Crackdown On Flashy, Skin-tight Uni Uniforms

george

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if anyone else has read that little red book, written & distributed by the Thai Ministry of Culture, titled, "Thai Etiquette?"

It is great for a real laugh. :o

I have read that web site now and, unlike you, saw no reason to laugh. It contains little I did not know already and represents only a fraction of what one gets to know about Thai etiquette if one lives in Thailand for some length of time, interacts socially with Thais, and has occasion to meet members of the Royal family.

--------------

Maestro

I only mentioned this because most Thai people I know would only observe about 5% of the books 'rules'. Of course, the 'Wai'ing & the Royal protocols are very beneficial, if not essential.

If i would have a daughter i would not let her wear one of those tight uniforms. I have sent a few times already visiting nieces back into their rooms to change when they were on their way out with too revealing dresses.

Here in rape central it is already dangerous enough for women, why attract even more attention?

I only mentioned this because most Thai people I know would only observe about 5% of the books 'rules'.
Your situation, then, differs from mine. Most people I know wai by the book, whether they are waiing me (a few insist on shaking my hand), relatives, other Thais, monks, Buddha statues in temples.

--------------

Maestro

Steve, I am sure those girls would really appreciate you posting their faces on the internet without their permission.

Ditto.

I do think it is a bit ... well,... gross? weird? strange? to run around and photograph students in their uniforms.

Hobbies... :o

Edited by ColPyat

Good to know the PC Police are alive and well and patroling TV ! :D

Colonel, if you would care to dress-up in a tight shirt and short skirt someone would probably oblige you and post a pic of you as well........ :o

Blood and guts at the accident scenes... NO PROBLEM! ..... but dare to post a pic of an attractive lady on the street and you get tarred and feathered around here!

~WISteve

Actually, its more of a privacy issue with me Steve, I'd really dislike it myself, if someone I had never met was posting pictures

of me on an open public forum.

Too bad common courtesy and consideration is considered PC.

Actually, its more of a privacy issue with me Steve, I'd really dislike it myself, if someone I had never met was posting pictures

of me on an open public forum.

Too bad common courtesy and consideration is considered PC.

Most men don't care until it's their wives, daughters, mothers, sisters, than watch them become violent and mad. :o

Colonel, if you would care to dress-up in a tight shirt and short skirt someone would probably oblige you and post a pic of you as well........ :o

Blood and guts at the accident scenes... NO PROBLEM! ..... but dare to post a pic of an attractive lady on the street and you get tarred and feathered around here!

~WISteve

Other that we are talking here about copyright issues and infringement on privacy (and different than "blood and guts at the accident scenes" shot by a professional you *will* have a hard time explaining why photographing students as an amateur photographer is in the public interest once you are caught) i really have to wonder why some bloke from the US has to take pictures of female students here in tight uniforms.

Which basically explains my previous post of why i do not allow my nieces to go out in skimpy dresses while they are staying with me - to protect them from all sort of pervs.

Edited by ColPyat

~WISteve

Other that we are talking here about copyright issues and infringement on privacy (and different than "blood and guts at the accident scenes" shot by a professional you *will* have a hard time explaining why photographing students as an amateur photographer is in the public interest once you are caught) i really have to wonder why some bloke from the US has to take pictures of female students here in tight uniforms.

Which basically explains my previous post of why i do not allow my nieces to go out in skimpy dresses while they are staying with me - to protect them from all sort of pervs.

Knock off the US crap, okay. I am not pleased with the post he made and neither is sbk, we are both yanks. So, cut the crap, Pat.

Knock off the US crap, okay. I am not pleased with the post he made and neither is sbk, we are both yanks. So, cut the crap, Pat.

What? :o

Take some prozac, mate. I can't help it, but he is from the US, according to him.

do your nieces also have their own rights and wishes or is it you that decide...? :o you must be the man with the big bucks that they follow your 'orders/demand'...and laugh behind your back when you're gone.

LaoPo

What? :o

Take some prozac, mate. I can't help it, but he is from the US, according to him.

Which doesn't have anything to do with his behavior. So, stop acting like it does.

do your nieces also have their own rights and wishes or is it you that decide...? :D you must be the man with the big bucks that they follow your 'orders/demand'...and laugh behind your back when you're gone.

LaoPo

While they are in my house, they are my responsibility, and have to follow mine and the wife's rules. If they believe that their freedom is infringed they dont need to come to visit.

It is common sense, actually. Bangkok is rather dangerous in terms of rape, and i do not wish to pick up one of my nieces in a police station, hospital, or, god forbid, having to identify them in the morgue.

Other than that, if you think that i am conservative/dictatorial - then you have not seen the wife yet - the personification of 'hua boran'. And, throwing "big bucks" around...WOW...not with the wife controlling the finances... :D:o

What? :D

Which doesn't have anything to do with his behavior. So, stop acting like it does.

Oh, so sorry, let me rephrase my casual statement:

*i really have to wonder why some bloke from the US from a large western landmass but of undefined heritage has to take pictures of female students here in tight uniforms.*

:o

hmmm happening again?

Face it .. the girls dress the way they do ... just like teens and tweens anywhere. As for bangkok being so unsafe .... it has its moments ... but overall it is way safer than where I come from ... sooo ... drama aside ... good on them for expressing themselves!

What would you say if he was Japanese, Chinese, or hey Thai?

Please, if you really have to flame me, could you do so with a bit more creativity, please? :D:D

Why, you aren't putting much effort in to your yank bashing, just the standard. :o

hmmm happening again?

Face it .. the girls dress the way they do ... just like teens and tweens anywhere. As for bangkok being so unsafe .... it has its moments ... but overall it is way safer than where I come from ... sooo ... drama aside ... good on them for expressing themselves!

Hmmm, right...girls "expressing" themselves via skin tight skirts...definately an interesting perspective... :D

And i thought i am a chauvinist bstard? :o

What would you say if he was Japanese, Chinese, or hey Thai?

Fcking A$$!! :D

Please, if you really have to flame me, could you do so with a bit more creativity, please? :D:D

Why, you aren't putting much effort in to your yank bashing, just the standard. :o

JESAAAAS!

OK, my first statement was a casual statement, no yank bashing involved. If the guy would have been a kraut, i would have said "from Germany", if he would have been a brit, i would have said "from the UK", a Chinese, then i would have said "from China". Get it?

Just because i did a bit of Yank bashing in another forum, which you didn't find funny, but others did, does not mean that every time i say "US" means that i am bashing Yanks.

Apart from that, if you keep on carrying that Yank chip on your shoulder, than i am sure that far more serious Yank bashers than me will get ideas.

Let me tell you a secret - Yank bashing is only fun when Yanks take offense.

Can we PLEASE get back now to the original topic? please?

hmmm happening again?

Hmmm, right...girls "expressing" themselves via skin tight skirts...definately an interesting perspective... :D

And i thought i am a chauvinist bstard? :o

will the constant baiting NEVER end?

Yes expression .... I guess some people missed the point where teens and the 20 somethings LIKE dressing like their peers (as stated in the article) or that they LIKE looking good ... Same with the guys wearing stuff that I personallly think looks Tacky ... but I am not a fan of seeing boxers showing over pants ...

They may NOT like old white guys leering at them and taking pictures .. but they do like the boys in school doing that ... the ones that don't DO NOT dress that way. <amazing huh?>

ok ... this is yet another thread that I won't bee responding to the baiting again ... hopefully this will end soon!

will the constant baiting NEVER end?

Yes expression .... I guess some people missed the point where teens and the 20 somethings LIKE dressing like their peers (as stated in the article) or that they LIKE looking good ... Same with the guys wearing stuff that I personallly think looks Tacky ... but I am not a fan of seeing boxers showing over pants ...

They may NOT like old white guys leering at them and taking pictures .. but they do like the boys in school doing that ... the ones that don't DO NOT dress that way. <amazing huh?>

ok ... this is yet another thread that I won't bee responding to the baiting again ... hopefully this will end soon!

Yes, we all know that you would never bait. :o

But anyhow, i guess any discussion is useless as you do not accept the reality that Bangkok is very dangerous regarding rapes.

Many students do as we all do when we are young - being a bit naive about dangers, well, until caught in the middle. It is the responsibility of parents and teachers to try their best in protecting these kids from danger until they are old and wise enough to realise those dangers themselves.

Do whatever you want, and live with the consequences, and so do I.

"Other that we are talking here about copyright issues and infringement on privacy (and different than "blood and guts at the accident scenes" shot by a professional you *will* have a hard time explaining why photographing students as an amateur photographer is in the public interest once you are caught) i really have to wonder why some bloke from the US has to take pictures of female students here in tight uniforms."

Copyright issues and infringement on privacy? :o

Jai Dee might have an "issue" with a reprint from The Nation, but I'm not so sure what you are jabbering about there, Colonel?

Since when does any photograph taken have to be "in the public interest"? Or are you just making this up as you go along?

You'll have to explain to me why I can not take a picture in public, since every court case I have ever seen will defend that right. I'm not looking in any windows or peeking over a fence. I'm not trespassing or making any effort to capture an image that the subjects weren't putting on full view on a public street to any casual observer. I'm not looking down anyone's shirt or up anyone's skirt. THAT would be an invasion of their privacy, since they did not intend to put that on public display. I don't make this a "hobby" by the way. I was down in the Siam Square area in the spring/summer of '05 and happened to have my camera along that time. It's only sinister in your narrow mind, Colonel. I'm not going to be "caught" for anything because I did nothing wrong.

The Yank bashing is just standard fare from you.....

~WISteve

Edited by WISteve

Cheers for the explanation there Steve. But in that vein, why don't you post a picture of yourself here? Or even better, post some nice revealing shots of your daughter or sister here? I mean, what does it matter? Its only PC attitudes anyway, right?

I was just trying to point out that you can leer all you want, and if you feel like posting photos of girls try to leave their faces out of it. It is extremely rude and disrespectful to post someone else's photo with a full face shot as you have done on an open public forum without their permission. Tight skirts or not.

As I have already said, too bad common courtesy and consideration for others is considered PC.