Political turmoil affecting Thailand's global position

webfact

Political turmoil affecting Thailand's global position
Nakarin Srilert
The Nation

30222074-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A restaurant in Soi Thonglor has decorated its Christmas tree with Thai-flag ribbons and whistles, which are symbols used by protesters who have joined mass demonstrations in Bangkok seeking a reform of the democratic political system.

A restaurant in Soi Thonglor has decorated its Christmas tree with Thai-flag ribbons and whistles, which are symbols used by protesters who have joined mass demonstrations in Bangkok seeking a reform of the democratic political system.
FTI worries about decline in purchase orders; PTTEP urges businesses to expand abroad

The Federation of Thai Industries (FTI) has expressed concern over a possible reduction of purchase orders from the manufacturing sector because of the prolonged political protests, expecting impacts to be seen in the second quarter of 2014.

Meanwhile PTT Production and Exploration (PTTEP) has suggested that the private sector fortify itself against political fluctuations and uncertainty, partly by expanding outside the country and capitalising on growth elsewhere.

Speaking at a seminar on "2014: Thailand's Direction in the World", FTI chairman Payungsak Chartsutipol said he was concerned about the political situation, for which there was still no certain resolution in sight, as Thailand was highly connected with the global economy.

Exports contribute about 60-70 per cent of the country's gross domestic product. If foreign customers view Thailand as being in constant turmoil, their confidence will lessen, fearing that manufacturers here will not be able to produce products as ordered.

The political situation is expected to affect the Thai economy adversely from now through the second quarter of 2014 despite brighter prospects for the global economy, Payungsak said. The World Bank has raised its estimate for global GDP growth next year on the back of signs of a US recovery and China's estimate for its growth at 7.3 per cent.

If Thailand manages to stabilise its political situation, its GDP is expected to expand by 5 per cent next year, around the same as neighbouring countries.

Tevin Vongvanich, PTTEP's president and chief executive officer, said that despite signs of a global economic recovery in 2014, there remained several uncertainties. The Thai private sector needed to be ready for a possible delay in public investments due to political risks, which would likely slow the economy.

Still, given the likelihood of a healthier global economy, Thai companies could expand their investment in foreign countries where business is likely to see high growth, he said.

Private corporations may take this opportunity to strengthen their competitiveness by developing their human resources and information technology, improving internal organisational transparency, and paying more attention to stakeholders through marketing and corporate-social-responsibility activities.

Meanwhile, the European Asean Business Centre (EABC) lamented the dissolution of Parliament, saying this would disrupt negotiations on a free-trade agreement between Thailand and the European Union.

"The timing of the dissolution of Parliament is not ideal for Thailand, as the Thai-EU Free Trade Agreement is currently being negotiated," the EABC said in a statement. "Considering the economic situation in Thailand, with low growth, it would be extremely beneficial for the Thai economy if this FTA could be concluded quickly, since this will benefit Thailand greatly and jump-start the economy.

"Thailand is losing precious time and may even fall behind [its] Asean peers, some of which are also in FTA negotiations with the EU," the statement said.

Noting that European corporations have considerable investments in this country, the EABC wished to see Thailand grow stronger and take opportunities to become an economic hub within Asean.

"This may be at stake with the ongoing demonstrations and the call for an appointed government," it said.

It added that while those companies that had operated in Thailand for a long time might understand the underlying political factors, outsiders viewing media coverage of the conflict on a daily basis would certainly be discouraged about investing in this country, or would at least postpone their investment projects. Therefore, the political crisis comes at an inopportune time.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-14

"Therefore, the political crisis comes at an inopportune time."

​An inopportune time? Or would that be in future years when Thailand is completely economically and morally bankrupt?

​As it sits Thailand has not been able to stabilise its political platform for some 8 or 9 years, and until such time as the political position is reformed it is not going to.

Edited by Roadman

Christmas, is a Christian celebration of Christ and shouldn't be hijacked and used as a political tool by nut job supporters of Suthep. A lot of Christians take this time of the year very seriously. If they tried to use Ramadan in their political protests then would have it arse kicked of the planet. If other people used significant Thai Budhist celebrations for their own means then a lot of Thais would be extremely upset.

Show a little respect to others and their cultures and keep religion out of it.

yes, and i guess nobody told them that santa claus wear a red suit...cheesy.gif

ps: i will write him a letter now to tell him to avoid Thailand this 24 december

i dont want him get in some troublepassifier.gif

He may be a little busy as he has a major corporation to run and has to exploit a religious celebration to sell his stock.

In western countries Thai politics are seen as a joke. Through and through corrupt. The different prime ministers that came after the crook Thaksin are all family of him or close to him. The ways of the banana-republics.

Present pm Yingluck is seen as a nonintellectual bimbo who embarrasses governments with unsollicitit visits. Wasn't that a pleonasm? Suppose so :)

• Like 2

Christmas, is a Christian celebration of Christ and shouldn't be hijacked and used as a political tool by nut job supporters of Suthep. A lot of Christians take this time of the year very seriously. If they tried to use Ramadan in their political protests then would have it arse kicked of the planet. If other people used significant Thai Budhist celebrations for their own means then a lot of Thais would be extremely upset.

Great point. Without any understanding of the true meaning of Christmas, it is a disgrace to hang these political ribbons on a Christmas tree. As you point out, Thais wouldn't take kindly to hanging political symbols from another country on a Buddha. The newspaper should clarify that it understands the true meaning of Christmas, and not just randomly publish what an idiot restaurant does to try and promote their business.

If they want to use Christmas in all this koas then use it correctly. That means peace, goodwill and forgiveness to all. So pack up your toys, gag that idiot Suthep and place him back in his cage. Forgive Yingluk for all her ills and go home to your families.

Santa is a commercial bullshite side and he doesn't exist Thailand, so he is not going to pop Yingluks resignation into you stocking. Sorry to break the news but there is no Santa.

• Like 1

If PTT tells us to go and invest in outside in other country's , means a lot !

One of Thailand biggest companies and biggest investor and half government owned would sure not invest under a dictatorship as proposed by Suthep.

The country is in a down spiral and not due to the man in Dubai, but 100% due to the lunatic on the stage in BKK.

Please stop him before all companies start talking like this, it's five to twelve.......

In western countries Thai politics are seen as a joke. Through and through corrupt. The different prime ministers that came after the crook Thaksin are all family of him or close to him. The ways of the banana-republics.

Present pm Yingluck is seen as a nonintellectual bimbo who embarrasses governments with unsollicitit visits. Wasn't that a pleonasm? Suppose so smile.png

Does this mean her masters from Kentucky state university is a fake?

Great point. Without any understanding of the true meaning of Christmas, it is a disgrace to hang these political ribbons on a Christmas tree. As you point out, Thais wouldn't take kindly to hanging political symbols from another country on a Buddha. The newspaper should clarify that it understands the true meaning of Christmas, and not just randomly publish what an idiot restaurant does to try and promote their business.

Actually Dec 25 has no religious symbols, firstly JC was not born on that day and secondly Christmas is only a symbol of exchanging gifts in memory of St Nicolas and finally it is only an excuse for single Christians to get drunk.

• Like 1

As a single man I thought the whole prupose of any holiday was to stay sober, feed boze to the intended and then talk her into a poke. Once married, the wife could explain to all, that I had eaten too much thus I was taking a nap to let my stomach settle.

Actually Dec 25 has no religious symbols, firstly JC was not born on that day and secondly Christmas is only a symbol of exchanging gifts in memory of St Nicolas and finally it is only an excuse for single Christians to get drunk.

Hence the popularity of the single Christian dating scene.

For Thai's it is a reason to ask "where's my present".

• Like 1

If you really want to know why, as it is not just presents and drinking. The actual reason for Dec 25 is;

Christmas (Old English: Crīstesmæsse, meaning "Christ's Mass") is an annual commemoration of the birth of Jesus Christ and a widely observed holiday, celebrated generally on December 25 by millions of people around the world. A feast central to the Christian liturgical year, it closes the Advent season and initiates the twelve days of Christmastide, which ends after the twelfth night.[9] Christmas is a civil holiday in many of the world's nations, is celebrated by an increasing number of non-Christians, and is an integral part of the Christmas and holiday season.

While the birth year of Jesus is estimated among modern historians to have been between 7 and 2 BC, the exact month and day of his birth are unknown. His birth is mentioned in two of the four canonical gospels. By the early-to-mid 4th century, the Western Christian Church had placed Christmas on December 25,[17] a date later adopted in the East. The date of Christmas may have initially been chosen to correspond with the day exactly nine months after early Christians believed Jesus to have been conceived, or with one or more ancient polytheistic festivals that occurred near southern solstice (i.e., the Roman winter solstice); a further solar connection has been suggested because of a biblical verse[a] identifying Jesus as the "Sun of righteousness".

Just google, you don't even have to read a book. Or continue to show how smart you really aren't.

One of Thailand biggest companies and biggest investor and half government owned would sure not invest under a dictatorship as proposed by Suthep.

The country is in a down spiral and not due to the man in Dubai, but 100% due to the lunatic on the stage in BKK.

Please stop him before all companies start talking like this, it's five to twelve.......

Bass ackwards! Bucko

• Like 1

From my personal point of view I worry for my own future. Because I am committed to living in Thailand indefinitely, on Thailand's not so very generous terms' I feel assaulted when one political figure after another insults me because I'm a foreigner.

For example:-

'Thaksin announced when electioneering stated the he would eject farang if that has purchased a house via his limited company and give it to a Thai family.

Abhisit closed the Thai Rak Thai party down, damaging every Thai and farang by wrecking the economy with projects and programs that were not successful.

Yingluck insulted me by reintroducing the threat of her Brother to steal my company house.

Suthep pulled the Pua Thai Party down for his own selfish reasons, as any resident knows all Thai governments are corrupt so there is little point in replacing a government for that reason.

Again the Thai economy is in a state of collapse and according to the PCDR will be for at least 12-14 years while Suthep himself designs a form of government that works. How can he doesn't even understand the problems.

All of these events damaged my life and business. And no I'm not leaving Thailand.

Edited by indyuk

A Christmas tree is not a Christian symbol, it was hijacked from European pagans. Perhaps that is why 3 wise men didn't bring a tree, no mention of it at birth scenario that I can recall. So perhaps Christians should respect the pagans and abandon Christmas tree, Santa Claus, give 25th back to Mrithra, etc. Christians can take Christmas seriously all they want, but doesn't mean non Christians have to. Me, I like flying spaghetti monster for imaginary deity. Are you willing to respect that?

Don't be silly. If you know nothing about economics and the Thai economy over the last 2.5 years of PTP government then why post?

Oh yes, a chance to try and blame Suthep and whitewash the crook hiding in Dubai.

Recession, massive rice scam loss, billions of baht disappearing, little to show in the way of achievements, Moody's downgrading, no (apparently) real accounting controls or consistent figures - on anything, cheating parliamentary procedures, acting illegally, not doing your job etc etc etc

Yes, let's blame it all on Suthep and see who is daft enough to believe us !

• Like 1

One more serious news article high-jacked by the Red & Yellow supporters/haters.

Thailand is chasing off foreign direct investment with all this political instability. That should be a concern for people, regardless of your favorite color shirt. Foreign investors and businessmen will move away from a country which has constant turmoil in the streets. Even the PTT executive is warning businessmen to consider investments outside Thailand but it seems no one is listening?

Very sad for my adopted home which used to be called the Land of Smiles.

Just overhaul the politics so the government can't be as corrupt as currently and people wont be as dissatisfied. Once the government has enough checks and balances they can't do stuff to make the other party (whatever party that might be) angry enough for protests.

Suthep is an idiot but a tool that might get change done, the only change the reds made was to remove checks and balances. I wonder if they ever want to give up enough power to create an honest government.

I also hope Suthep will make sure that his reforms are not only to benefit the Democrats but really assure corrupt less politics.

And for the Christmas criers.. boo <deleted> who.. grow a thicker skin.