How to Claim Thai Citizenship from Ancestry

Hello,

I was born in Hong Kong to a Thai mother, and I understand that under the Thai Nationality Act I am considered to be a Thai citizen and can acquire a Thai Passport. I am 37 years old and hold a Hong Kong passport.

I will be visiting Bangkok in January for a few days and would like to go ahead and acquire my Thai passport. Does anyone know how exactly I can proceed? i.e. Where to go, what documents to bring, etc.

My mother would be able to accompany me and translate (as I do not speak Thai), as well as substantiate her Thai citizenship.

I have searched this forum under terms like "Thai Citizenship by Descent" and found this: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/392010-thai-citizenship-by-descent/ -- but there are no clear instructions on where to go, what to bring, etc.

I imagine that the appropriate information might be found on the Thai government official websites, but I have been searching all day and have not turned up anything concrete other than this forum...

Would really appreciate any advice you all can give! Thank you in advance.

As you were born in Hong Kong and you apparently never got your birth recorded in Thailand at a district office (amphoe), nor got yourself listed on a house registration book (tabian baan) and obtained a Thai ID card, a few days in Bangkok will probably not be sufficient to get your Thai passport in Thailand.

Seeing that you live in Hong Kong, a more convenient way will be to get your Thai passport from the consular section of the Thai embassy in Hong Kong. Go there with your Hong Kong birth certificate to get a Thai birth certificate and apply for your Thai passport at the same time. If they need any additional documents. eg evidence of your mother's Thai nationality, they will tell you.

• Like 1

To be clear - you are a Thai citizen by birth. All you need to do is get proof of this.

Given you were born in Hong Kong, only the Thai consulate in Hong Kong has the authority to issue you with a Thai birth certificate which will also denote your citizenship as 'Thai' on it. You'll need to contact the consulate as to what evidence they specifically require, but it will be evidence proving that one of your parents is a Thai citizen.

Generally at the same time, the consulate will allow you to apply for a Thai passport on which you can use to enter Thailand.

Once in Thailand, if you are looking to live there long term, you should get on a relatives house register and get an ID card.

• Like 1

I have a related question if I may. Does anyone know if there's a limit to the number of generations not born in Thailand which are still entitled to the citizenship? Some countries limit this. For example, if the OP's child is born in HK can the child still obtain Thai citizenship? And their child? Ad inifinitum?

I have a related question if I may. Does anyone know if there's a limit to the number of generations not born in Thailand which are still entitled to the citizenship? Some countries limit this. For example, if the OP's child is born in HK can the child still obtain Thai citizenship? And their child? Ad inifinitum?

As long as there is proof of each generations Thai nationality there would be no problem.

My sons all reclaimed Thai citizenship. The ones born in other countries than Thailand had to get Thai birth certificates from the Thailand Embassy in the country of birth. They then applied for passports, making their Thai citizenship formal. Their kids then followed the same process and received Thai passports based on their dad's citizenship. Should they in turn have kids, the same process can be followed unless Thai law changes. Grandkids are all dual citizens.

The sad part of all this is the parents not registering the birth of their child at the nearest Thai embassy or consulate shortly after birth. I don't know if it is from not knowing about it or just neglect. It is an easy process to do so why did they not do it.

• Like 1

The sad part of all this is the parents not registering the birth of their child at the nearest Thai embassy or consulate shortly after birth. I don't know if it is from not knowing about it or just neglect. It is an easy process to do so why did they not do it.

Right of Citizenship "Jus Sanguinis" is a concept best known to those with a good education,"knowledge is power". It's common for European immigrants to Latin America to not have done that at the time their childrens were born, and for the descendants to have to run to repairs 30, 60, or even 100 years after their ancestor left homecountry. Notably, they do that more in times of crisis. Don't blame the individuals, they where too busy dealing with their lifes and may not have felt any attachment to the country that they had to leave for one reason or another.

I wonder how many generations claiming a passport via ancestors would go back from Wales?

That was answered before - no limit in Wales, New Caledonia or anywhere else.

Thai citizenship is one of the few remaining which go by blood rather than the habital residence of the parent.

The UK allows one generation being born outside the UK but the grandchildren also born outside get nothing, unless they were born in a Commonwealth country in which case they get a 4 year ancestory visa which can then be converted into ILR and eventualy citizenship.

Australia does not allow an Australian by descent (ie born outside of Australia to an Australian citizen) to pass along Australian citizenship to their overseas born children. The exception to this rule is if that that overseas born Australian live in OZ for 2 years at some point in their life. If the child is born in Australia, the child is automatically an Australian citizen.

NZ is similar to Australia, however they require 5 years residence in NZ by the citizen by descent before they are eligble to pass on citizenship to their kids who happen to be born outside of NZ.

I wonder how many generations claiming a passport via ancestors would go back from Wales?

Thai citizenship is one of the few remaining which go by blood rather than the habital residence of the parent.

The UK allows one generation being born outside the UK but the grandchildren also born outside get nothing, unless they were born in a Commonwealth country in which case they get a 4 year ancestory visa which can then be converted into ILR and eventualy citizenship.

Australia does not allow an Australian by descent (ie born outside of Australia to an Australian citizen) to pass along Australian citizenship to their overseas born children. The exception to this rule is if that that overseas born Australian live in OZ for 2 years at some point in their life. If the child is born in Australia, the child is automatically an Australian citizen.

NZ is similar to Australia, however they require 5 years residence in NZ by the citizen by descent before they are eligble to pass on citizenship to their kids who happen to be born outside of NZ.

Funny...I have one of them that got it.

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/learn/law-and-policy/legis_changes/descent.htm/

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/learn/law-and-policy/legis_changes/descent.htm/

So what is the relevance of the lnk?

Your statement says an overseas born child whose parent is Australian, cannot get australian citizenship by descent right...unless it is late and I am cross eyed again.

But yet I have one that is upstairs in her bed asleep right now....cold hard proof.

I also read it different to how you have stated it...if the parent gained citizenship by descent themselves, that this parent must have lived in Oz for at least 2 years so that the child can then get citizenship if thye have then lived in Oz for 2 years.....but that is a different monster to dinky di australians....like me.

Edited by Showbags

The process may be different for each in attaining a Thai passport. For me I had to wait 3 months for the initial appointment to acquire the required National Thai ID card. I went to the district where I resided before living outside the country. They did some paperwork but only found that I was deleted from their system. I had to track down my birth certificate in the district where I was born. They found the certificate but I did not have a name at the time. To prove my identity, they had to find my parents last house registration record. With all the documents in place, I had to register my where I was living, a relative's address. One official also wanted my grandparent's house registration but a fire had destroyed all those records. Several signatures were needed. 2 of which were blood related relatives as witnesses of my true identity and 3 government officials. All 3 government officials had to interview me separately. Once my Thai ID was issued, then the passport was easy. It took 5 minutes to process and 3 days before picking up my Thai passport. Good luck...

• Like 1

I received my Thai citizenship a couple of years ago. If in Thailand, you should definitely get your original birth certificate translated and notarized into Thai. The onus is really on your Thai parent to prove that A) they are a Thai citizen via ID, registration etc. and B) that you are their child via marriage certificate, birth certificate.

Your statement says an overseas born child whose parent is Australian, cannot get australian citizenship by descent right...unless it is late and I am cross eyed again.

But yet I have one that is upstairs in her bed asleep right now....cold hard proof.

I also read it different to how you have stated it...if the parent gained citizenship by descent themselves, that this parent must have lived in Oz for at least 2 years so that the child can then get citizenship if thye have then lived in Oz for 2 years.....but that is a different monster to dinky di australians....like me.

Yeah, I think you need to re read things or I need to rewrite.

1) Australian born parent, overseas child gets Australian citizenship via descent

2) if that child subsequently has a child born overseas, the cannot pass Australian citizenship along, unless they have lived in Australia for a total of 2 years at some point in their lives.

You've just called yourself a 'dinky di' Aussie, which I assume denotes that you were born in australia, so of course you child will get Australian citizenship via descent. Same as my two, soon to be three, kids. But it is their kids ( your grand kids) which I'm talking about, won't get Australian citizenship if born overseas too and your child hasn't spent a total of two years in oz.

Edited by samran

Yeah, I think you need to re read things or I need to rewrite.

1) Australian born parent, overseas child gets Australian citizenship via descent

2) if that child subsequently has a child born overseas, the cannot pass Australian citizenship along, unless they have lived in Australia for a total of 2 years at some point in their lives.

You've just called yourself a 'dinky di' Aussie, which I assume denotes that you were born in australia, so of course you child will get Australian citizenship via descent. Same as my two, soon to be three, kids. But it is their kids ( your grand kids) which I'm talking about, won't get Australian citizenship if born overseas too and your child hasn't spent a total of two years in oz.

Thats clearer, but your message I highlighted did not say Australian by descent, as in the parent, just Australian...that was the mistook.

The UK allows one generation born outside the UK but children born overseas to crown servants working overseas (UK diplomats, service people) count as being born in the UK. The child of a one of these second class British citizens can be British if, either born in the UK or, if his overseas born British parent can show evidence of having lived in the UK for at least 3 years. But in the latter case they have to pay a registration fee of over 600 stg because they are not deemed British automatically at birth. This can also only be done as a minor. The only other way is petitioning the Home Secretary. My nephew successfully did this as a teeenager.

The UK allows one generation born outside the UK but children born overseas to crown servants working overseas (UK diplomats, service people) count as being born in the UK. The child of a one of these second class British citizens can be British if, either born in the UK or, if his overseas born British parent can show evidence of having lived in the UK for at least 3 years. But in the latter case they have to pay a registration fee of over 600 stg because they are not deemed British automatically at birth. This can also only be done as a minor. The only other way is petitioning the Home Secretary. My nephew successfully did this as a teeenager.

A "second class" British citizen ?

What exactly is one of those ?