$1,000 Euros stolen, thief confesses......then this.

puukao

I am pretty good friends with an owner of a Chiang Mai guesthouse. Unfortunately, I don't have the entire story. Therefore, I need the TV detectives to produce a logical conclusion.

1. tourists show up. guy in wife-beater shirt, shorts, likes to smoke. late 20's. female looked early 30's, smoker, loud. (can you tell i liked this couple?).

2. money stolen. tourists go crazy. i'm called and asked to look at the video tape. the camera angle was obviously moved by the cleaning lady.

3. cleaning lady confesses.

4. tourists increasingly mad, they go to the police back and forth.

5. cleaning lady fired.

6. tourists leave after a few days, but still obviously upset.

so what happened? my thai friend said, 'i don't know' when i asked if they got back all their 1,000 euros.

did the police take a cut? 20%? more?

i don't find it odd the tourists had 1,000 euros in their place. some found it odd.

my guess is they got back much less than 1,000 euros and also ruined about 4 days in CM. but hearing them yell and curse and smoke and complain and make everyone else feel uncomfortable.......ah, this is not how you handle yourself in a foreign country.

TV detectives......how did this end?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have had similar problems. Cleaning lady says all money is gone, police close the case and its the end of it.

May be if lucky and police could be bothered, she is charged, fined 500 baht and again case closed.

Lately staff stealing has become a regular occurrence and police does absolutely nothing about that.

Possibly more become aware of being able to walk away unpunished, hence the reason for theft being on the rise

• Like 1

The smoking,wife beater t shirt wearing tourist deserves to have the

1000 euros stolen (if they actually had it in first place),for been so stupid

in leaving the alleged cash in the room.

regards Worgeordie

PS, the police obviously kept the lot.

• Like 1

Not smart leaving the $ in the room, but they don't deserve to be robbed no matter how annoying you find them.

Agreed, however if you are careless with your valuables--money, camera, phone, passport, etc, you will be robbed sooner or later. It's best to accept the realities and be reasonably cautious.

That is just naive. Hotel staff probably very short of cash and hate their job. If you cant choose a room with a safe then dont leave any valuables. Simple. And dont walk around with 30000 bht equivalent in a town awash with atm's. Daft

Or th

Where exactly was the money stolen? The OP indicates theft was made possible by the maid moving the camera. That would mean the theft was not in the room, or that the room has a camera in it?

Or that the camera was in the hallway and it was moved so that there was no video evidence of someone entering the room.

Break....

I can't believe how many posters are blaming the guests for trusting that their belongings would be safe in their hotel room. If you have to worry about the hotel's own staff stealing things from the guestrooms then that establishment should be avoided at all costs.

• Like 1

Hotels are generally more secure. It always seems like sketchy people are claiming they had stuff stolen at guesthouses. Probably his girlfriend. I say that is way too much cash to carry in Thailand, unless you are on your way to the land office. Let me guess....NE corner area, inside the moat. Long live AEON, and Canadia Bank in Cambodia. Ladies at BKK Bank are always good for a few smiles, too.

surely it would have been the decent thing for the so-called management to have reimbursed the guests

A $1000-a-night hotel would never do that, so why would a 500 baht guest house? Oh, and there is normally an 'at your own risk' notice somewhere in the room too.

Moral of the story: Don't stay in cheap guesthouses and don't trust cleaning staff.

They have all sorts of tricks like take cameras/phones , etc. and put them somewhere like the back of the drawer so that if you forget them, they can take them, if you raise the alarm they can point it out.

Anybody daft enough to leave 1000 euros in a cheap room, and knowing a poorly paid cleaning crew will be coming around, is short on brain cells. Surely most wise travelers would not leave this kind of temptation available. The tourists most likely are on there first overseas trip and are naive to say the least. That's what happens when you leave your brains at the check in counter. Anyway, I think they have now learned a valuable lesson in protecting their valuables. There are many other tricks they will have to lean if they plan on traveling abroad in the future. This is just common sense. Good luck to them.