How best to start off living in Thailand

Hello,

I would like to stay in Chang Mai for a few months with a view to staying longer. I hope to apply for the long-stay "O-A" visa. The application forms require details of the proposed address in Thailand and also the name of a person in Thailand (I assume for that address).

I have tried to decide on the correct way of arranging the accommodation aspect but is a little confusing.

Would I be right that in order to comply with the visa application form, it is not possible to just go to a hostel while I sort out renting a flat.

Instead, I assume that I would need to book a hotel for a week or two weeks in order to have a proper address and contact details for that address, that the visa application forms require.

After that time, I could find a hostel if necessary, in order to allow me the time needed for looking to rent a flat.

It does not really seem practicable to arrange renting a flat (condo) for a reasonable price, until I arrive in Thailand, as only the local market would have the local pricing.

I would appreciate some advice on whether all this is correct.

Alternatively, what would be the more appropriate way forward for arranging a place to live.

Regards,

Robert333.

You should hope that a mod will move this to the "Thai visas, residency and work permits" section where there are some real experts who will give you some options, and they will be correct.

In a (traveling) way he posted in the right sub-forum.smile.png

To move or not to move? Pistols at high noon!

Since you have chosen Chiang Mai already, don't you know someone there whose name and address that you could use?

If not pick a hotel from the internet and put the address, don't make a reservation and either put "self" or your name in the space for the name for the person in Thailand. OR PM me and I'll give you my name and address. It's not in Chiang Mai, but it doesn't really matter!

Edited by wayned
  • Like 1

You did not state your nationality, age, where you are starting from nor experience in Thailand; this would have a lot to do with the advice received.

Where you stay is less relevant than can you fulfill the income and other requirements for long term stay.

If you check into a hotel - the hotel will alert immigration as to your whereabouts and I believe the same applies if you rent a serviced apt. (Others have told you how to fill form.) Stay at a hotel and then shop for a serviced apt or condo, read all you can on TV concerning what not to do and how you can be scammed.

Research... research... arrive prepared for eventualities. ("That which you are prepared for seldom happens." _Unknown quote.)

There may be easier ways and you will get good advice from the experts (I'm not one) if you are more specific with questions.

Edited by IBoldnewguy

For address, just put the name/address of wherever you are temporarily staying (or plan to stay). For person in Thailand, put "self". Worked for me.

Worked for me also when I applied for a Long Stay Visa (O-A) through The Royal Thai Embassy/Counsulate-General In Los Angeles.

Thru the Thai community in my area of California I met a Thai who offered her parents' home in Bangkok with meals for 10,000 baht. I would rather it had been Chiang Mai, being hosted was more important. In 3 months I got my "thai legs" and felt comfortable on my own. My first job teaching further helped with the transition. Thais and farang both were helpful. I don't know that my particular type of visa played that much a role I don't know how the visa forum is going to help you. Network is your best resource. Good luck; live well.

• Like 1

Chiang Mai has a good office that will Assist you with applying for a Thai Visa. I think they charge 6,000 baht but all the info you require is on their website

There is no need , ever, to pay some dodgy "office " for a "visa" .

Visas and extensions of stay are easily obtained

Anyone wishing for help/advise just needs to ask here and the advice is free! smile.png

• Like 2

Dear OP,

You could apply at a Thai consulate in your country of origin and it would make it a little bit easier by not having visa issues in the beginning.

. Just a thought, not that difficult to receive a Non-O multiple visa. Leaving the country after 90 days isn't a big deal at all.

Good luck with all!-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai

Chiang Mai has a good office that will Assist you with applying for a Thai Visa. I think they charge 6,000 baht but all the info you require is on their website

There is no need , ever, to pay some dodgy "office " for a "visa" .

Visas and extensions of stay are easily obtained

Anyone wishing for help/advise just needs to ask here and the advice is free! smile.png

That's obviously true. I've met people who gave their passports to agencies to make a "visa run" and they never got them back.

Too many agencies with full service. There are too many dodgy agencies all over the country. Easy to look it up online.-wai2.gif

For address, just put the name/address of wherever you are temporarily staying (or plan to stay). For person in Thailand, put "self". Worked for me.

Worked for me also when I applied for a Long Stay Visa (O-A) through The Royal Thai Embassy/Counsulate-General In Los Angeles.

Same place I got mine. Much easier process than I had expected. thumbsup.gif

Hello,

I would just like to thank everyone who responded for their helpful responses.

My question was really about how to supply the address in Thailand that is required by the Visa application forms.

I would not have thought it easy to discover the address of a hostel in advance of going to Thailand, and so I concluded that initially it seems necessary to book a hotel.

By the way, how do you edit your message when you post it here. I notice that poster Sirchai has edited their post (the one of 17.12.2013, 16.36), but I cannot find any button for editing mine.

Edit:

Now I have found the "Edit" button. It was invisible previously.

Now it is present but much fainter than the other buttons, yet it works!

Regards,

Robert333.

Edited by Robert333

Be careful when you book hotels. Nice pictures on the Internet, but the reality can be painful and location not practical at all....and that it is very important if you will be new in town.

Luxury hotels...Tamarindo and Shangrila....probably over $100/day....

If you budget for hotel is not more than $50/day ..AMORA HOTEL may be a good for you. Very good location and service. High rise building with nice city views. Under $40/day rarely will include breakfast. Good breakfast outside will cost about $5.

If you budget is under $30/day...look at THESKHOUSE...Same hotel in BK.

And ask for pick up at the airport...not many hotels offers that.

Have a good trip. Be safe.

Hello,

My question was really about how to supply the address in Thailand that is required by the Visa application forms.

I would not have thought it easy to discover the address of a hostel in advance of going to Thailand, and so I concluded that initially it seems necessary to book a hotel.

By the way, how do you edit your message when you post it here. I notice that poster Sirchai has edited their post (the one of 17.12.2013, 16.36), but I cannot find any button for editing mine.

Edit:

Regards,

Robert333.

Hi Robert,

Chiang Mai is a good choice.

IMHO a first step possibility re accommodation is a hotel. I drive past a 3+ star hotel several times every day. I've never been inside but it looks pretty good from the outside. They often have a banner outside advertising 'boutique apartments' within the same property starting at around 5,000Baht per month. Whether that includes electricity, breakfast etc., I don't know. There are many local small / medium restaurants, coffee shops etc., nearby.

If you want I'll stop there and get a card or brochure and scan it and e-mail it to you.

Also, if you need some transport to get started, my family use a local tuk tuk man when we need extra transport. He's reliable and speaks intermediate level English, always friendly and helpful and no tricks. And he's very approachable for a bulk rate - say 10 trips anywhere for xxxxBaht, or xxxxBaht for a month, maximum of xxx trips anywhere in the greater Chiang Mai area, or similar. He's not available all day every day because he has regular trips to take kids to school etc., but he's very willing to fit other work in as agreed.

Hello,

Edit:

Regards,

Robert333.

An address for you

Top North Guest House, Moonmuang Soy 2, Chiang Mai

If you use it, rooms are 300bht-600bht (fan-aircon) and it has a nice swimming pool, centrally located.

PS

Only tourists use tuk tuks (and total noobs), expensive and uncomfortable.

Edited by FiftyTwo