Thai Postal service 100% failure

smedly

I had the same problem a few years ago, a lot of stuff did not arrive by mail. I went to the post office in our Amphur and fied a complain, also on paper (Thai and English). Nothing happend and a lot of my mail was still missing.

I contacted the posal service in Bangkok, talked with them and emailed and faxed my all the details. It took about two weeks of phone calls up and down, but it was solved.

The mailman was fired for not delivering the mail. And the lady I talked to at the postoffice did not forward my complain. She was the wife of my mailman. Shelost her job to.

A month or so later I had a visted at my house from a postal inspector from Bangkok and the manager from the postoffice. They where sorry and wanted to kow if everithing was ok now.

So if you have problems with your mail, contact the postal service in Bangkok, be as detailed as possible and it will work out.

+1. Had the same problem two years after moving to a different town in the same province. Letters properly addressed were getting returned overseas after being sliced open, etc., though no packages were lost. Complained at the local P.O., and they said it was BKK's doing. Wrote a nice letter in English and Thai to BKK, and lo and behold, within a week all themail was being delivered on time, and now it's very rare that we get a plastic envelope with one of those "sorry, our machine ate your letter" messages on a beaten-up envelope. And to further the issue, I've never had a problem with an EMS letter or package, save for one piece of paper in a standard international EMS envelope that was held up in BKK customs for three days "for inspection" - of a single piece of A4 paper lol...

AS I have said before I have had several articles stolen going and coming. Had a box I posted at the local PO dissapear as soon as I left, when I sent the photocopy of the receipt through to my aussie friend they took it to the aussie PO and when they checked the box had never been checked into the system. When I fronted them at the PO they just looked at me stupidly and shrugged. Same with other articles I have posted to Australia, they are simply pocketed, anything of value sent here is taken as are any letters from the bank. Stealing other peoples things is a national pastime it would seem as when I report it to those in charge they simply say that they are aware of it but will do nothing about it, I now regard the mail service as a lottery, if you get anything you can consider yourself a winner.

• Like 1

I had never had a problem either until this year. Several pieces of mail have not arrived that were addressed correctly. Nothing of monetary value just letters, cards, invitations, that sort of thing but rather frustrating. On one occassion two pieces were mailed by the same person at the same time addressed the same way from a US post office. One was in a USPS envelope and one was in a standard envelope. The one in the USPS envelope arrived and the other did not. I think I will file a complaint with the Thai post and see what happens.

You will notice that Thai envelopes are very thick. Our local postman was once seen holding letters up to the light to see their contents. When a credit card went missing we decided to get a PO box at the post office, nothing gone missing since. Officially they cannot sign for registered mail but they do, this is in a small town and they know us personally.

I guess it's wishful thinking to expect anything more in Thailand - sad but true

The puzzle is that it used to be ok - have the red mafia taken over the postal service as well, and I'm actually quite serious when I say that

• Like 1

"Full of Thieves," what, what? It only takes one single thief.

Our village has a population of over 100k people. We have very reliable mail service. Every time I go to the post office the posties ask me to look at a stack of incoming mail improperly addressed to farangs.

No doubt there is a thief. Thai Post has a procedure for catching them as has been already posted here. Write to Bangkok.

If you are really certain of thieving send a few more test pieces from overseas and document everything. FX take a photo. I'd even be tempted to enclose a few worthless banknotes (Nigerian/Myanmar banknotes etc.) to make the envelope a little more tempting to the thief.

I don't know your situation, but I would not rule out thieving after Thai Post has made a delivery. When I was a student I had a roommate steal a credit card from the mail and go on a spending spree. He intercepted my mail after the post had been delivered.

Now this is like tempting fate, but....I have never had any issues with stuff sent through the mail system from the US. Same cannot be said of UPS, Fedex or DHL

I have to agree (crossing fingers as I say this while knocking wood).

My experience with Thai Post has been nothing short of wonderful.

I wish I could say this for the rest of the country, lol

For last three years my all my credo cards were never delivered , and I had to ask for replacement cards and have them collects from the branch. Gift items sent from overseas arrived at Thailand but never reached my address. Only the bills and news letters are always delivered on time

What about registered or certified mail? I would expect that to be safer.

That said, I've never lost anything. I live in a smallish town of 6000, and the post office staff know me, and the postman is my next door neighbour. I have received small parcels, a Visa card from Europe, and letters.

Personally I have never really had a problem receiving mail, it usually arrives sooner sometimes later. EMS seems to work more reliably than ordinary mail, probably because it has been registered. Generally, I have as much as possible sent to me by email, don't like all that paper anyway. For packages I try to have them not sent by mail at all, particularly from abroad, don't want to bother with customs either, if I can't get it from there myself, I usually find a friend to handcarry for me.

I have had lots of letters and parcels sent to me, and none of them have gone missing. I have said that Paypal have been nothing but problems for me, and one or two posters have said they have not had a problem with them. Just the way things work I suppose.

You will notice that Thai envelopes are very thick. Our local postman was once seen holding letters up to the light to see their contents. When a credit card went missing we decided to get a PO box at the post office, nothing gone missing since. Officially they cannot sign for registered mail but they do, this is in a small town and they know us personally.

Is it an advantage to a Farang to have a personal PO box at the post office? and how much do they cost?

"Full of Thieves," what, what? It only takes one single thief.

Our village has a population of over 100k people. We have very reliable mail service. Every time I go to the post office the posties ask me to look at a stack of incoming mail improperly addressed to farangs.

No doubt there is a thief. Thai Post has a procedure for catching them as has been already posted here. Write to Bangkok.

If you are really certain of thieving send a few more test pieces from overseas and document everything. FX take a photo. I'd even be tempted to enclose a few worthless banknotes (Nigerian/Myanmar banknotes etc.) to make the envelope a little more tempting to the thief.

I don't know your situation, but I would not rule out thieving after Thai Post has made a delivery. When I was a student I had a roommate steal a credit card from the mail and go on a spending spree. He intercepted my mail after the post had been delivered.

That must be some village - over 100k people. Wow!

• Like 1

I have a house in Phuket. Through personal experience, I found out that mail posted in Phuket and sent to Europe, arrives ok. Parcels sent from Europe to Phuket, arrive ok. Letters sent from Europe to Phuket, never arrive. Letters sent from Singapore, always arrive.

My assumption is that letters from Europe is always opened in BKK or Phuket in the hope of money being inside. Parcels are sorted separately and harder to discretely search for valuables such as money or cheques. Mail from Singapore maybe goes through a separate sorting line and/or there isn't a natural assumption that cash or cheques are inside an envelope.

I also have a house in a village outsideUdon. I never have mail or bills sent there. Any address written in English means the mail won't arrive. Just incompetence though rather than corruption.

In my long experience, the government Post Offices are quite good (Australian, USA, Thai).

The ones I detest are the couriers, DHL, UPS, Fed Ex, etc.

They cherry-pic the market by providing an enticing front to their originating customers (eg big companies). They provide free pickup, packaging, tracking, etc, but when it gets to the delivery end it's a different story. They often don't have a local depot, just rely on small private taxi trucks to deliver.

These small carriers hate going out of town, even to the point of throwing away parcels to save them a trip.

Many times I've had parcels brought to me by the local children who have found them on the side of the road, very wet and battered of course.

And of course the couriers have their affiliated custom agencies, etc, who charge extra for unnecessary services and refuse to give you your parcel until you pay up. Or force you to sign for unknown services who's bills then trickle in for weeks afterwards.

Edited by jackflash
  • Like 1

Over a period of about 18 mths, several small, low value, packets from overseas "went missing" although I knew all of them to have been correctly addressed.

The last one I had arranged to be sent EMS and signed for on delivery, so I was able to track it online.

To my amazement, it was shown to have been successfully delivered and signed for, apparently by my wife, and the signature was clearly shown on the tracking webpage.

My wife and I took a copy of the webpage to our local main post office and were initially told that, as my wife had signed for it, it had clearly been successfully delivered - that was until she angrily pointed out that her name had been spelled incorrectly! - yes, it was our friendly village postman all along, who, fortunately for us, hadn't read my wife's name correctly on previous mail.

No apologies, but the provincial boss visited our house and asked us not to assume all Thailand Post staff were dishonest!..............to my knowledge, no disciplinary action was ever taken against the thieving little shit as he is still our village postman................

Just as a suggestion, if anyone suspects that their local postman is up to the same tricks, try getting stuff sent Poste Restante to their local main post office.

This has always worked faultlessly in my experience and cuts out one potentially weak link in the chain.

Is it an advantage to a Farang to have a personal PO box at the post office? and how much do they cost?

I have one, no problems anymore ( many letters missing before ): 200 baht a year; to send mail to Europe, I use registered letters ( cheaper than EMS ), always received.

• Like 2