Crackdown On Flashy, Skin-tight Uni Uniforms

george

I wonder if anyone else has read that little red book, written & distributed by the Thai Ministry of Culture, titled, "Thai Etiquette?"
Do you mean this one?

--------------

Maestro

I've now been able to access the weblink you posted...it is NOT the book that I speak of. Also, it's not red.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to me that some of you really are clueless.

Looking back one page to the pictures (filched off the web somewhere I suppose.. :o ...) of warm bodies with big white squares on them. Do you find anything attractive about them? If you do, I propose YOU are the one who is the weirdo. You have taken some beautiful ladies and made them into OBJECTS with bare legs sticking out. You have dehumanized them and made something beautiful into something dirty.

The Thai uni girls are a sight to behold and appreciate, not to turn into something ugly and smutty. I posted them orignially because I think they are beautiful and it was the topic of discussion. And I still maintain that no harm is done to any of them by posting these pictures. If someone did recognize them, in all likelihood they would have SEEN THEM in those exact same clothes on the street, coming and going to classes! Where is the harm?

I think there is a small group of you that have some repressed issues to deal with if you insist that those pictures are anything but of attractive young ladies who are dressing like their peers and are seen by there family and their classmates every day dressed exactly as they appear in my photographs.

I'll pull them and to 'ell with the lot of you.

Get out your burkas. You've won.

~WISteve

"Cheers for the explanation there Steve. But in that vein, why don't you post a picture of yourself here? Or even better, post some nice revealing shots of your daughter or sister here? I mean, what does it matter? "

BTW sbk, if you weren't a moderator, I'd report YOU !

Edited by WISteve

Looking back one page to the pictures (filched off the web somewhere I suppose.. :o ...) of warm bodies with big white squares on them. Do you find anything attractive about them? If you do, I propose YOU are the one who is the weirdo. You have taken some beautiful ladies and made them into OBJECTS with bare legs sticking out. You have dehumanized them and made something beautiful into something dirty.

The Thai uni girls are a sight to behold and appreciate, not to turn into something ugly and smutty. I posted them orignially because I think they are beautiful and it was the topic of discussion. And I still maintain that no harm is done to any of them by posting these pictures. If someone did recognize them, in all likelihood they would have SEEN THEM in those exact same clothes on the street, coming and going to classes! Where is the harm?

I think there is a small group of you that have some repressed issues to deal with if you insist that those pictures are anything but of attractive young ladies who are dressing like their peers and are seen by there family and their classmates every day dressed exactly as they appear in my photographs.

~WISteve

"Cheers for the explanation there Steve. But in that vein, why don't you post a picture of yourself here? Or even better, post some nice revealing shots of your daughter or sister here? I mean, what does it matter? "

Off topic, I know but aren't moderators 'equal' to others? Or are they 'special' because they can weild a stick?

~WISteve

Very considerate.

This is a newsforum, and that is why i am posting here.

I am not here so i can share wank pictures and wet dreams, nor am i interested in knowing anyone's sexuality here. I think it would be highly appropriate if we can stay with the news and keep our sexuality private.

There are countless forums for the purpose of sharing whatever turns you on, i believe, in which you can be undisturbed by people like me.

Christ all mighty,

This is starting to sound like my parents bitching when Twiggy first introduced the mini-skirt in the 60s .......

Let the kids wear what they want to...... simple!

Next some of you will be telling the kids what to read and when they come of age, who to vote for!

So Steve takes pictures! Big Deal, until he tries selling them, he has done absolutely nothing wrong!

Personally, I vote for the kids....... let them wear what they want.

Let the kids wear what they want to...... simple!

Yeah, let the kids do whatever they want.

Seems that some still have not learned from the grave failures of Summerhill and the whole '60s anti-authoritarian experiment.

Yeah, let the kids do whatever they want.

Seems that some still have not learned from the grave failures of Summerhill and the whole '60s anti-authoritarian experiment.

No, actually I was thinking more along the line of personal responsibility........

I don't think that having someone tell you what is right/wrong is the answer ColPyat, I think that you can try and lead by example, but at the end of the day, it is the individual who must make the decision for themselves.

Do you really think that you can use your moral code to lead someone else's life for them? I guess you are assuming the ultimate responsibility!

No, actually I was thinking more along the line of personal responsibility........

I don't think that having someone tell you what is right/wrong is the answer ColPyat, I think that you can try and lead by example, but at the end of the day, it is the individual who must make the decision for themselves.

Do you really think that you can use your moral code to lead someone else's life for them? I guess you are assuming the ultimate responsibility!

Personal responsibility is the point.

I know that many here in the discussion do reject that Bangkok is very dangerous especially for women, regarding rape. That is the main reason for me not willing to allow any female under my care going out in too revealing clothes. This has far less to do with morals than with basic security issues. As i posted already - i do not want to go through the nightmare of having to pick up my nieces in a police station, hospital, or having to identify them in the morgue.

You don't believe me? Go to police stations and ask the officers about rape and gang violence in Bangkok.

That is the main reason for me not willing to allow any female under my care going out in too revealing clothes.

And, in your opinion, at what age can a female decide for herself? :o

Does that include your wife as well?

LaoPo

"I am not here so i can share wank pictures and wet dreams, nor am i interested in knowing anyone's sexuality here. "

Neither am I.

And if I'd known that was what you were doing with my pictures Colonel, I never would have posted them.

Here's an original idea: if you wish to ramble on about your "Safety in Bangkok" topic why don't you start one of your own? :o:D

~WISteve

I realize Colpyat is new around here... or at least this version of his nick is... so I'll point out a major aspect of TV that he is clearly unaware of, apparently due to his newbie status or I suppose it could just as easily be because he likes to take the opposite side of any and all issue.

Not all the news threads in the "Thailand News clippings" section is as serious as some of the other news that gets posted in the same section.

As of this moment there are almost 397 pages of thread titles in this section containing 3,965 threads. Some very serious, some so-so serious, some down-right laughable, and all points in between. It has been a tradition since I joined in November 93 that the laughable threads are quite a point to post laughable or interesting or even poke provocative fun at with jokes and/or photos. At the same time, the serious threads are time to post as serious and poignant as one can with as great a care and accuracy as possible.

If you want seriousness with each and every news thread, you're in the wrong place. Perhaps the Christian Science Monitor Forum might be more to your liking.

Most members have no difficulty with being versatile enough to be serious with the serious threads and joke and laugh along with the more humourous ones.

Most members can sort out which is which rather readily, but since you apparently have difficulty with such.... here's some TV pointers.

Serious thread titles:

Those that contain the words, "murder," "death," or "tsunami."

Laughable thread titles:

Often contain the words, "hub," "crackdown," or "Khun Nevin"

One more extra bonus pointer: just about any title containing the word "flashy" is going to fall into the laughable thread category.

What I enjoy about this section is that diversity in the news... some light-hearted, some disturbing, some heart-warming, some depressing, some distressing, and some laughable.

Most TV posters have the intellectual ability to respond correctly in the proper light to the corresponding thread.

Certainly the high majority of Bedlam-level posters do, especially.

I hope that as one TV member to another I've helped you during this period of indocrination into Thaivisa.... and that if you review even just a hundred pages of thread titles you'll see what I'm saying.

Hopefully you'll take all this in the benevolent manner in which it's intended. It's all in an effort to make TV a better place for all.

I, for one, certainly don't wish you nor I to have a repeat of the suspended posting right privilege again.

I'm sure you didn't like it the same as I didn't.

Hopefully you'll take all this in the benevolent manner in which it's intended. It's all in an effort to make TV a better place for all.

I, for one, certainly don't wish you nor I to have a repeat of the suspended posting right privilege again.

I'm sure you didn't like it the same as I didn't.

Point taken, and to some part accepted as well. I'll try to hold my personal feelings back regarding the posting of those pictures.

Nevertheless, i can assure you that:

1) i have never posted here under any other handle

2) my style might seem a bit controversial, but that has more to do that i have an intense personality. I am neither dishonest in what i post, nor am i a troll. I do post to the best of my knowledge and experience.

I hope we can start burying the hatchet, can discuss our opposing opinions without flaming each other. We may not come like each other, but at least we can try to accept each other. This would make posting here for me a far more comfortable experience, and i guess for you as well.

That is the main reason for me not willing to allow any female under my care going out in too revealing clothes.

LaoPo

Well, the issue is more: My house - My rules. You don't like them - you are free to leave. I don't hold anyone as a prisoner.

Regarding my wife (which actually is none of your, or anyone's business), she has equal saying about what is acceptable or not in our house, and our opinions regarding the topic at hand do only differ that she is far more conservative than me.

Anyhow, don't make this out as if this some twisted male-decides-over-female thing, because it is not.

It's about responsibility, a simple security issue. Would you walk around at night here showing everybody a huge wad of cash you carry?

The world isn't a fair place, especially not here. It would be nice if women here could dress the way they want to, go anywhere not having to fear rape or harrasment. Unfortunately though there are far too many cold and deranged humans around.

And yes, i do know of the researches done in the west that rape has very little to do if women wear provocative dress or not. I have though my suspicions that this is here only partially valid. Opportunistic gang rape of young girls is far too often excused by those girls being "dek thiaow" and therefore initiated it. Twisted logic - but reality.

I don't know about you, but i have been around far too many rape cases here (gang rapes, rape murders, child rapes ... name it - i have seen it) so that i am more than paranoid about this issue.

LaoPo

1. Well, the issue is more: My house - My rules. You don't like them - you are free to leave. I don't hold anyone as a prisoner.

2. I don't know about you, but i have been around far too many rape cases here (gang rapes, rape murders, child rapes ... name it - i have seen it) so that i am more than paranoid about this issue.

To start with: you didn't answer the question and I repeat:

"And, in your opinion, at what age can a female decide for herself?" How old are your nieces anyway?

1. But looking at your point taken (above under #1) it's obvious...BUT: you do hold your nieces as 'prisoners' because you are taking away their own 'brains' since they have to follow your rules....and if not: take it or leave it and you would put them in the streets :D

I wonder what they would do if they (or family) had the sufficient financials to live on their own :D

2. To answer your question about rapes: NO, I haven't been 'around' like you have been, although I've been around in and out LOS for 30 years..... and that's why:

I simply wonder where-and-when you have been 'around' to have witnessed and seen 'gang rapes, rape murders and even child rapes....' :D

In short: you ASK for respect....have you ever heard of GIVING respect, even to youngsters?

LaoPo

LaoPao .... save yourself now! ... just let it go and run away !

<the rest is self edited to avoid the master baiter's game>

It's about schoolgirl Unis ... not about Col's household ... or motorcycle gangs outside of BKK or anything else :o

Edited by jdinasia

I wonder what they would do if they (or family) had the sufficient financials to live on their own :o

My younger nieces are in school in the village, and visit us during their holidays. Believe it or not - they do that because they enjoy being with us.

My older nieces and neviews have their own lifes and money, and they come to visit us once a while because they see me and the wife as some sort of surrogate parents as their own parents have never cared much about them, let them do as they wanted, and have therefore ended up in considerable trouble (one delightful result of that trouble we now raise as our own).

I don't support them financially (except emergencies and the usual small presents here and there), because i don't believe that splashing out money helps anyone to get on their own feet. I don't think that love or respect can be bought with money.

If they decide to further their studies and need money for that, i will gladly give. But that is in the end entirely up to them.

Edited by ColPyat

~WISteve

report away, I am not ashamed of anything I have had to say. You have wilfully misread everything I have posted here. I do not object to your need to objectify women, hey thats your choice. I do object to your posting the faces of people you do not know without their permission on an open public forum.

Shall I repeat it again so you can understand it this time? It is inappropriate to post faces of people you do not know who have not given you permission on an open public forum. men, women or children. Rear shots, faces blanked out, whatever turns your crank, as long as not obscene are not objectionable. But my point, which you chose to ignore, is that you are invading these people's privacy by doing so.

sbk ... I think it was tacky .. in poor taste maybe ... but not WRONG for those shots to be posted ... after all they were taken in a public space and eloquently showed the issue being discussed. They were not placed in a position to make them something they were not ... <ie: he didn't take pics of real schollgirls and place them in front of Skoolhouse"

I assume if the y were WRONG and not just someone's version of what is PC then they would have been removed and a warning issued!

when Twiggy first introduced the mini-skirt in the 60s .......
This reminds me: at that time a French acquaintance of mine said – and I give my English translation – “the mini-skirt allows a girl to run faster... and because of it she may have to”

---------------

Maestro

I think it would be highly appropriate if we can stay with the news and keep our sexuality private.
We may not come like each other,

A bit inconsistent, IMHO, from one post to the other....

but anyway.....

just for the record... I pretty much do so the way most guys do.

Edited by sriracha john

Related news:

Poll says Thai student morality in decline

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's education minister said Thursday a recent poll suggested that the level of morality and sense of responsibility among students has declined despite their good education.

--TNA 2006-05-11

what good education? The education minister is clearly a fool. The education has declined more than the morals

I think it would be highly appropriate if we can stay with the news and keep our sexuality private.

but anyway.....

:o

No comment.

But it is nice to see you guys are finally making up.

:D

Anyone got some more pics? :D

I wondered if there were any Thai people reading this who had any opinions on this matter: the issue of stricter dress codes for students; are that comfortable that female students are being ogled by certain foreign men; or are they happy that certain foreigners are lurking around taking photos of unsuspecting females - who are still considered children by a large amount of Thais.

Edited by The Dan Sai Kid

but anyway.....

:o

No comment.

But it is nice to see you guys are finally making up.

:D

Anyone got some more pics? :D

Sorry, but I'm far too modest to post pics of the above described matter...

Thanks for asking, anyway, though...

I will stick with the no comment option to part of the above posts too ... but I was reading through the Chula site and cae across some galleries ... fitted shirts ... fitted skirts above the knees ... etc :o