Odd Reaction at Local Gym

bonobo

A new gym opened up along my route home from work, so I decided to stop by this evening to try it out. It is spacious, nicely equipped, and the aircon is running at full blast--all good things to me.

I got down on the bench to stretch, something I do with an empty Olympic bar, which these bars seemed to be. The bar felt awfully light, so I asked the attendant, and she told me they were 20 kg. OK, I loaded up what I thought was 100 kg, then proceeded to lift it more times than I have ever lifted 100kgs before in my life.

They have a scale on the gym floor, so after doing my sets, I weighed myself, then weighed myself holding the empty bar. The bar was 12.5 kg, or thereabouts, not 20 kg. I told the attendant that, and she said no, I was wrong, the bar was 20 kg. I motioned for her to come to me so she could see for herself, but she refused, saying I might think that if I want, but she would never believe me. The bar was 20 kg, no ifs, ands, of buts.

I was rather surprised by her reaction. Was this some sort of face thing? By refusing to see my proof, she should deny being wrong? She obviously wanted me to shut up as well so no one else could hear what I was saying, so I wondered if this was a marketing move, trying to convince patrons that they were lifting more than they could at other gyms (sort of like bowling alleys that groove their lanes).

The bar itself is no big deal. It has the same size as an Olympic bar, so it sits comfortably in my hands, and I can just add a few more weights to get to the amount I want to lift. But to refuse to admit the actual weight just seemed like and odd thing to me.

• Like 2

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps it is 20lbs...... I recall the bars were supposed to be that at the gym I used in the UK years ago...... the weights were all in lbs too.

20 KG would be a heavy bar.

Perhaps 20KG if you include the retaining collars?

People who are supposed to be in the know here do not like being questioned over their knowledge.

Their reaction can be perplexing sometimes, I doubt it is a gym con job, just her obstinance.

So if you could see for your own eyes how much the bar weighed and considering the tone of her voice and reluctance to discuss the matter further with you, why did you have to continue to pursue the matter? You know how most Thais hate to be seen wrong, especially in public but you chose to make an issue out of it.

After seeing how much the thing really weighed, that would have been enough for me. Just my take on it.

Well Bonobo would rather make love than war, but on this occasion he thought he'd just monkey around...bah.gif .

Likely opted for cheaper Chinese-cast bar, figuring no point in going for standard regulation.

And, right, why argue or attempt to prove a point? Shower water heater at my place (been here about a year) never hot, but now almost useless during this cold snap (Chiang Mai). I knew it would be pointless, but went ahead and got the "engineers" up to take a look. By the time they arrive the sun has been hitting the rooftop tank for some hours, so water almost makes it to lukewarm. They ask if I know how to turn the knob to *On*. *Yeah, thanks, see you later...*

In my experience an Olympic bar has usually been described as 10 kg, so would be reluctant to believe one could be 20 kg.

Anyhow, if you can knock out 100 kg bench reps so easy why are seeking advice from an asian female gym attendant? She's possibly never touched an Olympic bar.

An Olympic bar is 20 kg. In the US, we usually say it is 45 lbs.

I asked the attendant/trainer as she was walking by as I would think that if you work there, you should know the weights of the equipment.

And to clarify I didn't really pursue it. I naturally thought she would want to know as she is in the business of training others, but when she gave me the line and refused to look, I dropped the issue. It was her reaction that perplexed me.

In my experience an Olympic bar has usually been described as 10 kg, so would be reluctant to believe one could be 20 kg.

Anyhow, if you can knock out 100 kg bench reps so easy why are seeking advice from an asian female gym attendant? She's possibly never touched an Olympic bar.

An Olympic bar is 20 kg. In the US, we usually say it is 45 lbs.

I asked the attendant/trainer as she was walking by as I would think that if you work there, you should know the weights of the equipment.

And to clarify I didn't really pursue it. I naturally thought she would want to know as she is in the business of training others, but when she gave me the line and refused to look, I dropped the issue. It was her reaction that perplexed me.

The fact that their Olympic bar isn't really one and you were able to "lift it more times than I have ever lifted 100kgs before in my life", I would also doubt the actual weight of their weights. Maybe a whole bunch of shonky Chinese-made junk. Edited by NanLaew

A very interesting observation and certainly makes one think.

I have done weights, in the UK, USA and in Europe and used to be surprised by the amounts I could lift. I am wondering if this practise is worldwide and perhaps ways to make people believe that they are doing better than expected at the gyms and at keep fit training? Perhaps this has been happening for many years? Plus is also good for the gyms in gaining positive results for themselves. I wonder if certain competitions could also be fixed using these methods?

Maybe a long running scam finally exposed?

Edited by Beetlejuice