Thai military chief rebuffs protesters' intervention plea

Lite Beer

Thai military chief rebuffs protesters' intervention plea

BANGKOK, December 14, 2013 (AFP) - Thailand's military chief on Saturday shrugged off an opposition rally leader's appeal to intervene in support of protester efforts to topple the government and install an unelected 'people's council'.

Weeks of boisterous demonstration have gripped Bangkok in the latest political turmoil for the putsch-prone nation, prompting premier Yingluck Shinawatra to call snap elections for February 2 to try and calm tensions.

But the vote has been rejected by opposition demonstrators, who have vowed to keep up their fight to rid the country of the influence of Yingluck's divisive brother Thaksin, a former Thai prime minister who was ousted in a 2006 military coup.

Responding to calls by protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban to "stand by the people", the country's head of defence forces Thanasak Patimaprakorn said the "best way to solve the problem is through negotiation".

"Neutral observers should oversee the election and make sure it takes place on February 2," he told a forum, which was also attended by the powerful army chief as well as the heads of the navy and airforce -- but not the government or pro-Thaksin groups.

Suthep used the Bangkok meeting, the first public talks between the generals and protesters, to ask the military to step in on his side and "finish" the stand-off.

The military has a long history of political involvement in Thailand, which has had 18 actual or attempted coups since 1932.

But the army has indicated a reluctance to intervene directly in the current political crisis, although military chiefs did facilitate private talks between Suthep and Yingluck on December 1.

Experts say the generals may be wary of unleashing fresh turbulence in the kingdom, which has been gripped by periodic bouts of sometimes bloody unrest since Thaksin was deposed.

The political conflict broadly pits a Bangkok-based middle class and royalist elite backed by the military against rural and working-class voters loyal to Thaksin, who lives in self-exile in Dubai.

Yingluck's ruling Puea Thai Party is widely expected to win the upcoming vote, bolstered by Thaksin's enduring popularity.

Parties allied to the tycoon have won every election since 2001, most recently with a landslide victory for Puea Thai in 2011.

Suthep said he wanted Yingluck to step down before the election, creating a "power vacuum" that could be filled by his proposed handpicked council.

"We can keep on fighting for a year and more people will join, but I know that it will affect (the) economy," he said at the televised meeting, which was also attended by various academics and business people.

"I tried to finish the game earlier, but the government held onto power, so I am waiting for your decision," said the former opposition Democrat Party MP.

The Democrats -- whose MPs resigned en masse Sunday saying they could not achieve anything in parliament -- have not won an elected majority in about two decades.

Five people have been killed and more than 200 injured in violence during the current protests, which have raised international concerns about the Southeast Asian nation, a key tourism and manufacturing hub.

Turnout has fallen sharply since an estimated 140,000 people flooded the streets of Bangkok on Monday.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-12-14

• Like 1

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ooops......a little unexpected awareness from the military, of how, if mishandled, this situation could halt the progress of Thai democracy, the world is watching...where to now Suthep? Looks like the democrats ace is no longer up the sleeve after all......

• Like 2

Thailand's military chief on Saturday shrugged off an opposition rally leader's appeal to intervene in support of protester efforts to topple the government and install an unelected 'people's council'.

Good.

Next step.

As the greatest hope remains the Constitution Court

Hopefully the court judges with a variety of parliamentary requirements to be met in the future, no matter who is in power.
Like for all future budgeting processes they make it compulsory for all future governments, that
- the use of money for project proposals are accurately represented in detail and coherent on the last baht.
- the use of money for project proposals is described in detail for all people publicly documented and visible
- Public monthly or quarterly reports on Finance and project progresses.
- Public invitation for project proposals and at least three competitive compare offers.
- Project completion reports including all expenses with receipts.
- a strong, powerfull supervisory committee composed of members is formed by all parties,
to control the entire investment process without disabilities and time delay restrictions.
The results of the process and progress checks are presented to the parliament.
The members of the supervisory body should rotate so that corruption is impossible or more difficult.
When public funds are used, then the public has the right to see what the representatives of the people plan to do with the money and how it was used.
It must be prevented that a country can be completely plundered by a few unethical people just because they are currently in power.
Furthermore they must lift immunity for criminals.
An untenable situation that convicted criminals gives commands to the government or sitting in the government.
Convicted corrupt people must never have again any access to public funds or offices.

Whoever wins the election, the opposition must also have control options.

That money distributed in the dark among family and friends has to stop.

One of the main issues is rather than have an independent stand alone audit process, we have the dubious actions of the constitutional court showing objection by making random decisions to ban/suspend/control the politicians. Thus the decision making process is flawed. The constitutional court should not have the power to halt progress, this is why the control and 'checks and balances' needs a separate entity. The Thai system as it is actually condones the 'abuse of power' in many areas due to the flimsy interpretations of the archaic laws that can be utilised in many arena. Not to mention of course the immunity which is available to not just politicians, and who brought that little gem into the process? Who supported it? and why was it required?

But the constitutional court is doing the job it is charged with doing.... banning corrupt and slimy politicians and their unconstitutional ways.

Thaksin and his PTP have got too comfortable in the thought that they have absolute power to do whatever they want in Thailand.

It HAS to stop, and this is unfortunately the only way to do it.

• Like 1

This decision will make things worse, not better. My tortoise told me so.

Suthep can forget help from the military, Thaksin has got to them first with his blood soaked money.

It is now down to the people.

Agree - elections on 2nd Feb. That's when the 'people' will decide.

Yes and hopefully with new implemented parliamentary requirements.

Also the Election Commission should even check the partys before, the finances of the parties and made it public who sponsers who.

Suthep can forget help from the military, Thaksin has got to them first with his blood soaked money.

Yes and hopefully with new implemented parliamentary requirements.

Also the Election Commission should even check the partys before, the finances of the parties and made it public who sponsers who.

Definitely much more work needs to be done to reduce money politics but of course this is easier said than done. Let's hope the democratic framework will not be dismantled by the elites and royalists.

• Like 2

But as the PTP has said that they will use the same mp's as in 2011 for their election list, and the constitutional court has said they will only rule after the election, I've such a strange feeling that 2nd February isn't the date that it will be decided.

But as the PTP has said that they will use the same mp's as in 2011 for their election list, and the constitutional court has said they will only rule after the election, I've such a strange feeling that 2nd February isn't the date that it will be decided.

"The constitutional court has said they will only rule after the election."

Can you please give a source/link

Edited by tomacht8
  • Like 1

You can find it yourself, I think it was in Thailand live only 2-3 days ago, where the court said that it accepts the petitions and that it will hear all 300 something parties, but can't guarantee a ruling before the election.

Edit : Sorry my mistake it is the anti corruption commission NACC that made the statement.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/688340-nacc-to-investigate-backers-of-thai-charter-change-draft/

BANGKOK: -- The National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) will meet today to consider the fate of the 312 members of the House and Senate who backed the draft legislation

He said the inquiry would take around one month, but he could not say whether the case would be finished before February 2, the day of the next election.

Edited by PeterSmiles

Can the Constitutional Court on its own ban the party- I can't recall how judicial coups in Thailand work... or is it the EC?

Well- reading the EC comments today ordering the government to smarten up, (as if policing government policies were part of its mandate), I think it's safe to say the PTP is pretty much finished- in this incarnation.

(Curiously, no mention of the Democrats pouting in the corner and not sure if they even want to play- an issue which SHOULD be part of some concern to the EC).

And then too- there was the firing of tear gas at protesters peacefully attempting to plunge the country into anarchy. Game's up for the PTP.

But I wonder how a judicial coup- (another judicial coup) will be greeted among the more ardent redshirts?

Edited by blaze

They won't happen, and if they did, they would be boycotted by the Dems, and the result would not be accepted by the people if the elections went ahead. The protests will ramp back up again and we will be no further forwards.

The honest people of this country will NOT accept a bent election.# again.

• Like 2

You can find it yourself, I think it was in Thailand live only 2-3 days ago, where the court said that it accepts the petitions and that it will hear all 300 something parties, but can't guarantee a ruling before the election.

Edit : Sorry my mistake it is the anti corruption commission NACC that made the statement.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/688340-nacc-to-investigate-backers-of-thai-charter-change-draft/

BANGKOK: -- The National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) will meet today to consider the fate of the 312 members of the House and Senate who backed the draft legislation

He said the inquiry would take around one month, but he could not say whether the case would be finished before February 2, the day of the next election.

Too late for edit, but this is the post I had in mind

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/688640-thailand-live-friday-13-dec-2013/?p=7154874

NACC invites Constitutional Court to testify

Mr Prasart said all the 383 accused lawmakers would be allowed to defend themselves but the NACC would cut short unnecessary procedure in the inquiry process so as to conclude the cases as soon as possible.

But he declined to confirm if the inquiry could finish before the scheduled general election on February 2, but promised to ensure justice for all accused.

After finishing the inquiry and there were strong evidence of malfeasance, then the NACC would file report to the Senate Speaker to pass it on to the Supreme Court’s Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions to make judgment.

Yes and the 'uneducated' poor will no longer accept an unelected government who ignore their rights under the constitution. And this constitution was the result of a nation wide referendum.

Sorry, I don't understand any of this post. Can you please expand on it with more explicit details.

Thanks.

Thailand's military chief on Saturday shrugged off an opposition rally leader's appeal to intervene in support of protester efforts to topple the government and install an unelected 'people's council'.

Good.

Next step.

Hopefully the court judges with a variety of parliamentary requirements to be met in the future, no matter who is in power.
Like for all future budgeting processes they make it compulsory for all future governments, that
- the use of money for project proposals are accurately represented in detail and coherent on the last baht.
- the use of money for project proposals is described in detail for all people publicly documented and visible
- Public invitation for project proposals and at least three competitive compare offers.
- a strong, powerfull supervisory committee composed of members is formed by all parties,
to control the entire investment process without disabilities and time delay restrictions.
The members of the supervisory body should rotate so that corruption is impossible or more difficult.
When public funds are used, then the public has the right to see what the representatives of the people plan to do with the money and how it was used.
It must be prevented that a country can be completely plundered by a few unethical people just because they are currently in power.
An untenable situation that convicted criminals gives commands to the government or sitting in the government.
Convicted corrupt people must never have again any access to public funds or offices.

One of the main issues is rather than have an independent stand alone audit process, we have the dubious actions of the constitutional court showing objection by making random decisions to ban/suspend/control the politicians. Thus the decision making process is flawed. The constitutional court should not have the power to halt progress, this is why the control and 'checks and balances' needs a separate entity. The Thai system as it is actually condones the 'abuse of power' in many areas due to the flimsy interpretations of the archaic laws that can be utilised in many arena. Not to mention of course the immunity which is available to not just politicians, and who brought that little gem into the process? Who supported it? and why was it required?

But the constitutional court is doing the job it is charged with doing.... banning corrupt and slimy politicians and their unconstitutional ways.

Thaksin and his PTP have got too comfortable in the thought that they have absolute power to do whatever they want in Thailand.

So tell me why the senate cannot be elected but must remain 50% appointed,.....against the constitution? there is no democracy in Thailand with the current constitution you wish to continue to be protected. Before you respond I suggest you read it!

Good.

Next step.

So tell me why the senate cannot be elected but must remain 50% appointed,.....against the constitution? there is no democracy in Thailand with the current constitution you wish to continue to be protected. Before you respond I suggest you read it!

You probably considered it also a brilliant idea that spouses and close family members of elected mp's could be elected as senator ?

• Like 1

Whilst Thaksin does hold more sway with the army nowadays there's no way he alone can tell them what to do...

You probably considered it also a brilliant idea that spouses and close family members of elected mp's could be elected as senator ?

I would expect a continuation of strict rules of entry but once passed a person should be allowed to stand for election. Otherwise there is capacity for 'abuse of power' is there not?

I would expect a continuation of strict rules of entry but once passed a person should be allowed to stand for election. Otherwise there is capacity for 'abuse of power' is there not?

So making spouse of elected mp's eligible for election as senator would not be an open door for power abuse ?

Why go through the hassle of electing a few hundred people if everything can be fixed by just a single person family .

Good.

Next step.

You are kidding me right?

PTP have wanted to make several changes to the constitution using their majority tactics, as they already own most of the senate through corruption.

That isn't enough. They want to own the entire senate and buy off most of the lower house by kissing coalition ass.

Then we won't forget that they also want the senate to be composed of family members of the PTP MPs and the remainder of the Shinawatra clan who are not already involved.

Yes, that is not only totally unconstitutional, it is bordering on dictatorship.

The constitution is there to prevent manipulation of the demcratic system and is failing miserably, hence it needs overhauled, but not in the way Thaksin wants it... Unless of course you totally agree with a Shin Dictatorship hidden behind a tissue thin facade of a democracy.

I think you are the one who needs to read up.

Communism would be better than this, and that failed worldwide.