Suthep reportedly meets top brass

Lite Beer

^ Interesting stuff. But now that Yingluck called for a new election, doesn't that kill their whole plan?

No way Suthep and his friends (the generals) can get this "people-council-thing" going, without using armed military force..

Well, always take Sean Crispin with a pinch of salt since his stuff is often based on rumours, but he does seem to have good sources. So...

'According to one international mediator, the NACC has fast-tracked its investigations and could rule in the coming days. Some royalists reckon that could open a political and legal vacuum that allows for the formation through court order of a royalist People's Council. Behind-the-scenes moves are being made in that direction. One list of proposed People's Council members reviewed by Asia Times Online bids to balance known royalists with once-Thaksin allies who switched political sides after the 2006 coup.

The list includes: Privy Councilor Palakorn as prime minister; former Thaksin ally cum coup maker General Anupong Paochinda as deputy premier for security; former Thaksin-appointed commerce minister Somkid Jatusripitak as deputy prime minister for economics; hard-line anti-Thaksin royalist General Saparang Kalayanamit as defense minister; Thaksin-era foreign minister and royally connected Surakiart Sathirathai as foreign minister; former Thaksin and coup-appointed finance minister Pridiyathorn Devakula in the same role.'

Just liked the army stacked the court in Thaksin's sham trial.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

More intrigue. The plot thickens. Will they, won't they?

Surely to god, Suthep should be leaving the army base in manacles or is he just too hot to handle at this moment?.

Anupong is back out into view? Thaksin showing up un-announced

and particularly unwanted at the Generals mothers funeral has always left

a void that can't be closed for the Shin clan and the Generals clan

The photo of the wai below the naval by Gen. Prem to Thaksin is legendary.

Well that does likely mean bigger things are in play.

Yes, arresting Suthep would light a powder keg with a short fuse.

But also it's not the army tasked with arresting Suthep, but the police.

Based on orders that may or may not be considered legal in 3 weeks.

If the government refused to obey the Constitution Courts rulings, does that make them illegal from that point on?

A hotly debatable point now, but the winners tend to determine the rules retroactively in Thailand..

Did the meeting take place?

Denial often means truth but not fully admitted here in LOS. Land Of Side-Speak

The army have been central to this whole thing from the beginning. They have been orchestrating everything from.minute one.

The people council is to elegant for Suthep to have thought up alone. The army and Suthep have been marshalling this along from the first moment.

I sincerely hope that you are right on this.

How delicious would that bewai2.gif.

Only in Thailand can a man with multiple warrants for his arrest meet with police, military, and other government officials and not be detained.

ALSO only ion Thailand can a convicted criminal fugitive on the run who hasn't even set foot in Thailand ( officially ) in over 5 years control the country through his network of puppets and cronies !

• Like 1

Surely to god, Suthep should be leaving the army base in manacles or is he just too hot to handle at this moment?.

If the government refused to obey the Constitution Courts rulings, does that make them illegal from that point on?

A hotly debatable point now, but the winners tend to determine the rules retroactively in Thailand..

'The photo of the wai below the naval by Gen. Prem to Thaksin is legendary'.

Perhaps it is legendary - I have never seen the photo, despite searching for it on Google. Did such a thing happen? Is such a picture in circulation?

I'm not doubting you, but I would like to see it.

There is a second shot showing it is a very, very low wai. But this one will suffice.

The comment that Anupong may have brokered this meeting was roundly denounced soon after.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/05/31/headlines/headlines_30074453.php

The army have been central to this whole thing from the beginning. They have been orchestrating everything from.minute one.

The people council is to elegant for Suthep to have thought up alone. The army and Suthep have been marshalling this along from the first moment.

Yep. Especially Gen Prawit. The plan was likely put in place before Suthep got involved. That was just a happy (but entirely necessary) coincidence. Although Prayuth's position has been uncertain. I'd assume tacit backing is being given to the demonstration, but they're not willing to go all the way with a coup. That's partly the reason this 'people's coup' is necessary (from the POV of the anti-govt people) really. The army is too scared of the red shirts and international opinion to intervene overtly as they have done so often in the past.

I'm actually surprised they need to meet physically. Don't they have Skype? I'd guess there's a 24 hour line open between Suthep and those who're strategising behind the scenes.

International OPINION is the only issue for the army in this case.

Well that and instant communications and the money to be lost for the country if

sanctions get put in place like happened to Myanmar for many years.

Edited by animatic
  • Like 2

The Army and Suthep oppose international election observers.

In 2001 & 2005, why were foreign observers welcomed under Thaksin's supposedly corrupt governments but not now?

Suthep Thaugsuban. 'I don't respect 'farangs'. We do not have to surrender to them,' he said, using the Thai word for 'Westerners'.

http://www.baht-stop.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10403

"Deputy Prime Minister for Security Affairs Suthep Thaugsuban has voiced his opposition to an idea to let international organizations observe the next general election in Thailand. Mr Suthep stated that he wondered why the United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD) has no respect for national sovereignty by trying to invite international organizations to observe the election.

The deputy prime minister indicated that the Election Commission (EC) should be able to perform its task in running a transparent election while local media representatives and academicians could be invited to observe or investigate the election."

Why would he say this then cry "VOTE BUYING" every time?

Very good point. Democrats like to bitch about vote buying, yet obviously they have as much if not more financial backing than PT, and they're not afraid of using it too. If Thaksin is just buying the elections, then why are independent opinion polls giving mostly consistent results with elections. Do people get paid to answer those too?

• Like 1

"Unpaid rice farmers threaten roadblocks in 26 provinces"

Best headline of the day from one of the other English language newspapers.

The government hasn't got the money to pay the farmers because they haven't sold enough of the overpriced rice.

Maybe an own goal coming up.

This is why the rally has gone forward at this time.

The PTP amnesty for Thaksin that screwed the red shirt goals simultaneously was utterly stupid,

but add that on top of masses of issan rice farmers being stiffed for their crops,

means Issan is in play.

Edited by Sheryl
  • Like 1

^ Interesting stuff. But now that Yingluck called for a new election, doesn't that kill their whole plan?

No way Suthep and his friends (the generals) can get this "people-council-thing" going, without using armed military force..

I'm not so sure any more:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/688132-nacc-meets-to-decide-fate-of-312-lawmakers-december-13/

I think it's now very unlikely that the elections will actually be held in Feb 2014. The whole point of the 2007 constitution is that the military does not have to do an actual coup any more: they have courts under their control to do it for them.

• Like 1

"Unpaid rice farmers threaten roadblocks in 26 provinces"

Best headline of the day from one of the other English language newspapers.

The government hasn't got the money to pay the farmers because they haven't sold enough of the overpriced rice.

Maybe an own goal coming up.

This is why the rally has gone forward at this time.

The PTP amnesty for Thaksin that screwed the red shirt goals simultaneously was utterly stupid,

but add that on top of masses of issan rice farmers being stiff for their crops,

means Issan is in play.

I've reached my quota of likes... but well said

• Like 2

Last week he claimed that the Air Force were plotting to kill him........... go figure.......blink.png.pagespeed.ce.AQgCnSOpp_.png

That was actually 'sort of' true.. It was all over the social media some air force officer insanely said at an interview, 'I have my gun here, just tell me and I will kill Suthep'. There were even photos etc.

Not exactly a plot, but more of a stupid public threat.

These are the sort of silly incidents that the 'controlled' media tend to hold back on.

Maybe stupid public threat, but he should have done it is stead of only talks.......

So the hint is out.

This 'convenient' leak has hit the street.

The tongues are wagging.

This is a nice little discreet shot across the bows for YL and the PTP.

'It's your move'.... we suggest you take this opportunity to step down and say it is in the people's interests to stop the protests... I am doing this for Thailand'... That's it... there's a good girl, now you look good in defeat. Just the PTP to follow suit, then it's time for the overhaul.

Well done Suthep, I knew you were cunning from the start. I take my hat off to you.

You win.

Sorry but you know nothing... this is anything but over and certainly not a win. It's a loss for the people of this country, one of many since 2006 and beyond.

Yes, well done to Suthep!! You have gone up in my estimation for the loyal service you are paying to the honest people of Thailand.

Go Suthep....go Suthep!!

attachicon.gifprayuth.jpgattachicon.gifanupong.jpg

.............attachicon.gifsuthep.jpg

What kind of brass would that be?smile.png

is that a co- incidental lay-out for those pictures , the pointing from the gun down to.....?biggrin.pngwhistling.gif

I'm sure it was, although watching Suthep on TV this morning, the Mrs. opined this might be in Suthep's future.

Everyone knows that Suthep is in for a Seh Daeng.

My name is not Everyone so I did not know that.

That and a legendary picture I never heard of or know the details surrounding it.

I am sure learning a lot on this thread.

Yep. Especially Gen Prawit. The plan was likely put in place before Suthep got involved. That was just a happy (but entirely necessary) coincidence. Although Prayuth's position has been uncertain. I'd assume tacit backing is being given to the demonstration, but they're not willing to go all the way with a coup. That's partly the reason this 'people's coup' is necessary (from the POV of the anti-govt people) really. The army is too scared of the red shirts and international opinion to intervene overtly as they have done so often in the past.

I'm actually surprised they need to meet physically. Don't they have Skype? I'd guess there's a 24 hour line open between Suthep and those who're strategising behind the scenes.

International OPINION is the only issue for the army in this case.

Well that and instant communications and the money to be lost for the country if

sanctions get put in place like happened to Myanmar for many years.

If it was the only issue, then it would've prevented the 2006 coup too, wouldn't it? Although I suspect the international reaction would be fiercer now than then, it's true. But the threat of the red shirts coming to Bangkok en masse again and having to crackdown and kill possibly hundreds or fight an urban guerrilla war is undoubtedlly a factor for the military. I'm surprised that you'd dispute this...

Anupong resurfaces. A powerful figure who led the last coup, ousted Seh Daeng and was part of the 'interim council', which happens to sound a lot like a 'people's council'. I can't see snap elections coming out of this.

Just would like to know why this guy is running around with all the arrest warrents on him. If it were anyone else he would have been put under already.

Your clue is in the title of this thread. "Suthep reportedly meets top brass".

Smart politicians never stick their necks out this far without assurances.

Just would like to know why this guy is running around with all the arrest warrents on him. If it were anyone else he would have been put under already.

Your clue is in the title of this thread. "Suthep reportedly meets top brass".

Smart politicians never stick their necks out this far without assurances.

I just love that!!

Suthep has just told his lawyer to tell the DSI that he cannot make it tomorrow as he is otherwise engaged.

Come on Suthep!! you are supposed to take this serious, it is serious you know, as you have been a bad little boy!! Ha Ha Ha!!

Then go find that one, OK?!!

rolleyes.gif

There were two famous Prem-Thaksin photos.

The one in the post above is old and previous to the two famous ones - it's from 2005.

There's the following one which is from 2008 when Thaksin met Prem and gave Prem a 15 second wai, during which Prem did not return the wai, or offer one, and said nothing. Thaksin was reported to have said "i'm sorry for everything." Then after more silence, Thaksin left. Note the daggers in Prem's eyes.

premheadline.gif

The more famous photo is pre-coup and is of Prem giving Thaksin a wai either at the navel or slightly below the navel. I've seen that photo too, more than once.

However, I too can't find the wai at the navel photo at either Google or Yahoo search engines, still trying to find it somewhere but don't know where as it seems to have disappeared.

Still searching.

Lots of pictures and videos have gone "missing" online it seems, including many of those from the 2010 riots.

I would not dispute that.

The wai-at-the-navel photo has been posted to TVF several times but in the distant past, from the time, 2008, 2009, possibly 2010. But who's going to dig back in the old threads to find the photo somewhere in all of them? Not I.

It's anyway the case that the sooner each of these guys is out of government and politics the better.

Each of them is part of the problem or is the problem.

To paraphrase, each has stayed too long for any good he has done.

The Army and Suthep oppose international election observers.

In 2001 & 2005, why were foreign observers welcomed under Thaksin's supposedly corrupt governments but not now?

Suthep Thaugsuban. 'I don't respect 'farangs'. We do not have to surrender to them,' he said, using the Thai word for 'Westerners'.

http://www.baht-stop.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10403

"Deputy Prime Minister for Security Affairs Suthep Thaugsuban has voiced his opposition to an idea to let international organizations observe the next general election in Thailand. Mr Suthep stated that he wondered why the United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD) has no respect for national sovereignty by trying to invite international organizations to observe the election.

The deputy prime minister indicated that the Election Commission (EC) should be able to perform its task in running a transparent election while local media representatives and academicians could be invited to observe or investigate the election."

Why would he say this then cry "VOTE BUYING" every time?

Why would the government want to always invite foreign press or diplomats to observe? Because they think it lends legitimacy to their undemocratic attempts at changing the constitution as a government. Which if they had any legitimacy would have accepted the constitution courts ruling instead of not recognizing the courts right to rule on the matter.

Spouting off about dictators, IS that not what Thailand has been living with these past couple years? What do you call it when one man calls the shots, controlling the governments every move. deciding who holds which position! Some one who is convicted of crimes!

Do you call that a democratic system. Can you name any other country where a convict controls the government?

Italy?

Some interesting parallels between the two countries actually, including the fact that for altogether different reasons, Italy recently had a non elected technocratic government. It turned out well economically, but politically I don't think anything changed. And where in Thailand would you finds someone as competent and non self serving as Mario Monti? At least they avoided calling it a "people" council. Technocratic is much more relevant.

I think there must be something wrong with my computer - did you just say that The Nation was on the side of the Reds???

No.

I meant that they lean towards the red side, obviously because they don't want to be punished by the current government. They will swing over when the Dems get into power. Same with this place.

BP is a lot more impartial.

The Nation is All Yellow, All the Time.

Except when it has red slanted articles.

I think there must be something wrong with my computer - did you just say that The Nation was on the side of the Reds???

No.

I meant that they lean towards the red side, obviously because they don't want to be punished by the current government. They will swing over when the Dems get into power. Same with this place.

BP is a lot more impartial.

Huh?!??

The Nation has a token opinion piece once in a while to keep the pretense going. They are little more than a mouthpiece for the yellow shirts.

You need to look up the history between The Nation and Thaksin, maybe you'll understand.

• Like 2

Huh?!??

The Nation has a token opinion piece once in a while to keep the pretense going. They are little more than a mouthpiece for the yellow shirts.

You need to look up the history between The Nation and Thaksin, maybe you'll understand.

Thank you for confirming my point.

Just liked the army stacked the court in Thaksin's sham trial.

that's a bloody lie AND a contempt of thai courts NOT supported by any reliable proof. only tax-sin parrots croak like that

it's also off-topic, which is: "Suthep reportedly meets top brass" - at the same time you also insult 305,860 loyal members

and their 'Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces' King Bhumibol Adulyadej which protect

"the security and stability of the country" as ordered by the beloved thai king only recently at his last birthday speech

the meeting mentioned in the topic was exactly to ensure "the security and stability of the country"

"Just liked the army stacked the court in Thaksin's sham trial."

For that reason NO western country took that international arrest warrant seriously....... go to trial to expect fair treatment from the goverment installed by coup leaders ......come on , that is why Taksin get the advantige of the doubt ......be serious would any body risk his nek in a snakepit like that ....?

Edited by david555
  • Like 1