Govt hires US firm to lobby US govt to set up naval base in Thailand: US Department of Justice

webfact

So funny, I don't think most TV readers get it. In Thailand you have direct bribery/ corruption.

In the US you have legal lobby groups to get around the realities of politics. whistling.gif

I don't think YOU get it. Lobbying in the US is essentially legalized corruption at the highest levels. What do you think lobbyists are paid to do? But of course, it's all done very professionally by stiffs in pinstripe suits. So as to ensure that the sheeps (read US public) doesn't see it for what it is. Which is special interests groups/industries buying elected officials.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't the US already have some bases in Thailand? Oh, perhaps I am confusing torture camps with bases.

Yes, they make you stand outside Soi Cowboy but won't let you go in.

On a more serious note, I see no reason for the US to want a naval base in Thailand. First of all trying to provide security would be a nightmare with the mai pen rai mentality and second, the biggest enemy of Thailand is Thai people.

There are some very naïve or just plain stupid people on TV.

Thailand does not need this it is insane, and considering Thaksin has employed 7 US lobbying firms while on the run it comes as no surprise…this is the follow up to the cancellation of the planned US MILITARY WEATHER STATION (cheesy.gif ) at Sattahip.

Next you will be telling me the TPP is a great idea also

These are all steps into a UN one World army..that many again will say whats wrong with that.

The US Army will morph into the UN World Army within 15 years, why do you think Chinese, Russian and Romanian troops are all on joint activities in the US at the moment

While the people sleep the biggest crimes are committed

Wow - must be true if they've included that historically great military power and world leader Romania ! Sums up the credibility of your post nicely.

Maybe that's why Big T wanted little sis and cousin number 1 to get Thailand on the UNSC? Wants to make sure of his position on the new World government whistling.gif

The government spent some money without asking parliament. I was under the impression that the relativity small amount would almost be a petty cash chit with most governments.

$20k would not get much lobbying Washington, is not Bangkok. You would need to spend more than 10 times that amount to get any sort of result.

1. I sincerely doubt it was only $20K - that would give them about 50 hrs worth of lobbying, $2 Mil is more like it whistling.gif

2. Thailand must have gotten wind of the US wanting to lease the base in Cam Ranh Bay, Vietnam - which has deep water ports,access to the Pacific, and infrastructure built in.giggle.gif

3. Burma is also the flavor of the month, out lease on Diego Garcia will eventually run out, and we need access to the Indian Ocean, unencumbered - US Navy has already put the cabbash on several scheduled ship visits at Phuket, can't see them building there......sad.png

4. Vayama Port or Sattahip - then again, no natural deep water ports, they are dredged significantly (Oh but the stupids in the USA might do it anyway, so 'we can employ' more people .thumbsup.gif

just my opinion. I live part time on East coast Vietnam and Cam Ranh, Phang Rang & Nha Trang are much better suited for a full fledged Navy Base.

"The US lobbyist was also hired to lobby for US military assistance in establishing a safe harbor zone around Thailand's waters."

​Safe from who exactly? Which begs the question... Who in the world is safe from the U.S.?

You are probably safe Local Drunk, which most likely isn't the case for your hepatic tissue based on your Avatar Name.

No One

$20,000 might cover the expense of one employee of the lobbying firm to fly first class to meet Yingluck for one hour to discuss the proposition.

Other than that, since we are no longer in PI, it might make good sense for us to be here. I would think that the US would find this attractive.

I just returned from the Philippines, and the government there is tap-dancing about yet another report that they asked the US to build a permanent base while the US keeps reiterating that they will support the PI, they will continue to have military cooperation and exercises, but they have no interest in a permanent base.

This is pretty much what they said to Vietnam as well when the Vietnamese floated the idea of the US taking over the naval base at Cam Ranh Bay. Both Vietnam and the Philippines (along with Taiwan, Malaysia, and Brunei) lay claim to parts of the Spratleys, an area that China claims in total. The Philippines and China have squared off several times this year in the waters over the issue. The accepted thinking is that both countries would like the presence of the US Navy to counter China in the region and keep them from simply seizing the islands.

I am sure we are all looking forward to the day when Thailand unilaterally declares its Air Defence Identification Zone to cover the waters off the Cambodian coast and the border over the Preah Vihear area and then patrols it with its newly acquired Gripen jets. Oh the national pride this will cause...

"The US lobbyist was also hired to lobby for US military assistance in establishing a safe harbor zone around Thailand's waters."

​Safe from who exactly? Which begs the question... Who in the world is safe from the U.S.?

Why bother lobbying anyway. Just mention it on your phone and the message will be heard.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Not a bad thing overall I think. The U.S wants to increase it's strength in the asia/pacific region and it will also generate millions in revenue for Thailand. Might have to build more bars and hire more girls.

Not bad for the US. But will put Thailand in a bind. It will also serve as staging point for the US to physically interfere in the Thailands domestic issues and the surrounding countries.