Trust, not in Thailand

seajae

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"I realize we should have had a contract written up which I wanted but the family said that she was very trustworthy and would not do anything bad, looks like their idea of a good friend has flown, money beats everything here obviously."

What you said.

Don't suppose verbal contracts hold up in Thailand?

In my view Westerners use the word' friend' much more cautiously than Thais who will use the word 'pheuan' for workmates, classmates, people they know generally. But the OP says his wife considered her to be a very good friend, so either the wife misjudged her or she is a real bitch.

But the OP shouldn't distrust all Thais, there are plenty of good folks out there.

• Like 1

In my view Westerners use the word' friend' much more cautiously than Thais who will use the word 'pheuan' for workmates, classmates, people they know generally. But the OP says his wife considered her to be a very good friend, so either the wife misjudged her or she is a real bitch.

But the OP shouldn't distrust all Thais, there are plenty of good folks out there.

I dont distrust all thais, this lady was a very close family friend for 40 odd years, family get togethers, parties, weddings etc. The whole family are dumbfounded by what she is doing, they cannot accept it is possible and are very disturbed by it.

• Like 1

"I realize we should have had a contract written up which I wanted but the family said that she was very trustworthy and would not do anything bad, looks like their idea of a good friend has flown, money beats everything here obviously."

What you said.

Don't suppose verbal contracts hold up in Thailand?

yes I know but I was not prepared to belittle my wife and her family over it by pushing for the contract, especially when they had been close friends for 40 years.

• Like 2

Knowing full well how much time, effort and expense you were going to put into this project and you never got a written contract at all?

Do not blame the Thai for this. You have to take the greatest portion of the blame, I'm afraid to say.

I realize this but I was not prepared to make my wife and family lose face or cause conflicts over it, I knew how much faith they had in this woman. Now they are suffering greatly because they know I put my faith in what they said about her by not getting a contract, to be honest it is their pain that hurts me the most because they are accepting the blame as their own.

• Like 1

Thai people cannot be trusted because u were stupid to not have a contract.

Is your wife trustworthy,her family/???

I had to sort out a stupid farang a few years ago,are all farangs stupid, i dont think so

Actually I put my faith in my wife and her families opinion or dont you have any faith/trust in yours. Between you and bershire the pair of you are both drop kicks and have no idea what believing in anyone is, my wife and her family are very trustworthy, dont know about yours, with your attitude they are obviously not trustworthy at all but then you probably deserve that with your attitude to others.

I used to be able to do a great drop kick,when i was younger lol.

This ost is about u not any other poster.U posted on here for replies, u got em khun drop kick.

Sorry to hear of the OP pedicament. I wouldn't buy a brick in Thailand.

But there are plenty of farang shysters out there too.

• Like 1

I had to sort out a stupid farang a few years ago,are all farangs stupid, i dont think so

Actually I put my faith in my wife and her families opinion or dont you have any faith/trust in yours. Between you and bershire the pair of you are both drop kicks and have no idea what believing in anyone is, my wife and her family are very trustworthy, dont know about yours, with your attitude they are obviously not trustworthy at all but then you probably deserve that with your attitude to others.

You said in your OP that "thai people cannot be trusted at all where money is concerned..."

Yet, you married a Thai. How can you marry someone that you don't trust? So either you are incredibly dishonest or incredibly stupid, which, I'm not sure.

• Like 1

Agree. The OP is talking about one Thai who is/was untrustworthy. ONE Thai. Which in his brain means ALL Thais are untrustworthy. So typical of the mentality we see on TV and makes me not one bit sympathetic to the OP's plight.

No !!he trusted someone who said the owner was trustworthy and no need of a contract.so he trusted 2 thais and of course there is only one dishonest thai in the whole country, No sympathy for not signing a contract.

Why don't you promise her a cut of the "lucrative takings" available by the end of next year, give yourself time to strip and salvage what you can, then of course leave her high and dry next year?

Outside that, I must say that's a repulsive bit of mentality going on there, so sorry to hear that.

It's all very well saying the OP was a fool but he's looking for practical advice now.

As the old saying goes, don't get mad.... get even. smile.png

• Like 2

I rarely ever met an unreasonable Thai.

I did businesses with Thais of every societal strata for more than 10 straight years in Bangkok.

Always there were misunderstanding but we always talked it through.people tend to listen when I talk to them face to face, I respect them and respect me too.

If you don't talk or don't know how to talk to people is a difficult task to interact with people.

My ex wife was quick tempered, but I ll always smoothen all potential disagreement just by reason.

I once cancelled a cheque I gave to a company. I called and told them why. They did a shoddy job which my customer in SA was not happy with. They sued me to court. I went by myself and explained to the judge why I did what I did, and that meanwhile this company was still working on other things for us and getting paid. The judge ordered me to pay them as issuing a check is guaranteeing payment based on law. She also said I say the terms of bing abl to pay, at which I said one year to date, as I ll have to compensate my SA clients. We had a deal and everyonewas happy.

Most of the Thais I know are very trustworthy and dependable.