My Changing Preconceptions on "Real" Thai People

GAZZPA

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a freaking bore. The way OP writes as if there aren't any materialistic people from the west when it's the west that built capitalism and all the material trappings. Remember charging an arm and a leg for a bag all because it has a logo called "prada" on it or "lois vuitton" all of this came from the west and western ppl buy them and so do ppl from other countries rather than a similar bag from a flea market.

I find it rather silly and presumptous of OP to make such statements like thai ppl worship rich people what about the sports ppl like david beckham or kobe? What about rock stars and singer? These ppl are worshipping by millions of common sheep in the west.

I'll give it though that western ppl have a way of making everything seem more noble even though they behave exactly the same way as ppl in thailand.

Let's take a person donald trump. Rich guy behaves just like every rich guy the world over. Has women and knows how to control his underlings etc. Yet i am willing to bet ppl here think donald trump somehow is a more "noble" or a better person than a rich hi so thai person similar to him all because trump is a western guy.

Sounds really stupid but that's how people like you think.

U know the OP ?

• Like 2

Seems like you are the one posting the "Furious post/rants" please point to the part of my post where I "berated" the OP, I was agreeing with his assessment of the person in question, and stated I knew many of such people.

It seems like you have a problem with people that find Thai's to be no different then other people all around the world, but much more accepting, get use to it there are a lot of great caring people among the Thai population!

From the chap above to the chap below!

Cheers

What a freaking bore. The way OP writes as if there aren't any materialistic people from the west when it's the west that built capitalism and all the material trappings. Remember charging an arm and a leg for a bag all because it has a logo called "prada" on it or "lois vuitton" all of this came from the west and western ppl buy them and so do ppl from other countries rather than a similar bag from a flea market.

I find it rather silly and presumptous of OP to make such statements like thai ppl worship rich people what about the sports ppl like david beckham or kobe? What about rock stars and singer? These ppl are worshipping by millions of common sheep in the west.

I'll give it though that western ppl have a way of making everything seem more noble even though they behave exactly the same way as ppl in thailand.

Let's take a person donald trump. Rich guy behaves just like every rich guy the world over. Has women and knows how to control his underlings etc. Yet i am willing to bet ppl here think donald trump somehow is a more "noble" or a better person than a rich hi so thai person similar to him all because trump is a western guy.

I think the bags with the "Lois Vuitton" logo on them are probably from Patpong and made in Thailand!thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

I'd say you've been more misled by the popular 'expat' myth that; 'Hi-So is better than all" as many pretend or yearn to have Hi-So friends, wives or Girlfriends.

Why do you think there is such an obsession on this forum with the "background" of wives and Girlfriends....?

Fair play to your pal. Sounds like a diamond.

I'm just waiting for the furious posts/rants here from the "FaLanging" apologists berating you for making negative assumptions about the Thais like the chaps above...How dare you suggest they are materialistic....they'll cry without providing a decent counter argument bar spurious comparisons with the West....

You don't have a Hi-So wife OR girlfriend?w00t.gif

Mods please remove this filthy urchin from the forum forthwith,give him a damn good thrashing for his cheek out the back by the bins while you're at it as well,the guttersnipe!

Has Lois Vuitton had a sex change lately?

• Like 1

Yaaaaaawwwwnn.... you need a gf...

I love it!!!!....OP writes a nice story about a decent human being.....and the TV snakes come out to find some fault....

I'm new to TV but it appears there are many bitter, unhappy "farangs" in Thailand (and on TV)....Too bad!!!! ...I'm one of the happy ones who has met many decent Thai's (and rotten ones)...but that is nothing different than the rest of the world.

Good Post

thumbsup.gif

Thanks for saying what was on my mind, though "snake" is too tame a word for me.

I've known Peace for around 4 years and he is everything the OP says. His two young adopted daugthers are adorable. And he lives in Pattaya, so many farang in this tourist trap may have the pleasure of meeting him one day.

Do you really, what a small world. Glad you see what I see, his girls are lovely.

Great post. Thanks for that. I have met so many kind people here. Generally, most of the people I encounter here are kind, helpful, very cheerful, and just pleasant to be around. Beats the hell out of California, I can tell you that. By contrast most people back there are sour, bitter, unfriendly, unhelpful, and seem put out when talked to by a stranger. Many Thais seem to be very helpful to each other. This post does not surprise me at all. I love being here. Many of us do. Generalizations are for the simple minded. Negative stereotypes are meant as general guidelines, but often times are wrong. Most Thais have many very impressive qualities.

• Like 2

Even though it's sure that there's more people good hearted like Peace,

it's a great story non the less.

Thanks for the share.

Nice to see people noticing and recognizing the few which are outstanding individuals such as this man.

Indeed a rise above above general population.

I have met some super HiSo Thai's in Bangkok,

who were extremely generous in their hospitality,

and manners towards me.

Which I will cherish the memory for my remaining days.

For them and the likes of Peace,

I'm so happy I made the move to remain here for all these years.

Though times have been confusing within Thailand,

it's that confusion that makes Thailand so appealing,

and challenging,

but worth the effort to be a long time resident,

within this country.

I happy to raise our children,

and call our home; Thailand.

Thailand has given me so much in culture,

and in relationships, which has altered my life for the better.

I couldn't of gotten this same experience in the States,

nor had the time to enjoy it.

I don't post very often but having read your post, my opinion is that you are a very sad and bitter person that you cannot take a really nice post about one of the many, many lovely Thai people without spewing your bitterness all over it. Not only ARE there many wonderful Thai people, some of us actually marry one too. Get out and into the real Thailand and maybe things will become clearer and your life less bitter.

• Like 1