Dont do CBA withdrawals in LOS- rip off

The Commonwealth Bank of Australia is a company that scams its loyal customers and I would recommend that you do not use your ATM card here in Thailand.

I did two 10,000 baht withdrawals one with CBA card and one with ATM within a few days of each other and the commonwealth bank hit me with a $15 fee and a crap rate whilst ANZ was only a $5 fee with a better exchange rate.

I used the CBA card in Indonesia a few months ago at an actual CBA atm machine which they have in Bali. In this situation they only charged a $2 fee but the rate was really bad.

Its a greedy bank seeking to maximise shareholders profits rather than looking after the best interests of its customers. I will be closing my cba accounts the next time I return to the nanny state.

If your an australian how do you access your cash from oz. What bank do you use?

I use a Citibank debit card which doesn't seem to have a mark-up on the stock Visa forex rate and adds no fees (only the Thai bank's fee, if you don't go to an Aeon ATM or, presumably, a Citibank ATM). I also have used a GE 28 degrees card as a debit card, but GE Finance will soon commence charging a 4% commission on every cash advance, regardless of whether my savings are being used as the funding source or not, so this card will only be good for purchases in future.

I have Commonwealth and ANZ cards which I have never used in a foreign ATM, and which I have never used for purchases either. They both offer uncompetitive rates.

I wouldn't hold up ANZ as a great place to deal with when it comes to foreign exchange. I recently attempted to transfer $US360 to the US. It cost me $A438, and unfortunately the receiving bank couldn't match the account name and number and returned it. $438 went out of my account and $315 came back in. So far I've paid $123, and not a cent has gone into anyone's hands apart from those of greedy bankers.

Paypal and Western Union seem like generous benefactors compared to any of the big four Australian banks.

• Like 1

Initially, I thought the banks reserved their nastiest fees for purchases made with credit cards, but I believe they are being hit by one of the big boys each time any currency conversion takes place and are passing that on along with a little 'taste' of their own: all up, the transactions I've looked at seem to come in somewhere in the 4-5% range but I dont have a record of the Mastercard exchange rate at the time of the transaction. The reality - whether you exchange notes or withdraw money from an ATM - is that someone wants to make money on the exchange. When I look at the pathetic rates offered by the likes of Travelex and Western Union, suddenly the banks dont seem so bad.

https://www.commbank.com.au/personal/credit-cards/card-fees-charges.html

International Transaction5 :

• Transactions converted by MasterCard® or Visa (5): 3.00%
  • Transactions converted by American Express® (5) : 2.00%
  • Transactions overseas but in Australian dollars(6): 2.00%

In addition, American Express transactions are also subject to a 1.50% American Express currency conversion factor which is included in the converted transaction amount. Click here for standard fees and charges brochure.