Christmas Turkey - Cooking and Stuffing

CharlieH

Couple of quick tips:

Use a meat thermometer to avoid over cooking the bird. Check temp at meatest part of the thigh 165F and its done. Getting this right is crucial, google for taking temp tips.

The breast meat will cook quicker then the rest of the bird so cover the breast with foil for 1/2 - 2/3 of the cooking time

Thaw the bird slowly in the fridge, could take 3 days

Add 15-20mins cooking time if you are using stuffing

• Like 1

Couple of quick tips:

Use a meat thermometer to avoid over cooking the bird. Check temp at meatest part of the thigh 165F and its done. Getting this right is crucial, google for taking temp tips.

The breast meat will cook quicker then the rest of the bird so cover the breast with foil for 1/2 - 2/3 of the cooking time

Butterball turkeys usually come complete with a temperature sensor and when this pops out of its housing the bird is done. Generally I always give the bird standing time in the oven for fifteen miniutes after switching off the heat.

• Like 1

I make an old fashioned Bread stuffing.

For your size turkey....guessing as I do NOT use a fixed recipe.

Two loaves of white bread lightly toasted and cut into about 1 inch squares.

A large stalk of celery finely chopped.

A large onion finely chopped.

A couple of tablespoons full of Sage.

I make a stock using the turkey neck, wing tips and pope's nose with celery, onion and sage. I moisten the stuffing with this until it will form a solid ball. Any stock left over goes into the gravy pan. I stuff my turkey tightly, immediately before sticking it in the oven. 350F until the Butterball sensor pops or until the legs move freely. I do not cover the breast as I like the crisp skin and do not mind the white meat being a bit dry. I do not use the giblets in my stuffing. They are saved for snacking later.

Oh yeah, I stuff the neck skin as well as the cavity. Pull the skin to cover the stuffing and keep it in place with toothpicks. I like stuffing! LOL

• Like 1

I'm a brine fan. Soak the bird in a water mix of salt, sugar, orange, lemon and bay leaves for 24 hours before roasting. Keeps the bird succulent no matter how badly you cook it!

Many brine recipes if you check out foodnetwork.com

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 2

I use my gass grill using indirect heat! I have a 4 burner, so I only light 2 on the right and place turkey, covered with foil on the other side. Cook at medium flame and turn everyone in a while so the flame side doesn't brown to much, usually around two hours, and remove foil to brown breast!

my stuffing I use one loaf of bread cur into inch or so cubes, a small to medium onion, celery, touch of Basil, Sage to taste, and poultry seasoning as well, add 2 eggs, and mix by hand and if a little dry add smal amouts of water, don't want it real wet. I forgot garlic salt. Any stuffing not covered with skin will brown a little but I like that part the best, and yes put any leftover mix in neck cavity. Just another way to try!

Hey CPT, don't apologize, this is the one forum on TV where people actually discuss and advise, as opposed to 'down with red shirts', 'kill the yellow shirts', 'is my gf a hooker' kinda of stuff.

Anyhoo, stuffing; my Mom always stuffed the bird. It extends cooking time by hours, and frankly I think you just end up with a soggy mess, which mainly gets leftover since nobody really eats it. I always cook the stuffing separately and rather stuff the cavity with a chopped onion, bay leaves and orange. Most ovens here (Tao Op's) are a lot smaller than a typical US oven, so I always loosely place some aluminum foil over the bird about half way through.

OK, off back to the 'Is my gf a hooker, dated a gik, stealing my money and supporting the red shirts' forum!

Eat Well

Edited by GinBoy2

Couple of quick tips:

Butterball turkeys usually come complete with a temperature sensor and when this pops out of its housing the bird is done. Generally I always give the bird standing time in the oven for fifteen minutes after switching off the heat.
You should have said when the butterball temperature sensor pops out the bird will be "over cooked". The butterball sensors pop at about 190 degrees F, the breast meat is done at about 155-165. Using the butterball sensor guarantees an over cooked and dry turkey.

I thaw my turkeys outside of the refrigerator overnight and then into a cooler with a little ice for two more days. About six hours before cooking take the turkey out of the cooler, take it out of the packaging a rinse in cold water, take out the giblets (hidden where the neck should be) and rub liberally with rock salt. before cooking rinse the salt off the bird and cook to 165-175 degrees F in the thigh, or 155-165 in the breast.

Cook the bird on a spit over hot coals, not gas, preferably in a Weber kettle grill. Use the giblets to make gravy and make stuffing , loaded wit oysters in the oven

We always cook our turkeys in the weber charcoal grill. The 22.5 inch diameter grill will fit a 19-20 lb bird. Can you buy Weber grills in Thailand?

Cook the bird on a spit over hot coals, not gas, preferably in a Weber kettle grill. Use the giblets to make gravy and make stuffing , loaded wit oysters in the oven

We always cook our turkeys in the weber charcoal grill. The 22.5 inch diameter grill will fit a 19-20 lb bird. Can you buy Weber grills in Thailand?

I've seen them for sale at Rimping supermarkets in Chiang Mai but haven't noticed them elsewhere.

I bought mine in Home Pro about 14 years ago. Fashioned the electric spit myself as I could not find the spit attachment here. No better way to barbeque! I also have a small one, "Smoky Joe" which is good for 1 or 2 steaks or chicken pieces.

Ace hardware stores have as well as The BBQ Store in Bangkok

I brined a turkey for the first time and it worked out well- tender and juicy. Let it sit overnight in a solution of 1/2 cup salt & 1/2 cup brown sugar per gallon throw in a few quartered oranges, lemons and whatever spices you fancy and stick in the fridge (actually mine was a 3/4s defrosted and I just left it in a big garbage bag in the sink) no problem. If can get one under 12lbs you can cook it in a standard toaster oven. Since there are those lovely little local Thai oysters available in plastic boxes throw a bunch in the stuffing- use their “liquor” and broth to moisten it. Generally you can put almost anything in stuffing and it will be good. This year it was raisins, apples, sausages and chestnuts to name a few.

Cook bird breast side down. All the juices flow down through the breast. Foil under breast shiny side down. Cover rest of bird later esp wings.

Stuff in neck area. Can also work stuffing over breast a little between skin and meat.

Put lemon, celery, onion, herbs, whatever you feel like inside body cavity.

Jib let's for basic stock. Deglaze pan and use stock for gravy.

Let bird rest before carving.

Remove legs and wings. Carve as best you can. If tendons have been removed it makes life much more simple.

To carve, verticle slices starting from outside of breast inwards. Cut vertically straight down to rib cage and work towards breast bone.

Where the legs meet the body on the underside you will discover the oysters. Possibly the best part of the bird.

• Like 2

wayned, on 22 Dec 2013 - 12:13, said:

I bought mine in Home Pro about 14 years ago. Fashioned the electric spit myself as I could not find the spit attachment here. No better way to barbeque! I also have a small one, "Smoky Joe" which is good for 1 or 2 steaks or chicken pieces.

Must have gone bad by now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have roasted a lot of big Turkeys over the years . I'm not sure about a butter ball turkey and yours is quite small .

I have found the best way to roast a turkey is upside down , overnight ( For Lunch )in a low temperature oven . I just turn it the right way up about

30mins. to 1hr before exiting the oven , to crisp the breast . This produces an evenly cooked bird with moist succulent breast meat . Let it stand a while before serving .

I prefer a sage , parsley and lemon stuffing , 1/2lb breadcrumbs ,1/4lb suit ,grated rind and juice 1/2 lemon , a bunch of parsley finely chopped ,Sage by eye , 1 beaten egg , a little milk . Chestnut Stuffing ,1lb chestnuts mashed or sieved ,1/2 pint stock or milk ,2oz ham/bacon finely chopped , 4oz breadcrumbs , 1oz butter ,pinch salt , sprinkle of black pepper ,1tsp sugar or to taste , 1 beaten egg . Stuffing one in the main cavity , Chestnut the neck end . Stuffings can be made separately and baked in covered containers or wrapped in aluminium foil . Simmer the chestnut in the stock or milk before mashing .

If you are fortunate to have two ovens , having the turkey in one oven , leaved the other free to be hot for crispy roast potatoes .

Are we dreaming , I haven't seen a turkey for sale , even at Makro , where I was browsing the other day . Personally I prefer a big rolled

fore ribs of beef for Christmas dinner . Here in Thailand , my wife and I don't bother with Christmas at all , we have a big family barbecue at New Year .

• Like 1

A steel 55 gallon drum cut in half lengthwise works just as well!

You can make a morotised spit or a hand operated spit to rotate the bird.

You can find some good hardwood to use or buy some charcoal almost

anywhere.

Lot of tips say to boil it first for around 3 quarters of an hour, dry it out, rub salt and olive oil over the skin, punch fork holes around the skin and roast it 180c 1.5. To 2hrs, take out push sharp knife down into the flesh to see if bloody juice comes out if so roast more, if skin is not nice and brown turn the heat up and roast more time you get a nice colour.

Many people use bacon strips to put onto Turkey or chicken breast which eventually go very crispy and brown when the bird is cooked, don't discard this crispy bacon,crumble up and sprinkle over the roasting potatoes, they are really tasty, my family fight over the bits left in the roasting pan.

Good cooking everyone and Merry Christmas to all.

I remove the legs, bone them. Take off the bottom bony bits of the turkey and the wings; the crown (double breast) then only requires 4 hours cooking. The legs, I bone the thigh and cut the leg bone half way down. I then take all the cuttings of turkey and stuff the legs - tie the legs back to as near normal shape. I cook these legs the day before; (indeed, in the oven at the moment). I then pressure-cook the bones to give me a good stock for the gravy and also to keep for Boxing day soup. Stuffing, I use a sausage mix, with additional breadcrumbs and chopped up onion, garlic and basil, form into a fat sausage shape in foil and cook off (did mine ages ago, in the freezer). I have 12 attending tomorrow, farangs and wives - good party. Roast potatoes, I peel and shape them - microwave, then deep fry - it's cheating, but it works.

Bought the same one as you.. Normally I would roast it in the traditional way but, on Thanksgiving my friend invited me to dinner and he cooked the whole Turkey on the BBQ. He did this with the lid down so basically he smoked it for about 4 hours, going back to baste quite a lot. It tasted great so I will be doing that this year.

If you decide to do this best not to stuff the Turkey, just cook the stuffing in the oven. My stuffing is sage and onion with breadcrumbs and sausage meat.

Merry Christmas to you and you family.

Stuffing turkeys is generally best avoided.

Don't particularly like turkey as it is bland and dry at the best of times. The few times I have had it after being stuffed I have not eaten more than a single mouthful. Rather have duck or goose.

Goose is a bit thin in the meat department for me. I'd stick with the duck. The dryness of Turkey can be fixed if one follows the advice of Jonathan Ross in his pamphlet entitled "How to keep your bird moist" .....thumbsup.gif

• Like 1