Wild life in Samui

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was having my coffee outside Tesco near Chaweng police station when this little frog suddenly jumped out to check if the coast is clear. Apparently it wasn't, and it jumped back under wherever it came from.

post-17753-0-81485600-1395500705_thumb.j post-17753-0-37167600-1395500723_thumb.j post-17753-0-92888700-1395500743_thumb.j post-17753-0-76317300-1395500763_thumb.j

• 4 weeks later...

Spotted a BIG Barn owl yesterday across the street.

At dusk and only stayed half a minute before heading in to a tree where there's a bat colony.

Wife says it's a bad omen, if it makes a howl somebody is going to die.

Spotted a BIG Barn owl yesterday across the street.

At dusk and only stayed half a minute before heading in to a tree where there's a bat colony.

Wife says it's a bad omen, if it makes a howl somebody is going to die.

lol

I read that you need to disembowel a goat and spread the entrails around the property.... or was that a dream.

Snake under our beach chair at Maenam in March.

A bit hard to see what kind of snake it is, but i was in a bit of a hurry taking the photo and didn't want to get to close to it, because i had no idea if it was harmless or not biggrin.png

post-138525-0-80532600-1398054028_thumb.

I was having my coffee outside Tesco near Chaweng police station when this little frog suddenly jumped out to check if the coast is clear. Apparently it wasn't, and it jumped back under wherever it came from.

wouldn't call that wild life, there are millions everywhere, also in my bathroom and in my shoes on the terrace

wouldn't call that wild life, there are millions everywhere, also in my bathroom and in my shoes on the terrace

If you like to evaluate a photo, we have a special forum for that.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/128-evaluate-my-photo/ smile.png

Monkeys abound. Go to a beach resort near Tabkiab Hill but don't let any snack get out of your hand. The thieves are everywhere.

Thats South of Hua Hin and not really relative to Samui.

Green snakes in my experience are non poisonous and constrictors not venomous.

• 2 weeks later...

A troop of 30 -40 long tailed maqacues live in the hills Behind buddy beer in lamai also on Samui palm civets,mongoose, slow loris,pangolins, asian water monitors and Bengal monitors, many species of snakes although kraits and vipers seem to be absent from the island , many years ago there were mouse deer but I think they've been wiped out...the top 3 dangerous snakes on Samui are king cobra, monocle cobra and the reticulated python if it's not one of these snakes chances are it's not dangerous . As for squirrels there decline is due mainly to local people putting them in cages amazing how many thai homes have birds and squirrels in cages not to mention numerous other animals in cages. The snake farm just moved over the road and they did release a few snakes but they were all native species so no problem there it's certainly better than being in a cage in the snake farm. There is a shocking amount of wildlife exploitation in Samui as in the rest of the country and all of it is illegal it's a shame there are still so many ignorant tourists coming here and frequenting these disgraceful establishments better you spend your money on other things not perpetuating the illegal wildlife trade the only thing that can stop it is for people not to go...no one apart from certain government agencies are legally allowed to keep a tiger in Thailand and how many are in the tiger zoo ? Don't go to shows or have your photo taken with wildlife and don't buy any products that use animals.

Used to be many 'snake farms' on the island but people stopped going so when the owner (renter of land) did a runner the snakes we just released. 20 years ago there were practically zero cobras on the island because the coconut farmers had killed them off.

didn't know that. T h e old snake farm is still here in the South West and there is a second since a few years in Plai Laem/Choeng Mon area.

I did not know there was one in Plai Laem area! we do learn something new everyday! Anyone know where exactly?

The one in south west area (Thaling Ngam) has moved across the street...

But then I only discovered the other day where the Monkey farm is!... still looking for the Croc farm .... but not looking too hard! tongue.pngsmile.png

What a strange coincidence.

Last night I was just watching this BBC Documentary about Bees.

Then this morning when I open my apartment door, this was just outside.

In the documentary I saw they eat honey with comb and wax and was thinking how neat it'd be to eat that. If the apartment owners decides to keep it, I may get my wish soon.

post-17753-0-42276200-1400053340_thumb.j post-17753-0-31605300-1400053347_thumb.j post-17753-0-76771500-1400053355_thumb.j

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44X4EU4VjdM

In the documentary I saw they eat honey with comb and wax and was thinking how neat it'd be to eat that.

Tried that up in Chiang Dao.

The larva was still alive inside, strange but delicious.

Had to brush my teeth twice though, because of all the wax.biggrin.png

I was also told that the larva+wax+honey is very delicious.

Just don't get stung trying to get to the honey .... some of the bees here cause a nasty sting and swelling w00t.gif

Taste will vary to which flowers they use to collect from.... some Thai honey is very strong....bah.gif .... might suite you Mole.... but I know some I have had, I don't like! wink.png

I will ask the apartment owner what he intends to do with it. I'll try to negotiate to keep it. Will probably have to put up some kind of wood board to fence them off so they won't be disturbed when people walk past or during cleaning.

• 5 weeks later...

Found this fellow while walking on Bang Po beach this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-6PoQJEJAg

It was extreme low tide and windy & cloudy, not too hot, excellent weather to take a walk.

Walked from Fisherman's Village all the way to the beginning of Bang Po, some 15km.

post-17753-0-48300800-1402641787_thumb.j post-17753-0-68277000-1402641792_thumb.j post-17753-0-74929600-1402641798_thumb.j post-17753-0-11400500-1402641805_thumb.j post-17753-0-56058900-1402641810_thumb.j

Found this small fish swimming near sea urchin.

post-17753-0-04986400-1402641816_thumb.j post-17753-0-70780400-1402641820_thumb.j

Catch of the day.

Lots of people were out collecting shells and octopus.

Edited by Mole