Chiang Mai Expats Club

Rinrada

Just got the latest newsletter from the CMEX-C and not a bad read.

We have been recco by them with respect to the Best Advice and Information with regards our main subjects but just wondering if we have any members who are members of their outfit.

I have mentioned before that if and when I ever get my act into gear and make the big move ..ie over there for longer that a jolli weekend I wouldnt mind getting into these sort of organisation./activities..Expats helping Expats..funny handshakes...clinking of beer bottles eggi sarnies with horse raddish.....and all that stuff.......

So wots the score...news on the ground... :o

I attended my first CEC meeting this past March when I was just visiting CM. At that time I was planning to move here from Pattaya and was looking for information on the area. I timed my visit specifically so I could make one of their meetings. My strategy, since I knew absolutely nobody up here, was to help establish an "instant" network of people / friends.

There were about 25 people present at that March meeting. The president and club officers introduced themselves and welcomed myself and the other first-time attendees.

Once the meeting got underway, one talented CEC member gave a very professional slide presentation of a nearby archaeology dig, overlaid with satellite photos and GPS coordinates worthy of an episode on the National Geographic Chanel.

Afterward there was much mingling and exchanging of cards and contacts. All in all it was a great experience. I have since attended another meeting and it too was well organized, informative, and worth the price of admission. I have since paid for a regular membership.

I've been on their mailing list since they started, and I get the impression from meeting topics and minutes that this is mostly for newbies. Good chance to expand your social contacts, perhaps.

I've been on their mailing list since they started, and I get the impression from meeting topics and minutes that this is mostly for newbies. Good chance to expand your social contacts, perhaps.

Someone that has lived here in Thailand as long as you have Ajarn may not get much value from attending or joining the CEC. However, with all of your life experiences here, I am CERTAIN you would be a great asset and a very good source of information for all of us "newbies." (Me, for starters.) And, as you stated, you could meet new friends, etc..

Someone that has lived here in Thailand as long as you have Ajarn may not get much value from attending or joining the CEC. However, with all of your life experiences here, I am CERTAIN you would be a great asset and a very good source of information for all of us "newbies." (Me, for starters.) And, as you stated, you could meet new friends, etc..

Thanks sir, for the kind words and confidence... :o

I've thought about joining, but my physical disabilities regarding walking and speaking get in the way, so this place is easiest for me... And here, I'm a newbie compared to some of the old-timers... :D

• 2 months later...

I would be grateful if someone could explain what the CEC is. I am about to move to Chiangmai, and from the earlier posts on this thread, it would seem that I should consider attending a CEC meeting, but I am not able to figure out what or where it is.

Ooops. Sorry, just went back and looked at the title of the thread and, slow as I am, figured out what CEC stands for.

Edited by Rasseru

We are fairly new tyo CM and have been to the last couple of meetings. The atmosphere is very friendly, relaxed and welcoming and I reckon there were about 50 people there on each occasion. It is very handy for newbies for both information and building social contacts.

Why not come along on Saturday and find out.

Thank you for the invitation. I expect to arrive in Chiang Mai on Friday morning, so attending Saturday evening is possible. May I ask, though, where and when the meeting will be? Also, if you know, should I give any kind of notice that I will attend, or just show up?

The next meeting is Saturday at 10:30 a.m., at the Chiangmai Orchid Hotel on Huay Kaew Road. People generallyl arrive from 10 and tea,coffee and cake is served.

Just show up - there is a welcoming committee at the door and when we first rocked up a month ago people really loooked after us and I'm sure you will get the same reception. ity's all very relaxed

Hope to see you there.

From the CEC email newsletter for the next meeting on 22 July 2006:

This weeks Chiangmai Expats Club meeting promises to be a very interesting meeting. Our featured guest speaker will be Mr. David Hardcastle of Good Morning Chiang Mai/Laos. There will be a great multimedia presentation as well as eight (8) classic cars on display in the parking lot of the Chiangmai Orchid Hotel. This will be a viewing and a presentation not to me missed.

Also on schedule is something you will not want to miss. OLD MEETS NEW. You will have to attend this meeting in order to know what this is all about. I urge you all make it a very special point to attend this next meeting on 22 July 2006 at the Chiangmai Orchid Hotel.

As usual our meetings begin at 10:30AM. However this time, please note a change in our meeting rooms. We will be meeting on the third (3rd) floor for this meeting only. This is the floor the swimming pool is on.

We do encourage members and visitors to arrive early and enjoy a great breakfast buffet at the Orchid Hotel’s Mae Rim Coffee Shop. Chiangmai Expats Club Members showing their valid membership card receive a discounted price of Bt200 for this buffet. Also, arriving early will allow all to view the classic cars being displayed this week, courtesy David Hardcastle. Another advantage for arriving early is that it allows people ample time to chit chat while enjoying coffee/tea and get to know many other members and friends of the club.

Lifted from Chiang Mai Expats Club Website

From the CEC email newsletter for the next meeting on 22 July 2006:

This weeks Chiangmai Expats Club meeting promises to be a very interesting meeting. Our featured guest speaker will be Mr. David Hardcastle of Good Morning Chiang Mai/Laos.

Lifted from Chiang Mai Expats Club Website

In light of the above they might want to change their name to the Chiang Mai Recent Expats Club :o

• 1 year later...
I attended my first meeting this past March when I was just visiting CM. At that time I was planning to move here from Pattaya and was looking for information on the area. I timed my visit specifically so I could make one of their meetings. My strategy, since I knew absolutely nobody up here, was to help establish an "instant" network of people / friends.

There were about 25 people present at that March meeting. The president and club officers introduced themselves and welcomed myself and the other first-time attendees.

Once the meeting got underway, one talented CEC member gave a very professional slide presentation of a nearby archaeology dig, overlaid with satellite photos and GPS coordinates worthy of an episode on the National Geographic Chanel.

Afterward there was much mingling and exchanging of cards and contacts. All in all it was a great experience. I have since attended another meeting and it too was well organized, informative, and worth the price of admission. I have since paid for a regular membership.

It has been a long time --- since 2006 --- that Chiang Mai Expats Club has been discussed on TV. I looked because I am interested in the club.

I am new to Thailand, and I have been to meetings. The post above seems like what I have experienced at the club: good programs and networking --- and leaders (with microphones) pushing the business of sponsors. It has many more members since 2006, I am sure. There are certainly more expats in Chiang Mai looking for practical advice and connections. Must be good business! For whom?

I know there are sponsors. Every time the leaders say go to the sponsors' businesses. How do I know they are any good? Are sponsors also leaders of the club? There are many valuable things about this club, but I wonder about all the business there.

What do other people think?

I attended my first meeting this past March when I was just visiting CM. At that time I was planning to move here from Pattaya and was looking for information on the area. I timed my visit specifically so I could make one of their meetings. My strategy, since I knew absolutely nobody up here, was to help establish an "instant" network of people / friends.

It has been a long time --- since 2006 --- that Chiang Mai Expats Club has been discussed on TV. I looked because I am interested in the club.

I am new to Thailand, and I have been to meetings. The post above seems like what I have experienced at the club: good programs and networking --- and leaders (with microphones) pushing the business of sponsors. It has many more members since 2006, I am sure. There are certainly more expats in Chiang Mai looking for practical advice and connections. Must be good business! For whom?

I know there are sponsors. Every time the leaders say go to the sponsors' businesses. How do I know they are any good? Are sponsors also leaders of the club? There are many valuable things about this club, but I wonder about all the business there.

What do other people think?

My wife and I have been members of the CEC for a long while and have to respond to the question about the sponsorship/business connections of the so-called "leaders" ( actually "Board Members").

To the best of my knowledge there are only two Board Members who are Sponsors of the Club.

One never offers his services directly to the membership and the second extends a most kind and generous welcome to all newcomers to Chiang Mai at personal cost to him and to his business.

The "pushing" of the business of Sponsors is to be expected if sponsorship is to be obtained for the benefit of members and , in my considerable experience, has never gone beyond the briefest of attention being called to the names of the Sponsors and a reminder to patronise them if possible. As to whether these sponsors "are any good" ( another question posed ) - as with all transaction - caveat emptor. We've all been around long enough to ask the right questions and assess that for ourselves.

All up the Club is great and regularly sees meeting attendances of 150 plus people. Members enjoy the benefits. Non-members have the opportunity to apply for membership.

Cheers

A good friend, more than two years a resident of CM, went to the last meeting for the first time and enjoyed it. He is a "hail fellow well met", so stood up and introduced himself. Got to talk with those at his large round table but that was about it.

Like any other meeting, its up to you to go around and "work the room" if your interested in socializing or meeting new people. The speaker at the last meeting was a very reputable Cardiologist.

I went to a few meetings when the club first started and opted for the life membership.

I have mixed feelings about such things as I did not move to Thailand (over seven years ago) to plug into Western old folk's meetings and gatherings since I could have found that in my own country but didn't attend them there either.

However, for a newcomer to Thailand, meets such as these provide a wealth of information and presentations plus give one an opportunity to connect with Westerners who have vast experience in dealing with Chiang Mai and local culture, politics and Immigration. The meetings, while sometimes tedious, are not the point so much as meeting others of like interests, not to mention the availability of glasses of wine. And books. And other exchanges.. And the members/attendees are of a wide variety of ages and nationalities.

The CEC is what you make of it. I would suggest getting on Michael's excellent newsletter about upcoming events and presentations and give it a shot when something sounds interesting. The most you have to lose is a couple of hours but you could easily make a new friend - and that is always worth a bit of my time...

I've been attending the expats club for about two years now, and I enjoy the newsbits, presentations, and being able to see old friends and meet new ones. You can learn a lot by attending, and its enjoyable too. I like to travel in the local area and it seems that at every meeting I hear of a neat place to go visit. The folks organizing it put a good deal of effort into the meetings, and I for one appreciate that.

I did once join the Ex pats club here in Chiang Mai. The whole meeting was an endurance of some loud mouthed American speaker rattling on for one and a half hours, then after the rant, had to withstand for the next 30 minutes a woman speaker trying to sell condos and when finished stood around being bombarded by some other members trying to sell me stuff for the next 10 minutes before everyone drifted off to wherever they were going. I was not impressed and after giving it one more try at a following meeting, I gave it up.

I did once join the Ex pats club here in Chiang Mai. The whole meeting was an endurance of some loud mouthed American speaker rattling on for one and a half hours, then after the rant, had to withstand for the next 30 minutes a woman speaker trying to sell condos and when finished stood around being bombarded by some other members trying to sell me stuff for the next 10 minutes before everyone drifted off to wherever they were going. I was not impressed and after giving it one more try at a following meeting, I gave it up.

Alas, a loss for us all as you seem such a bright and delightful fellow to be around... :o

"Western old folks".....now there's the pot calling the kettle black :o

Very funny, bunattacker.

How about Sunday? I will come over and work on your computer then slaughter your entire family.

Only those, of course, who love George Bush.. :D

I have just sent off a request to be added to the mailing list, I was active in several associations in my home country (treasure of the Cricket Club, Master of the Freemasons lodge, founder of a computer club etc) and might have something to offer.

The main problem is that I live in Pai and it is a long drive down and back unless I have other reasons to go to CM. Is there anyone who would like to share transport?

Colin

• 2 weeks later...
some loud mouthed American speaker rattling on for one and a half hours, then after the rant, had to withstand for the next 30 minutes a woman speaker trying to sell condos

Oh, horrors! Especially if she were both female -- and American..........