$1,000 Euros stolen, thief confesses......then this.

puukao

I probably shouldn't say this but I've been staying in the same place in Chiang Mai for the past twenty years. I always leave my camera and netbook either in plain view or in a drawer that the maid has access to. She dusts round it all and carries on to the next room...

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I probably shouldn't say this but I've been staying in the same place in Chiang Mai for the past twenty years. I always leave my camera and netbook either in plain view or in a drawer that the maid has access to. She dusts round it all and carries on to the next room...

Is the reason you think you shouldn't be saying this is because you shouldn't be doing it?

• Like 1

The only way to be certain that you won't be robbed is to refrain from wearing a wife beater and shorts, and smoking and being loud. That's known the world over.

When I check into a hotel guest house I always leave an empty wallet on the bed. Without fail someone feels sorry for me and stuffs it full of cash.

And I know why.. because you are such a fine dresser!!

The only way to be certain that you won't be robbed is to refrain from wearing a wife beater and shorts, and smoking and being loud. That's known the world over.

You might still get robbed, but if you refrain from wearing a wife beater and shorts, smoking and being loud, at least someone might feel sorry for you when you did.

• Like 2

When I check into a hotel guest house I always leave an empty wallet on the bed. Without fail someone feels sorry for me and stuffs it full of cash.

I think the only way to be certain you are never robbed is to kick the bucket.

I think the only way to be certain you are never robbed is to kick the bucket.

No, still you will be robbed...you just don't know about it..sad.png

If money is not left in the room the temptation is not there.

Nice job blaming the victim. I guess it's also their fault they earned a thousand euros and saved it for a vacation. Yes, you're right, that maid was entitled to it because they are so stupid!

• Like 2

Of course it matters what they looked like. one, it adds color to the story. two, wake up and realize how the world works. druggies, fatties, old people, etc... are of course going to be treated differently. same with race. next time a guy shows up to your room with 100 face tattoos, i'm sure you will think the same as if it was jesus himself. whatever. go hug a smoker who disrespects the dress code of thailand!! haha.

the cleaning lady moved the camera, used her key, and got some cash.......and these smoking tourists were likely not very nice to the staff before it happened. yes, this makes them more likely to be a victim. blah, blah, nobody deserves to get robbed, but it happened and these tourists should have done more. 1. been more nice. 2. took their money with them. i don't trust any place in thailand. or most other countries. so, use common sense.

So you assume people are of certain types and have certain traits according to their race and you treat them accordingly. And have you ever heard the saying; appearances can be deceptive?

I am also making assumptions, one is that you are the owner of this minus zero star guesthouse. It appears that the thief has better principles than you, because at least she admitted who and what she is.

You have attitude pal, full of your own importance and arrogant. Go and tell your tale regarding your so-called low life guests up a mountain, because no one agrees with you or is interested.

• Like 2

Camera and netbook (giggle.gif)? She probably feels sorry for you. Try leaving an iPhone and tablet and see what happens. whistling.gif

Yes she probably would want another of both.

surely it would have been the decent thing for the so-called management to have reimbursed the guests

A $1000-a-night hotel would never do that, so why would a 500 baht guest house? Oh, and there is normally an 'at your own risk' notice somewhere in the room too.

I think you'll find that, if it was proved to be a hotel employee, and the police had been involved, confirmed the amount, and the employee fired, that the hotel would have compensated the victims (if they didn't have travel insurance).

A different matter for a theft from the room where it was a non-employee, or possibly where they think the reported amount has been "padded".

Did your friend check the maid's references? As moving the camera prior to taking the money would suggest it wasn't an impulse theft. That might also suggest she may have stolen previously...

surely it would have been the decent thing for the so-called management to have reimbursed the guests

A $1000-a-night hotel would never do that, so why would a 500 baht guest house? Oh, and there is normally an 'at your own risk' notice somewhere in the room too.

I think you'll find that, if it was proved to be a hotel employee, and the police had been involved, confirmed the amount, and the employee fired, that the hotel would have compensated the victims (if they didn't have travel insurance).

That would depend on the exact circumstances - it's highly unlikely they would just hand over 1,000 Euros from the till... a few free nights is more likely.

But in this case nothing was proved, not least the exact amount...

Hotels have those signs for a reason.

A different matter for a theft from the room where it was a non-employee, or possibly where they think the reported amount has been "padded".

Did your friend check the maid's references? As moving the camera prior to taking the money would suggest it wasn't an impulse theft. That might also suggest she may have stolen previously...

Not my friend I'm afraid.

Of course it matters what they looked like. one, it adds color to the story. two, wake up and realize how the world works. druggies, fatties, old people, etc... are of course going to be treated differently. same with race. next time a guy shows up to your room with 100 face tattoos, i'm sure you will think the same as if it was jesus himself. whatever. go hug a smoker who disrespects the dress code of thailand!! haha.

the cleaning lady moved the camera, used her key, and got some cash.......and these smoking tourists were likely not very nice to the staff before it happened. yes, this makes them more likely to be a victim. blah, blah, nobody deserves to get robbed, but it happened and these tourists should have done more. 1. been more nice. 2. took their money with them. i don't trust any place in thailand. or most other countries. so, use common sense.

So you assume people are of certain types and have certain traits according to their race and you treat them accordingly. And have you ever heard the saying; appearances can be deceptive?

I am also making assumptions, one is that you are the owner of this minus zero star guesthouse. It appears that the thief has better principles than you, because at least she admitted who and what she is.

You have attitude pal, full of your own importance and arrogant. Go and tell your tale regarding your so-called low life guests up a mountain, because no one agrees with you or is interested.

This is Thailand we are talking about.

Thai culture is extremely judgmental and superficial when it comes to personal appearance.

Something like a piece of gold or type of trousers can cause a major difference in how a Thai person reacts to a person.

Definitely in a western country it's PC to not to judge a book by it's cover.

Thailand is definitely no western country.

• Like 1

The victim was a Chang vest wearer who chain smoked and spoke loudly. A very distasteful example of the human race who deserved whatever misfortune came his way.

As the cleaning lady was searching through his room, she maybe would have backed off had she found a dirty soiled pair of undies in his bag.

post-157796-0-97789400-1387289909_thumb.

• Like 1

This story actually happened. And you clowns, just relax, I'm half-joking all the time and i'm not sure why some are so quick to get all bent out of shape.

back to the story!!! So I figure the cop says, "well, we got the thief, will fine, and give us your address and we will send you any money we recover." lol

hold on, smoke break. ok, back. it's a joke. you guys just need to do some buddah deep-breathing exercises.

coffee1.gif

LOS

Is the reason you think you shouldn't be saying this is because you shouldn't be doing it?

No because the next time I stay she'll probably run off with all my worldly goods...

Camera and netbook (giggle.gif)? She probably feels sorry for you. Try leaving an iPhone and tablet and see what happens. whistling.gif

This is the camera... tongue.png

pentax_zps8f579bbd.jpg

The smoking,wife beater t shirt wearing tourist deserves to have the

1000 euros stolen (if they actually had it in first place),for been so stupid

in leaving the alleged cash in the room.

regards Worgeordie

PS, the police obviously kept the lot.

I'll bite, what's a wife beater T shirt?

They sound like naive travelers who unfortunately just learned the hard way that they can't trust anyone, anywhere.

When you have a country that is sold on smiles and kind people, it's easy to trust them. Little do they know many maids could just as well slit their throats for 100b, and do so with a smile.

Thai culture is extremely superficial...

You nailed it.

What a cynical and shallow view of Thai culture. I hope that this opinion will moderate over time. The more I get to know (and work to truly understand) Thais the more I like them. Some are indeed shallow, just as I know shallow people where I come from, but I don't base my opinion of them on the actions of the worst. Thais don't have a corner on the market for stealing and lying.