Why so loud?

willyumiii

Why do Thai people seem to like everything to be as loud as possible?

Many speak loud, almost yell at each other when having a regular conversation while in close proximity of each other..

( off topic , but they think it's horrible if a farang gets upset and raises his voice! )

The alter car, truck and motorcycle exhaust systems to make them louder.

A recent post on TV mentioned people buying brand new cars and trucks and cutting off the exhaust system as soon as they get it home!

When they play music at parties or at home, they play it so loud it is distorted and sounds bad.

They will yell to each other from the other side of the village at 5:00 am rather than walk up to the door, and knock softly to see if anyone is awake yet!

It is not a matter of dirty ears!

I see a lot of dirty, ear wax encrusted Q-tips laying around on the ground, So, someone is cleaning their ears!

Can anyone explain why everything needs to be loud?

• Like 2

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it is funny. Of course, I don't recall any of these things happening back in Farangland. blink.png

Yep, stayed in a place at home once where a guy was hammering at 4am! I have had to knock on neighbors doors back home. Nowhere is perfect.

Sorry mate, it begs the question......what was he hammering, and did it involve a hammer or not?whistling.gif

• Like 2

Think of it like a Mac, there is no multitasking skillset whistling.gif ; i.e.- when they shout, their 'brain' is wholly focused on that thing and thus they could not possibly comprehend anyone being upset, because there is no comprehension. Loud bikes & such is clearly a case of small willy syndrome and omnipresent the world over.

• Like 2

Yes it is funny. Of course, I don't recall any of these things happening back in Farangland. blink.png

Yep, stayed in a place at home once where a guy was hammering at 4am! I have had to knock on neighbors doors back home. Nowhere is perfect.

Sorry mate, it begs the question......what was he hammering, and did it involve a hammer or not?whistling.gif

Sadly I think he was on something, opened the door with the hammer in his hand, sadly the discussion wasn't very amicable so I never did find out what he was doing, all that mattered was he stopoed. The other kind of hammering wouldn'thave upset me so much as I understand the need.

A lot of Thais associate excess with quality. The louder the better, the wider the wheels the better even on a Yaris, the more gold on one hand etc.

They often yell at each other from a distance because they can't be bothered walking

Sent from my GT-S7270 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

and don't forget...even if you like it loud the drive the amplifier and speaker at 100 % more than they can.

The sound is complete broken, and I am not an artist classic listener, I am a rough technician...but the loud music sounds so bad that there is no help at all....

• Like 2

Last week was the 100 day celebration for the old lady that died at the house across the street, only neighbor nearby. They were playing the music so loud that it rattled my teeth. And, during the blasting, I get yelled at for having the TV volume too loud!

• Like 2

Last week was the 100 day celebration for the old lady that died at the house across the street, only neighbor nearby. They were playing the music so loud that it rattled my teeth. And, during the blasting, I get yelled at for having the TV volume too loud!

Deservedly so, you inconsiderate sod. :)

These are only the low so and it is exactly the same everywhere in the world !

Not in my experience. Try going to one of those many festive events anywhere in the country, organised in Central Festival for instance or by car dealers or charities, to which local soap opera stars and political figures are often invited - ear plugs strongly advised!

I recently went to a house warming party in central Thailand hosted by some of the more upscale members of my extended family (high profile jobs, house worth 5 million THB etc) - my brother and I had to move a good 20 metres away every time we wanted to have a conversation.

That noise thing, whilst not a serious issue, is an essential component of Thai society at all levels.

Regarding playing music extremely loud: when I was living at the Thai-Cambodian border 35 years ago I was giving an explanation for that. It was apparently a remnant from the days not everyone could afford a radio. Hence it was considered impolite, if you had a radio and your neighbor did not, to play it at a low volume. Cranking it up allowed your neighbor to also "enjoy" the music.

Maybe they are all STONE DEAF....add to that, TONE Deaf as well in many cases.

You are right about the Q-Tips that seem to get tossed all over the place, in car parks, along city streets etc., Filthy habit, probably "picked up" by watching the behavior of some of the Less Than Desirable foreign tourists.