Inviting envoys to view protest not a good idea: Thai Democrats

webfact

POLITICS
Inviting envoys to view protest not a good idea: Democrats

The Nation

30221645-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- THE GOVERNMENT should review its invitation for foreign diplomats to visit Government House to observe security on the same day that the anti-government protest planned to lay siege to the venue, Democrat MP Ong-art Klampaiboon said yesterday.

"The foreign envoys are invited to Government House on [today], although the government is well aware the demonstrators will march and protest there. The government has to take responsibility if the envoys are trapped inside the compound during the protest," he said.

Earlier, National Security Council chief Paradorn Pattanatabut said the diplomats would be briefed about how the government and police planned to handle the rally. "They will learn that we deal with the situation in peaceful ways, without arms and according to international standards," he said.

The envoys will meet at the Foreign Ministry at 7.30am before proceeding to Government House at 8am. Paradorn said he would evaluate whether they would stay in the compound until the protesters arrived or not. Thai and foreign media were also invited, he added. Reports said that diplomats of about 60 countries were invited and some 30 countries have already accepted the invitations.

A senior Asian diplomat said his embassy received the invitation via an e-mail message, which said the Centre for Administration of Peace and Order (CAPO) would make the arrangements for those who wished to observe security at Government House.

However the visit to Government House scheduled at 8am was an option, the diplomat said. The diplomats would meet and be briefed at 7.30am at the Foreign Ministry about protest activities.

"Whether the diplomats will join the visit will [be up to them] as we are worried the tour would be exploited politically. Moreover the diplomats' safety would be a major concern," he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-09

Have just been told that PM has dissolved parliament. Anybody know if this is correct. Sorry to say a new election will not resolve the problems without PTP being stopped from the blatant bribery they carry out with the people of Issan. Then I suppose I have more chance of seeing Man U the premiership this season and that is not going to happen!

POLITICS
Envoys' trip to Government House cancelled

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Foreign Ministry on Monday cancelled a trip of foreign diplomats to the Government House to observe security arrangement as some protesters already arrived.

There were some 30 representatives from the foreign embassies and international organisations attending a briefing at the Foreign Ministry about the political situation in Thailand.

Foreign Minister Surapong Tohvichakchaikul who conducted the briefing at first insisted to take the envoys to the Government House after the briefing.

However he later announced the cancellation after learning that some protesters already arrived at the Government House and police suggested that the diplomats may have problems on the way out of the compound.

Earlier former Democrat MP Ong-art Klampaiboon called for the ministry to review its invitation for foreign diplomats to visit Government House on the same day that the anti-government protest planned to lay siege to the venue,

"The foreign envoys are invited to Government House on [today], although the government is well aware the demonstrators will march and protest there. The government has to take responsibility if the envoys are trapped inside the compound during the protest," he said.

National Security Council chief Paradorn Pattanatabut said the diplomats would be briefed about how the government and police planned to handle the rally. "They will learn that we deal with the situation in peaceful ways, without arms and according to international standards," he said.

The envoys will meet at the Foreign Ministry at 7.30am before proceeding to Government House at 8am. Paradorn said he would evaluate whether they would stay in the compound until the protesters arrived or not. Thai and foreign media were also invited, he added. Reports said that diplomats of about 60 countries were invited and some 30 countries have already accepted the invitations.

A senior Asian diplomat said his embassy received the invitation via an e-mail message, which said the Centre for Administration of Peace and Order (CAPO) would make the arrangements for those who wished to observe security at Government House.

However the visit to Government House scheduled at 8am was an option, the diplomat said. The diplomats would meet and be briefed at 7.30am at the Foreign Ministry about protest activities.

"Whether the diplomats will join the visit will [be up to them] as we are worried the tour would be exploited politically. Moreover the diplomats' safety would be a major concern," he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-09

The invitations to foreign envoys is pure propagandist rubbish. They hoped that many people would come and they could take photos with the pm and she could then claim that all these important people are on her side and nobody cares about the protests.They didn't get the number they had hoped for so cancelled it instead....in my opinion.

Actually the Yellows pulled something like this last week when they marched to the US embassy - Notice The Nation didn't trash it biggrin.png

Both sides want the international communities support - The International Community is likely making themselves scarce, while hunkering down and watching footie, or Bad Santa and the Griswolds on the box.

Sounds like the PTP want a very political human shield

It's a signature, genuine, 1st class government plan.

This has "Chalerm" written all over it:

Patently obvious, put together on the fly, and prepared during a medication session on the toilet.

Yea because Cambodia was the only one that agreed to send anyone.

More international face down the drain.

Actually many foreign countries have praised the government for its proportionate and patient appoach to the protests.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/09/world/asia/members-of-thai-opposition-party-quit-parliament.html?hp&_r=0

Internationally I'm afraid it's not the government losing face but the opposition (with the single exception of Korn who has been notably guarded on the ludicrous Peoples Assembly)

Edited by jayboy
  • Like 1

Actually many foreign countries have praised the government for its proportionate and patient appoach to the protests.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/09/world/asia/members-of-thai-opposition-party-quit-parliament.html?hp&_r=0

Internationally I'm afraid it's not the government losing face but the opposition (with the single exception of Korn who has been notably guarded on the ludicrous Peoples Assembly)

I agree that great restraint has been shown. Although there has been loss of life, there has not been a show of mass brutality against people exercising their legal right of peaceful protest as we've seen in Ukraine.

Do you think the current PTP government has any face left to loose? Yingluck was warmly welcomed internationally when she stepped into the PM position. Two years later, those countries and organizations interested in Thailand will have formed their opinions of all aspects of this government's actions, performance, and control.

Notice how no developed countries or world organizations have come out and supported this government.

Lucky they didn't attend or they could have been deported..........

RT @RichardBarrow: Foreigners warned they could be deported from #Thailand if they take part in political protests (Via @sweatyinbkk) http://t.co/ncttMOjwn7

Yes, it's only dumb Western democracies that allow foreigners to protest on their soil. Dictators and dictatorial regimes never do !!

• Like 1

It has certainly been relatively peaceful apart from a few days although that's probably because of the nature of the protest as well as the fact that the government has sensibly not provoked the demonstrators too much by being heavy handed.

I must admit I'm not convinced by this Peoples Assembly idea or even elections. The government was voted for in elections that were seen as reasonably fair by observers. The problems seem to be because of the influence of Thaksin who wasn't elected and the ensuing nepotism. I don't really understand why the government doesn't seem to be able to function without Thaksin. If they hadn't tried so hard to get him an amnesty they wouldn't have angered so many red supporters which appears to have made the anti government supporters think now was a good time start the protests.

RT @RichardBarrow: Foreigners warned they could be deported from #Thailand if they take part in political protests (Via @sweatyinbkk) http://t.co/ncttMOjwn7

Yes, it's only dumb Western democracies that allow foreigners to protest on their soil. Dictators and dictatorial regimes never do !!

Already posted this once, but as this keeps going around even though it really doesn't amount to much, here are Suthep's words from 2010: 'Suthep also wanted to pass a message onto non-Thais that peaceful protests under the constitution was limited to Thais only. Therefore, if a foreigner protests, they have broken the law'

http://saiyasombut.wordpress.com/2010/04/09/foreigners-at-the-red-shirt-protest/

It has certainly been relatively peaceful apart from a few days although that's probably because of the nature of the protest as well as the fact that the government has sensibly not provoked the demonstrators too much by being heavy handed.

I must admit I'm not convinced by this Peoples Assembly idea or even elections. The government was voted for in elections that were seen as reasonably fair by observers. The problems seem to be because of the influence of Thaksin who wasn't elected and the ensuing nepotism. I don't really understand why the government doesn't seem to be able to function without Thaksin. If they hadn't tried so hard to get him an amnesty they wouldn't have angered so many red supporters which appears to have made the anti government supporters think now was a good time start the protests.

Fair post. I think whilst it's certainly true the government made a huge mistake with the amnesty bill, isn't it also true, if they were as dictatorial as people say they are, that they would've just forced it through - which they could have done? As it was they'd backed down on it even before they saw how many protesters would come out.

Already posted this once, but as this keeps going around even though it really doesn't amount to much, here are Suthep's words from 2010: 'Suthep also wanted to pass a message onto non-Thais that peaceful protests under the constitution was limited to Thais only. Therefore, if a foreigner protests, they have broken the law'

http://saiyasombut.wordpress.com/2010/04/09/foreigners-at-the-red-shirt-protest/

Thanks for that Emptyset, likewise the Dems said the same thing in 2010 and a couple were deported, but I fail to see your point, mine was that the Yingluck administration invited foreigners to enter a protest area against their own advice.

Edited by waza

Fair post. I think whilst it's certainly true the government made a huge mistake with the amnesty bill, isn't it also true, if they were as dictatorial as people say they are, that they would've just forced it through - which they could have done? As it was they'd backed down on it even before they saw how many protesters would come out.

Somewhat incorrect, dear ES.

Voices to be heard and first protests when details became known on the 'amnesty bill' wording as modified by the Pheu Thai led commission which was supposed to consider remarks from the first reading. Then we had two readings and two votes in slightly more than 24 hours. More protests erupted. Then PM Yingluck said "don't worry, there still a lot of procedure to be followed. Be quiet and go home". More protests. Pressure on the Senate including a 'not my responsibility' act when she stated that it was up to the Senate. More protests. Senate speaker trying to enforce a senate vote days before earlier planned. More protests. Senate having heard those voices and protests conclude the people don't want this 'blanket amnesty bill' and vote to reject it.

PM Yingluck says her government has dropped all amnesty bills, but those weren't needed anyway as we still have the senate rejected one. PM Yingluck promises her government won't pick it up again, please believe me.

Well, at least this government in shambles wouldn't be able to pick it up again. No idea though if the next government formed by MPs to be elected begin of February 2014 can do a simple vote or a single withdrawal. In the mean time be watchful!

Edited by rubl
  • Like 2

Somewhat incorrect, dear ES.

Voices to be heard and first protests when details became known on the 'amnesty bill' wording as modified by the Pheu Thai led commission which was supposed to consider remarks from the first reading. Then we had two readings and two votes in slightly more than 24 hours. More protests erupted. Then PM Yingluck said "don't worry, there still a lot of procedure to be followed. Be quiet and go home". More protests. Pressure on the Senate including a 'not my responsibility' act when she stated that it was up to the Senate. More protests. Senate speaker trying to enforce a senate vote days before earlier planned. More protests. Senate having heard those voices and protests conclude the people don't want this 'blanket amnesty bill' and vote to reject it.

PM Yingluck says her government has dropped all amnesty bills, but those weren't needed anyway as we still have the senate rejected one. PM Yingluck promises her government won't pick it up again, please believe me.

Well, at least this government in shambles wouldn't be able to pick it up again. No idea though if the next government formed by MPs to be elected begin of February 2014 can do a simple vote or a single withdrawal. In the mean time be watchful!

Not to mention the straw that broke the Dubai camels back, the outright and open opposition to the blanket amnesty bill by factions of the redshirts. Which resulted in punitive action by the PTP that only escalated that dissention.

In the future we may look back at this one deception and recognise it as the catalyst that brought about not only the dissolution of the PTP but also of the reshirts.

Edited by waza
  • Like 1

Once the "People's Council" is established, the deportations will start....Kate Hodal: Suthep's people told me they planned on forming a council "like in East Germany". And democracies didn't always "choose wisely": Hitler was also "voted in", they said.

Hm. Will be interesting to see now how the good people choose their leader. Rumours he's already been named.