Thai rice pledging scheme to go ahead

webfact

Rice pledging scheme to go ahead

175828-imagepng-258390-1-728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The caretaker commerce minister has pledged to continue distributing rice from 2013/2014 harvest to the market to avoid excessive stock, while the rice sales under the government-to-government (G2G) contracts have been suspended.

Caretaker Commerce Minister Niwatthamrong Boonsongpaisan said the National Rice Policy Committee meeting today has resolved to accelerate sales of its rice stock, mainly from 2013/2014 harvest, which continues pouring into the state stockpiles. He said advance deals can still be made under the approved volume of 500,000 – 1,000,000 tons but the caretaker ministry would have to consult the Council of State on whether the rice can be released through open biddings.

He said G2G rice deals made with several countries have been suspended.

He said that many contracts have been concluded such as with Iran of 250,000 tons of rice which is now being released, while China agreed to buy two millions tons of rice from Thailand, while another 600,000-800,000 tons of rice will be offered for auction. The rice have both been delivered and yet to be delivered to partnered countries.

The caretaker minister admitted delays in payment to farmers who sold rice under the pledging program, reasoning that rice stocks from previous harvest were slowly released to the market. He promised that all farmers will be paid.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/rice-pledging-scheme-go-ahead/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2013-12-12

Is he permitted to make financial obligations to the country?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If it is part of existing policy, they can. Given they've run out of money to pay for rice pledging, it may be difficult though.

That's what the 2 trillion loan was for, and the flood budget, to pay off this stupid scheme. They can't accelerate anything, no one's buying at those prices (except at a loss), couple this with fruit and veg in EU very soon being banned, it's a complete mess. What a surprise.

The caretaker Commerce Minister "said G2G rice sales made to several countries have been suspended" ?

I can't see any plausible reason why that should have happened, except if the contracts were actually only MOUs, which were unlikely to be turned into real contracts/sales, and the election is just being used as an excuse to hide this fact for a couple of months ? wink.png

Q. 'When is a contract not a contract ?'

A. 'When it's a G2G sale made by a PTP-led government !' facepalm.gif

If the Dems used their imagination, they could really cash in on this rice pledging scheme.

They ought to promise to keep the scheme running if they get into power, and promise to make it economical, I believe they are able to do it quite easily.

First off, they cap the scheme to only farms with 150 rai and under. Any farms that are bigger are capped to the first 150 rai, that will wipe out most of the cash ending up in the pockets of the mega rich super farms who have probably already been paid top whack for their grain (yes they have).

That would distribute the funding between the farmers who truly need it.

They could really hijack Thaksin's rice scheme and steal away a lot of his Isaan votes. Sort of pulling the wheels off his political wagon a bit.

If these populist policies had been a bit better thought out, some may have worked. Instead PTP and the Shins abused it at every level where most of the cash was siphoned off by their elite, and did nothing really to help the poor.

• Like 2

Is he permitted to make financial obligations to the country?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

As caretaker government, he can't spend emergency budget or make deals that will be binding for the next government. If more money does come in from the rice scheme, he can however spend it to repay existing financial obligations..

If the Dems used their imagination, they could really cash in on this rice pledging scheme.

They ought to promise to keep the scheme running if they get into power, and promise to make it economical, I believe they are able to do it quite easily.

First off, they cap the scheme to only farms with 150 rai and under. Any farms that are bigger are capped to the first 150 rai, that will wipe out most of the cash ending up in the pockets of the mega rich super farms who have probably already been paid top whack for their grain (yes they have).

They could really hijack Thaksin's rice scheme and steal away a lot of his Isaan votes. Sort of pulling the wheels off his political wagon a bit.

If these populist policies had been a bit better thought out, some may have worked. Instead PTP and the Shins abused it at every level where most of the cash was siphoned off by their elite, and did nothing really to help the poor.

I believe the rice farmers prefer the Dems' scheme to the existing scam

This hair brained rice pledging scheme was merely a ploy by this government to improve cash flow to their loyal followers in rural areas following the implementation of the minimum wage and at the expense of the rest of the country and to the significant detriment to Thailand's position in the world rice market.

This hair brained rice pledging scheme was merely a ploy by this government to improve cash flow to their loyal followers in rural areas following the implementation of the minimum wage and at the expense of the rest of the country and to the significant detriment to Thailand's position in the world rice market.

But it didn't work did it, because the big rice producers made all the money, as did the mills.

The stupid PTP fell over when they thought they had the power to drive up the global price by sitting on the rice, and the importers just went to other countries. How could they have not foreseen that?

• Like 2

Only last month it was reported that China had agreed on a million tonnes per year for the next four years.

Why suspend such a great deal?

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What is the loss/profit on this "great deal" ?

Or is it in part payment for the Chinese Hi-Speed train, bought with a loan from China?

Yeay for PTP and caretaker Yingluck and the caddy - great deals that really benefit one clan.

Only last month it was reported that China had agreed on a million tonnes per year for the next four years.

Why suspend such a great deal?

What is the loss/profit on this "great deal" ?

Or is it in part payment for the Chinese Hi-Speed train, bought with a loan from China?

Yeay for PTP and caretaker Yingluck and the caddy - great deals that really benefit one clan.

It is trains for rice deal.

I don't think high speed trains, more like regular trains.

The Dems had their own rice farmer support scheme whereby the subsidy was paid directly to the farmer. It seemed to work well judging by my own families experience but did not pay out as much as the PT scheme. It was also alot less susceptable to corrupt practise.

• Like 1

Why not give any spare rice away to the women, children and older people that live on your border? We all know it will never happen but give them all a christmas present...Does it make any diffrence who they belive in? Let the poor ppl belive in something, they have nothing to start with. Make a smile on there face for once

Why on earth should they? They are the people who got us into this mess and so should be made to pay for it!! It would be unethical to give rice to them as this is paid for out of 'people's taxes' to keep this rice scam going.

As for christmas, it is is not a recognised celebration in the Thai buddhist religion so it is no different to any other day.

You may think that I am heartless but they need to be taught a lesson in what red democracy (the most impure democracy going) stands for.

The desolution of the government by the PM/brother to try to hold on to power, forgot to take into account the restrictions imposed on moving funds from one account to another, borrowing funds, etc. No one has ever thought this group capable of thinking further than for their own bankroll.

There just might be a few of the clowns involved in the rice program, with booked seats daily, on flights out of Thailand. Just to go verify that all is going as planned of course.

They've 'proposed' selling the old rice, they've 'mulled' it, they've even announced several times that large amounts have been sold, now their committee's latest meeting "has resolved to accelerate sales", but it still doesn't go ?

Perhaps time, to bring out the 'big guns', and 'announce' or 'declare' that it's for-sale ? laugh.png

Wonder if Yingluck actually attended the meeting, does she still chair the committee, or has this been delegated, like so much else when it goes wrong ?

Meanwhile "the caretaker minister admitted delays in payments to farmers" , and blamed slow sales of old stocks, "He promised that all farmers will be paid.", but forgot to say when, or what compensation they would pay to farmers, for the government's having screwed-up their cashflows & run-up their debts ?

Why don't the government simply transfer more money, into the BAAC, and pay the farmers on-time instead ?

Have the Thai government, prop. YS (& TS), not got the money ? Are they in fact in serious financial trouble ? I would sincerely hope not !

Did they go ahead with buying this rice, with no idea how to pay for it, or merely mess-up the execution of the scheme ? The poor rice-farmers of Thailand, as PTP's creditors & voters in the coming election, have a right to answers ! wink.png

"Announce, declare, order, mull....'

I won't believe it until I hear a 'vow'. smile.png

• Like 1

They've 'proposed' selling the old rice, they've 'mulled' it, they've even announced several times that large amounts have been sold, now their committee's latest meeting "has resolved to accelerate sales", but it still doesn't go ?

Perhaps time, to bring out the 'big guns', and 'announce' or 'declare' that it's for-sale ? laugh.png

Wonder if Yingluck actually attended the meeting, does she still chair the committee, or has this been delegated, like so much else when it goes wrong ?

Meanwhile "the caretaker minister admitted delays in payments to farmers" , and blamed slow sales of old stocks, "He promised that all farmers will be paid.", but forgot to say when, or what compensation they would pay to farmers, for the government's having screwed-up their cashflows & run-up their debts ?

Why don't the government simply transfer more money, into the BAAC, and pay the farmers on-time instead ?

Have the Thai government, prop. YS (& TS), not got the money ? Are they in fact in serious financial trouble ? I would sincerely hope not !

Did they go ahead with buying this rice, with no idea how to pay for it, or merely mess-up the execution of the scheme ? The poor rice-farmers of Thailand, as PTP's creditors & voters in the coming election, have a right to answers ! wink.png

Did they go ahead with buying this rice, with no idea how to pay for it, or merely mess-up the execution of the scheme ?

I believe they were counting on the unaccountable 2.2 trillion Baht 'infrastructure' loan to square all pear shaped accounts. They've already borrowed 50 billion, and no doubt divvied up, of the 350 billion Baht flood scheme. and run the BAAC deeply into the red and now can't pay farmers in a timely manner. They need the elections to proceed as rapidly as possible so the new Thaksin government can ram some spending bills through quickly enough to cover their ass corruption.

Did they go ahead with buying this rice, with no idea how to pay for it, or merely mess-up the execution of the scheme ?

I believe they were counting on the unaccountable 2.2 trillion Baht 'infrastructure' loan to square all pear shaped accounts. They've already borrowed 50 billion, and no doubt divvied up, of the 350 billion Baht flood scheme. and run the BAAC deeply into the red and now can't pay farmers in a timely manner. They need the elections to proceed as rapidly as possible so the new Thaksin government can ram some spending bills through quickly enough to cover their ass corruption.

No!! They want to serve all of the people of Thailand and restore love and understanding!!

• Like 1

Thai Visa commentators have become so negative that is possibly depressing to spend time reading them anymore. Thai Visa was a mine of information and banter yet has become the purveyor of malice and pessimism. Guess I'll have to spend more time reading stickmanbangkok since at least it is mainly about Thai people and their farang lol.

And the vote buying, graft and corruption continues unabated ... TIT

Same same not different

Wonder where they will steal the money from to pay the farmers? 555

They will not pay them. When it's time to pay them as promised in a month, they will come up with another fairytale like as caretaker government we are not allowed .

And the poor farmers will believe them.