Corruption effecting my family

seajae

My wife manages the local office of a Bangkok business, it is all above board but the head of a local govt agency is now harrasing her to pay quite a large amount of money to him. They already have to pay 1.5% of their monthly sales to him(if they dont they cannot sell anything, cant explain or I give it away)and I regularly go with her as she has to take 100,000 baht plus in cash to him. He is now asking for 10% and my wife came home in tears last night because this arsehol_e verbally abused her and threatened her. She cannot go to the police as they are just as bad, bugger, cant say too much or I will give it away so I cant really state who the other people involved are but they are very high up. The company head office is talking to the govt dept in Bangkok trying to get this person moved so it can stop but they are not having much luck. If this was Australia I would have no hesitation in what I would do but here I dont have the contacts. I really need some help to work out what to do about it, the company cant afford to pay 10% and shouldnt have to, suggestions would be appreciated, there is only one thing I can think of and that just isnt the right solution, please pm me with genuine info if anyone knows what to do/who to contact. Thanks

I realize this is a hairy subject to raise here but I really dont know anyone I can contact about it. I can protect ny wife at home but not when she is at work.

Edited by seajae

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Easy answer and only costs 25k.

Thaksin knew how to solve the 'undesirable' problem.

it was the first thing I thought of but my wife would not accept it happening, cant go any higher locally as they are already on his side. I am trying to just go along normally but this is starting to get to me as well as I dont want anything to happen to my wife, his threats are serious. If I cant get any ideas on a legal way to do it then I will be left with a wrong one and I dont want that.

Have you thought about going to see him? Both of you go and have a chat, explain what the problem is, be really nice and ask for his guidance and help, might go against the grain but try the psychological tack first, put him in the decision seat etc his ego may win for you.

If it doesnt, you tried the right thing, then you have to consider alternatives, but that ball can bounce both ways so you need to be quick and decisive, dont talk about it and draw it out so he may hear of it, just get it done.

Edited by CharlieH
  • Like 1

What is the officers power to disrupt the business if she doesn't comply with the increased demand.

You know, if she gives the whole 10% ... it will never stop there ... maybe negotiate down to 2 1/2% ... easy to say of course ... but Thai respect a good negotiator.

• Like 1

Bangkok is several hundred kilometeres away, my wife is the local rep of the business and therefore the running of the company locally falls on her. If I could go into finer details here it would help but I cant, what I want(and my wife too) is for the head office to take over all payments so my wife is no longer responsible for them. I realize this is how thais do business but when it concerns the woman I love then it becomes my business, thanks for the answers, I will now see where we go from here but I will not back off if this person does not back away from threatening my wife.

If it's that that bad, time to get a new job. Give that corrupt a hole nothing more. If it was my wife coming home in tears regularly it's what probably would happen. Then you don't specify the line of work either....

Bangkok is several hundred kilometeres away, my wife is the local rep of the business and therefore the running of the company locally falls on her. If I could go into finer details here it would help but I cant, what I want(and my wife too) is for the head office to take over all payments so my wife is no longer responsible for them. I realize this is how thais do business but when it concerns the woman I love then it becomes my business, thanks for the answers, I will now see where we go from here but I will not back off if this person does not back away from threatening my wife.

Is this company something like an Amway or for the selling of products or services, perhaps even property speculators, earnings based on commission of sales? Is this company based on territory where they pay others to keep others off their turf? Certainly sounds like there are some undesirable elements involved here.

If as you claim your wife`s company is all above board and there are proper audited accounts and tax returns filed each year, then why is she paying someone working in a Government office tea money so she can continue doing a legitimate job or to be a part of a legitimate company? If all is proper and correct, than sorry, no way Hosay, not even in Thailand unless there is something shady going on and the so-called company have reasons for not wanting to fight this extortion.

Like the movie title: What`s it all about Alfie?

• Like 2

Easy answer and only costs 25k.

Thaksin knew how to solve the 'undesirable' problem.

it was the first thing I thought of but my wife would not accept it happening, cant go any higher locally as they are already on his side. I am trying to just go along normally but this is starting to get to me as well as I dont want anything to happen to my wife, his threats are serious. If I cant get any ideas on a legal way to do it then I will be left with a wrong one and I dont want that.

It is a "problem" for the Company !

Your wife presumably is an employee and therefor keeps the "company " informed.

She should stop being concerned, it is not her problem.

The above is the best answer, I stopped reading this thread after this reply

Your wife as an employee needs to kick this upstairs, if the principles of this company are happy with the "arrangement" your wife should not interfere.To them this might be just an other cost of doing business.

• Like 2

seajae, in what locale are we talking? You've obviously posted in the General forum to maintain a degree of anonymity unfortunately it doesn't assist as you well know we (TVF members) are spread all over.

Whilst there is some sound advice here to stay out of it, there's also the possibility of getting involved without getting involved and being the pesky farang interloper making the situation worse.

Feel free to flick me a PM if the above's too sensitive to openly discuss.

• Like 2

Does it directly affect your wife's income? If not, and head office is ok with the transaction, you could try and negotiate with the official, there might be something in it for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I don't trust the wife, sorry.

Have you actually witnessed this guy verbally abuse your wife, or are you just told that he does?

It's hard for me to understand how you could actually know (witness) that this guy verbally abuses your wife, and do nothing more than complain on an anonymous forum. Not many guys would just stand there if someone was abusing their wives.

I think you need to scratch your head a bit more about this, and be a bit more skeptical.

• Like 2