GWS, lot cheaper out that way, but still ridiculous. Peak hour it would be and hour and half drive between the Swans base and GWs base.

Gold Coast. half the price of Sydney, even cheaper probably. Easy to get around, good roads, not a big peak hour. Near their home ground, houses are cheap as chips. Need for an allowance? Maybe, to attract players to live there

He doesn't have to live on the harbour. I believe the guys out in the western suburbs also get the cola. Make it a flat rate for every single afl player in Sydney and many would accept it but when it is based on a % of your contract it is wrong. The new recruit should get the same basic allowance as Buddy. It should not be used to entice players. A knew recruit will still pay the same amount for a cup of coffer as Buddy. No wait, Buddy is a celeb so he will probably get his coffees for free.

He doesn't have to live on the harbour. I believe the guys out in the western suburbs also get the cola. Make it a flat rate for every single afl player in Sydney and many would accept it but when it is based on a % of your contract it is wrong. The new recruit should get the same basic allowance as Buddy. It should not be used to entice players. A knew recruit will still pay the same amount for a cup of coffer as Buddy. No wait, Buddy is a celeb so he will probably get his coffees for free.

Chooka, a million bucks is NOT on the harbour...1 Mill would get an inner city or inner west or Eastern suburbs 2 bedder. If the AFL starts drafting players direct from China then some of those blokes could probably afford an Ocean View

The method of COLA disbursement cold be refined.I don't know if 9% is the correct formula or a pro rata rate depending on circumstances is the right formula. There could be plenty of discussion on that point. A flat rate wouldn't work nor be fair for established and marquee players

Sydney has typically attracted big name players who have wanted to escape the glare of public scrutiny in Melbourne or have been dissatisfied. Lockett, Hall. Most others are home grown from draft picks or are discarded players from other clubs , who Sydney have molded into winners. There was the Edelston years when he bought as many good players as he could, showing money can attract decent talent

Tippett was the first genuine big money signing not trying to escape. Then Buddy. Sydney able to attract them because they created a winning culture.

So really, even with COLA it has been notoriously difficult to attract big names and decent players (based on stats).

Like it not, the AFL needs a strong Sydney AFL market. Long term it benefits all clubs and states.

As a Sydney supporter I can fully understand the gripes of supporters of other clubs.

Capacity constraints aside, that's what a home ground advantage is.... It's rather unfair that Geelong's finals games were being held at Etihad or the MCG, it's not their traditional "Home" groudn.

Bit different from the rest of the Victorian based teams as they play all of their home games (with the odd exceptions who play some interstate) at either Etihad or the MCG, Geelog's are split between 3 venues.

In the end it didn't help them as they lost to Freo anyway...

Personally, I don't think it was the AFL being "Vic-centric" in having the Cats play at Kardinia Park. Seemed only fair, they'd earned the right to play at "Home" finishing 2nd. I think the reasons why the AFL weren't playing finals there was due to the ongoing redevelopments of the ground over the last 10 years.

Yes, but the decision to play it at Skilled Stadium was an on the spur decision if I remember correctly.

It was not stated at the start of the season. It would only be played there if it was Freo. Sydney and

Hawthorn would not have to play there.

Demetriou was also in charge when a few interstate clubs like the Eagles and Lions had to travel to

Melbourne to play Melbourne clubs when they finished above them.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/leigh-matthews-felt-like-punching-andrew-demetriou-after-2004-grand-final/story-fni5f4q3-1226687173801

• Like 1

son. It would only be played there if it was Freo. Sydney and

Demetriou was also in charge when a few interstate clubs like the Eagles and Lions had to travel to

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/leigh-matthews-felt-like-punching-andrew-demetriou-after-2004-grand-final/story-fni5f4q3-1226687173801

There has been some disparities in the finals system in the past. I think it has been sorted now?

There was a lot of consternation in VIctoria when they first talked about playing finals out of the state.

I'm not a fan of Demetriou's personality or occasional arrogance, but he did continue on with the theme of a bigger picture view. There is still a way to go on some things, but at least it is feeling more like a national comp than a Victorian one with some add ons.

Imagine some goose like Eddy in charge of things. I shudder at the thought.

So on the back of the CoLA being phased out by the AFL, there was a list published today of the most expensive cities in the world...

Here's the results:

post-147583-13939534208567_thumb.jpg

post-147583-13939534350151_thumb.jpg

Now just for a little bit extra, I came across this website:

http://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/comparison/melbourne/sydney?

Now, here's how they calculate it out: http://www.expatistan.com/how-does-it-work

The results show that Sydney is 10% more expensive than Melbourne, 5% more expensive than Brisbane, about the same as Perth (it's about 2% more expensive than Perth when you compare Perth vs Melbourne) and 18% more expensive than both Canberra and Adelaide.

So, in theory the AFL should be looking at a CoLA for WA Clubs as well, but I believe the CoLA was introduced prior to the mining boom, which could be argued (among other reasons) why they didn't have it.

Another fun fact for those playing at home: Buddy lives in Bondi ;)

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

son. It would only be played there if it was Freo. Sydney and

There has been some disparities in the finals system in the past. I think it has been sorted now?

There was a lot of consternation in VIctoria when they first talked about playing finals out of the state.

I'm not a fan of Demetriou's personality or occasional arrogance, but he did continue on with the theme of a bigger picture view. There is still a way to go on some things, but at least it is feeling more like a national comp than a Victorian one with some add ons.

Imagine some goose like Eddy in charge of things. I shudder at the thought.

I think Demetriou has done a good job. Although I think he was dogmatic and a bit of a dictator at times,

I think he has left the game in a good position.

• Like 2

Buddy deal forces AFL to consider ending long-term contracts

ANDREW Demetriou has forecast changes to rules on the length of contracts as a result of Lance Franklin's record-breaking move to the Sydney Swans.
The outgoing AFL chief executive conceded it would be "very difficult" for Franklin to fulfill his nine-year deal at the Swans, prompting discussions with League officials on a maximum contract term.

Yes it's a bit of a gamble to have Franklin at the club for 10 years, but I'm betting that the Brains Trust at the Swans did their homework and left no stone unturned (as is evidenced by entertaining the notion of taking out insurance on the contract) before signing on.

I'm also betting that his salary is front end loaded i.e paid more in the first half of his contract.

• Like 2