The underpass fiasco

grumpyoldman

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The official opening for the Central tunnel is to be on 6 April.

From recent pictures, I see they have painted lines on the road allowing for three lanes.

I can see a future of scores of mangled right fenders and squashed bike riders.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phukets-first-underpass-set-open-April-6/52622#ad-image-0

It was was always going to be 3 lanes. I was hoping they would see common sense & make it 2.

The official opening for the Central tunnel is to be on 6 April.

From recent pictures, I see they have painted lines on the road allowing for three lanes.

I can see a future of scores of mangled right fenders and squashed bike riders.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phukets-first-underpass-set-open-April-6/52622#ad-image-0

It was was always going to be 3 lanes. I was hoping they would see common sense & make it 2.

Post #16..http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/688989-the-underpass-fiasco/?p=7166584

Any chance we can get the drain covers set flush with the rest of the road surface on the south bound slip roads before the project is signed off?

You mean like the ones on the road behind Big C where most of them are raised above road level & can be quite bone shaking not to mention wear & tear on vehicles.

Any chance we can get the drain covers set flush with the rest of the road surface on the south bound slip roads before the project is signed off?

You mean like the ones on the road behind Big C where most of them are raised above road level & can be quite bone shaking not to mention wear & tear on vehicles.
That's to be the worst road on Phuket. Whoever thought it was a good idea to place the grates directly in the the centre of the road was insane. I suspect they wanted to save money by building one set of drains instead of one on each side.

The other day it looked like they were trying to lift the base of the overhead walkway by the school. Parts of the side just shattered exposing the rebar. Does not instill confidence in the strength of the walkway or that possibly bits of concrete will break off caused by vibrations of vehicles passing by. Also likely they do not have a clue how to sling a load properly.

The other day it looked like they were trying to lift the base of the overhead walkway by the school. Parts of the side just shattered exposing the rebar. Does not instill confidence in the strength of the walkway or that possibly bits of concrete will break off caused by vibrations of vehicles passing by. Also likely they do not have a clue how to sling a load properly.

“just shattered exposing the rebar” – this is a very serious issue as I would expect to see at least 50mm cover to the rebar (the distance from the edge of the outside face of a rebar to the outside face of the concrete). This would suggest poor fabrication and the concrete mix not being up to specification. The subject of vibration affecting the structure will be minimal as the piers (where maximum shear will occur) are normally designed with movement joints or are supported on bearings. However, I take your concern as should the longitudinal beam(s) fail it won’t matter how the ends are supported...coffee1.gif

“just shattered exposing the rebar” – this is a very serious issue as I would expect to see at least 50mm cover to the rebar (the distance from the edge of the outside face of a rebar to the outside face of the concrete). This would suggest poor fabrication and the concrete mix not being up to specification. The subject of vibration affecting the structure will be minimal as the piers (where maximum shear will occur) are normally designed with movement joints or are supported on bearings. However, I take your concern as should the longitudinal beam(s) fail it won’t matter how the ends are supported...coffee1.gif

"normally designed" is the key here. The walkway was up yesterday & you could still see the broken section coming from the north side. It is more like a flange section & likely not critical to the overall structure but still it does not instill confidence.

Apparently the underpass was officially opened today.

Anyone used it yet?

How does the 3 lane system work?

Yes opened "officially" today, but not open for traffic.....yet, maybe next weekend. Seems that they have to check some equipmentsclap2.gif

Anyone used it yet?

Yes opened "officially" today, but not open for traffic.....yet, maybe next weekend. Seems that they have to check some equipmentsclap2.gif

Yes, just read that!

Could even be months yet before it can be used! At least the thread is appropriately titled.

cheesy.gif

Edited by Old Croc

Anyone used it yet?

Yes opened "officially" today, but not open for traffic.....yet, maybe next weekend. Seems that they have to check some equipments:clap2:

Only in Thailand could that make any 'sense' ...

Although I don't think it has ever been a "fiasco" there are a few current issues:

1. People are choosing to u-turn at the entrance to the southbound tunnel instead of using the lights creating a huge tailback.
  2. The drain covers as mentioned above have not been set flush.

Can anyone think of any drain cover anywhere that has been set flush to the road surface?

It doesn't matter if they aren't flush, it's the positioning of them being in the lanes. If they were in the gutters it wouldn't be an issue.

Can't believe the home works side above ground drains are in the outside lane and inches above the surface in some spots.

Unbelievable.

Just want to say the tunnel is pretty nice.
Efficient now getting through going straight.
Only problem now that I see is if you do want to turn into town from that intersection, the lights are very long, and must be adjusted to account for the decrease in traffic.

Each way had about 30 seconds of non-activity at the end of each green light cycle.

That's a lot of people waiting for nothing.

There was an accident about 100 meters to the south today and that backed up traffic into the tunnel.
I wouldn't want to be down there on a bike if that was to happen, and be behind one of those black smoke belching buses.

Possibly THAT is the reason for the no-bike rule???

People just don't understand that they need to keep left to go to central heading south. Many are going through the tunnel and throwing a dangerous uturn once they exit the tunnel.

Major pile up waiting to happen.

Seriously, some people are just plain stupid.

People just don't understand that they need to keep left to go to central heading south. Many are going through the tunnel and throwing a dangerous uturn once they exit the tunnel.

Major pile up waiting to happen.

Seriously, some people are just plain stupid.

They either U-Turn directly before the tunnel or straight after instead of using the lights.

It needs to have a curb along there (or some old scabby tyres as commonly used) to stop U-turns