STR protests US 'interference in Thai internal affairs'

webfact

Well I wonder when will my Thai fellows realise that we do not have enough oil supply for US to be interested to initiate anything more than barking on us. We have our own sovereignty and this is our own country, so do what you think it's good for our country and not what those foreigners think it's good for them. xsad.png.pagespeed.ic.5zxzyGiJz0.png

There are quite a few Thais who immigrated to America, and they are also letting their voices be heard in Washington.

Don't believe everything you read. Most Americans distrust the government, and also distrust the media -- which is a reasonable approach to getting information.

I believe most Americans just hope that Thais find a lasting solution to the endless cycle of conflict. Thailand is one of the greatest producers of rice in the world, and many American chefs prefer Thai rice. Further, Thailand sells top grade rice to American allies. Thailand is affectionately called the Rice Bowl of Asia.

You are important in a unique way. The ports in Thailand ship goods worldwide, which also is important to the US and its allies. If Suthep was elected PM the Preident of the US would send a message of congratulations to him.

I certainly hope Thais find a unique solution to the balance of power problem. I have only been here four years, so I am a Beginner student about your culture, but I like you and your people. I love quite a few of you.

The world is more interesting with Thais in it.

smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqN.png

Thais living in the US have minimal influence. In fact, the Hmong community is far more influential in the US than are Thais. I really don't think the US gives a flip about what is going on in Thailand. It's just too much trouble to get concerned with. There are newer and more reliable partners in Vietnam (and maybe in a few years, even Myanmar) and there are eager old allies in the Philippines and Japan that dwarf Thailand's influence. Thailand has already become a little too cozy with China for the US to want to throw good money after bad in Thailand.

Zy, The fact that Thailand has already become a little too cozy with China is the very reason that Thailand is important to the U.S.wai2.gif The Philippines has a host of problems not the least of which has to do with radical muslim extremists, and Japan while it will always be a strong ally of the U.S. is rapidly approaching the edge of a very dangerous demographic precipice that will have worldwide economic ramificationssad.png Your take on the United States not "giving a flip" about what is going on in Thailand couldn't be more incorrect! The China-ASEAN tading block will become the worlds largest in a very few years and The U.S. is not about to stand by and allow China to make protectorate states (or worse) out of Thailand, Burma, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam and the likethumbsup.gif

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is good. The US should be pounding the table for reform and the steps toward eliminating pervasive corruption in Thailand. The US and other major governments have long been tolerant of a known corrupt and abusive Thailand. On one hand the US voices support of people's movements around the world in Africa and the Middle East but fails to do so in the case of Thailand. For too long the US has been in bed with the corrupt legacy of elites and privileged in Thailand. Give the people of Thailand their due hearing America. Let them propose reform, support them and stop pandering to the elite corrupt privileged class in Thailand.

New York Times 3 days ago.

"In today’s fractured Thailand, a majority wants more democracy, but a minority, including many rich and powerful people, is petrified by the thought of it.

Because a number of the protest leaders are members of Thailand’s wealthiest families, some have described the demonstrations here as the antithesis of the Occupy Wall Street movement. This is the 1 percent rebelling against the 99 percent, they say."

But what they failed or forgot to mention is that the red shirt movement is as democratic as Khmer Rouge was in Cambodia. All those red villages across Thailand have been established with the assistance and help of one of the biggest democrats and human rights lovers Hun Sen. He thought them how to brainwash villagers and spread the propaganda. Furthermore, what they fail to mention is that Thaksin was the biggest human rights abuser in the modern Thai history. 3,000 people killed extrajudicially and more than half of them were innocent. A prove fact. 85 people killed in Tak Bai incident, between 2001-2005 18 human rights activists were assassinated etc...etc...So to imply that Shinawatra clan favours and supports democracy is beyond ridiculous. They actually abuse it for their own hideous agenda.

Mackie, I'm not sure if you are ignorant or you just like to radically twist facts around to try and push an agenda, either way you are dead wrong! The Khmer Rouge hasn't even a scintilla in common with the "red shirt" democratic movement in Thailand, as a matter of fact it is the antithesis of the red shirt movement wai2.gif The suthep movement (and or a military overthrow of democratically elected government) is much much closer to the way the Khmer Rouge took power and operatedthumbsup.gif Take off the rose colored glasses and the blinders my friend, your concept of "brainwashed villagers" is 30-40 years behind the times, many of those so called "brainwashed villagers" have family living in the U.S., Europe and Australia and talk to them regularly on their smartphones, so ironically they are often more informed about what is going on in the world around them than the so called "educated Bangkok elite" smile.png

This isnt Libya and Qadaffi. Why should the US be policing the world for corrupt governments?

Since when did wanting free and fair elections mean you support PTP? More democracy, more involvement, more participation is always better than clouds and smoke and mirror dealings.

The USA is smart. They will keep supporting elections and the rule of law until thailand learns what it means.

Thais can be a little selfish and slow sometimes. Its thainess.

Thai at Heart you have answered your own question here, the Dems/Suthep do not want free and fair elections, there attempted coup/dictorship is not democratic, so it is fair to say the USA and the rest of the free world does not support them. So in there minds this means that the rest of the world supports the PTP.

You think the USA considers the electoral process in thailand to be perfect. They know its all a mess.

You think the USA considers the electoral process in thailand to be perfect. They know its all a mess.

NYT, "BANGKOK — In a world now accustomed to democratic upheavals, including the Arab Spring and the Saffron and Orange Revolutions, the weeks of political upheaval in Thailand stand out for one main peculiarity. Protesters massing on the streets here are demanding less democracy, not more.

From their stage beneath the Democracy Monument, a Bangkok landmark, protesters cheer their campaign to replace Parliament with a “people’s council” in which members are selected from various professions rather than elected by voters."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/17/world/asia/in-thailand-rallying-cry-is-against-too-much-democracy.html?_r=0

Yes I think they know.

• Like 1

I don't know about reinforcements in Bamgkok, but I do know that under Obummer the embassies of the Middle East countries were told not to have ammunition in the Marines guns and staffing of these guards was reduced!!! Result- Benghazi and the killing of U.S.Ambassador Christopher Stevens. SAD

Mainlining Faux News again Kozmo

biggrin.png

Get real you don't care about embassy people or Banghazi unless it's something to bash Obama with. .

Now how about back to Thailand??

• Like 1

NYT, "BANGKOK — In a world now accustomed to democratic upheavals, including the Arab Spring and the Saffron and Orange Revolutions, the weeks of political upheaval in Thailand stand out for one main peculiarity. Protesters massing on the streets here are demanding less democracy, not more.

From their stage beneath the Democracy Monument, a Bangkok landmark, protesters cheer their campaign to replace Parliament with a “people’s council” in which members are selected from various professions rather than elected by voters."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/17/world/asia/in-thailand-rallying-cry-is-against-too-much-democracy.html?_r=0

Yes I think they know.

The protesters are anti government not anti democracy. The people's council is an interim proposal to set reform for Thai politics. I have never heard any of them say they want this to be permanent & the NYT is a prime example of how they have got the whole gist of their story wrong. Once again it shows the inadequacy of the opposition's PR.

• Like 1

This is good. The US should be pounding the table for reform and the steps toward eliminating pervasive corruption in Thailand. The US and other major governments have long been tolerant of a known corrupt and abusive Thailand. On one hand the US voices support of people's movements around the world in Africa and the Middle East but fails to do so in the case of Thailand. For too long the US has been in bed with the corrupt legacy of elites and privileged in Thailand. Give the people of Thailand their due hearing America. Let them propose reform, support them and stop pandering to the elite corrupt privileged class in Thailand.

The standard protocol of foreign governments that were democratically elected is friendly and supportive toward all other democratic governments. No government respects activist groups that use anarchy in their attempt to bring their legitimate government down.

Governments do try and make things better for populations that are oppressed by their own government. In such cases if the people form a movement that seeks to replace their government can get some support from foreign governments who are sympathetic to their cause. However all governments are extremely cautious if the government in place was elected democratically.

The Suthep protesters are rallying because their preferred minority party cannot win elections democratically. Accordingly they resorted first to malfeasance and then to anarchy. They do not represent the people. If they did they would win elections.

For the second time in ten years the Democrats have drawn a curtain to hide their anger so that their nominees can rally in the name of selected criminal elements such as those led by Suthep just now.

The cost to Thailand of Suthep's Democrats trying to insert themselves into government by criminal means is devastating. Each time in the last ten years most of the progress achieved by the people of Thailand is trashed by the Democrats and their nominees with their serial attempts to direct the wealth of the nation back into the hands of their Elite family sponsors.

As you and the entire Democrat Party must know the current government was elected lawfully by the people. If you want a Democrat government you have to show the ALL of the people that they are will fairly represented by your party of preference.

To suggest that the real problem is that the Democratic model which has enriched so many of the world's nations in the last century is not appropriate for the governance of Thailand the argument of fools.

I'd like to add that the US and other foreign governments know the source of Thai political troubles.

If they genuinely know the source then they should be supporting Suthep's cause of trying to remove an illegitimate government (undemocratic by the way) and helping to bring about meaningful reform to make Thai politics democratic - BEFORE holding fair elections. The Democrats are not so much interested in assuming power as to doing 2 things ie: reduce/eliminate corruption and remove and eliminate the 3 Shinawatra clans from politics!!

• Like 1

Yes I think they know.

The protesters are anti government not anti democracy. The people's council is an interim proposal to set reform for Thai politics. I have never heard any of them say they want this to be permanent & the NYT is a prime example of how they have got the whole gist of their story wrong. Once again it shows the inadequacy of the opposition's PR.

NYT wrote, "In today’s fractured Thailand, a majority wants more democracy, but a minority, including many rich and powerful people, is petrified by the thought of it.

That Thailand is being convulsed by an antidemocracy movement is somewhat surprising. The country was one of the earliest in Asia to adopt democracy.

The antidemocracy protests, which have been some of the largest in Thai history"

Seems to me that you and the NYT don't agree. For veracity my money is on New York Times. I do believe that I also heard the same thing on the BBC and Australian Broadcasting. So what you are saying is the whole world of Western media is wrong?

Edited by thailiketoo

Yes I think they know.

Couldn't agree more.

At least there is at least one poster who is informed and understands the situation as it is!!

It's a shame that some of these correspondents don't do their homework and find out what the situation REALLY is and do not simply treat it as it appears from America's over-simpified perspective where they fail to appreciate that this government lost all semblance of legitimacy, once it seriously abused it's powers through adopting dictatorial policies that Robert Mugabi would have been proud of.

Yes I think they know.

NYT wrote, "In today’s fractured Thailand, a majority wants more democracy, but a minority, including many rich and powerful people, is petrified by the thought of it.

That Thailand is being convulsed by an antidemocracy movement is somewhat surprising. The country was one of the earliest in Asia to adopt democracy.

The antidemocracy protests, which have been some of the largest in Thai history"

Seems to me that you and the NYT don't agree. For veracity my money is on New York Times. I do believe that I also heard the same thing on the BBC and Australian Broadcasting. So what you are saying is the whole world of Western media is wrong?

Unfortunately, yes they are!!

• Like 1

Yes I think they know.

Don't know why you keep reporting anti democracy. It is anti government & they propose to reform the current inadequate democratic system in this country. How is that anti democracy? They also want to be rid of the influence of the Shin clan who seem hell bent on running the country as a family dynasty. You have to be blind & deaf not to know this.

• Like 1

Yes I think they know.

I agree with the last paragraph, apart from the very last bit that should read "rather than duped/tricked uneducated people that fall for populist policies without realising that they are voting in a government with one thing only on their agenda - to return a criminal fraudster back to Thailand".

Until they become a bit more sensible they cannot be trusted with voting rights as dictatorships result from these 'so-called' democratically elected governments.

Yes I think they know.

Don't know why you keep reporting anti democracy. It is anti government & they propose to reform the current inadequate democratic system in this country. How is that anti democracy? They also want to be rid of the influence of the Shin clan who seem hell bent on running the country as a family dynasty. You have to be blind & deaf not to know this.

You have to be blind not to know that a group who rejects elections in favor of a non elected body is anti democracy.

I know this as does every journalist in the West. It makes no difference that you say it's only non democratic for a little while. No one believes that.

When an unelected minority wants control of the government by force, demonstrations or any other non elected means that is a dictatorship by one or by a committee makes no difference. The press of the world is reporting this but you don't seem to get it.

Yes I think they know.

I agree with the last paragraph, apart from the very last bit that should read "rather than duped/tricked uneducated people that fall for populist policies without realising that they are voting in a government with one thing only on their agenda - to return a criminal fraudster back to Thailand".

Until they become a bit more sensible they cannot be trusted with voting rights as dictatorships result from these 'so-called' democratically elected governments.

You're kidding right? That's what got the elites into trouble in the first place. They went up to red country and told the people they were too stupid to vote. Ya, biggrin.png that works!

You wrote, "US has been in bed with the corrupt legacy of elites and privileged in Thailand."

New York Times 3 days ago.

"In today’s fractured Thailand, a majority wants more democracy, but a minority, including many rich and powerful people, is petrified by the thought of it.

Because a number of the protest leaders are members of Thailand’s wealthiest families, some have described the demonstrations here as the antithesis of the Occupy Wall Street movement. This is the 1 percent rebelling against the 99 percent, they say."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/690354-ny-times-brands-current-protests-in-thailand-undemocratic-movement/

I think you got the protestors mixed up. The poor farmers wear red shirts and the guys protesting now have the cash and property.

I think you have got one word mixed up - the Democrats want REAL democracy not dictatorship under the guise of democracy (a la Pheu Thai). That is a big difference, you know!!

They don't fear democracy. as none exists in Thai political circles as far as this government is concerned.

A democratic government is elected. A form of government in which people choose leaders by voting.

A dictatorship is appointed or they seize power through other means instead of an election.

Sorry but I didn't make the words or definition of the words. Democracy=Vote, election.

You can't have a democracy without elections. If you don't have elections and appoint a government that is called a dictatorship.

Just because a government is elected it doesn't make it democratic, the elections have to be fair and the policies that people are to be asked upon are to be of benefit to all of the people and of the nation (not 1 solitary person).

Suthep is not appointing a government for a start - he is appointing a reform council made up of intelligent people from all walks of life to make reforms to a flawed government procedure so that elections can be held thereafter.

What he wants to do is remove the 3 Shinawatra clans from politics first and then even if Pheu Thai go on to win an election after this process he stated that "he will respect the results".

He is retiring from politics after this valuable mission anyway so how you can maintain that he is seeking power is a lie!!

Please tell me, do you not think that this is more democratic than 1 man dictatorial politics!!

Yes I think they know.

You're kidding right? That's what got the elites into trouble in the first place. They went up to red country and told the people they were too stupid to vote. Ya, biggrin.png that works!

I'm not saying that you have to point it out to them - all I am saying is, that it is the case, and allowances must be made in order to account for this electoral flaw.

Unfortunately, yes they are!!

Well what you are also saying is that the majority of Thais are also wrong as well. The protesters can justify their actions anyway they want, but the fact is they are opposed to democracy. That's not western media bias, that simply how they have reacted to the popular electoral vote by attempted to overthow and replace a government with their own chosen people.

• Like 1

The US could care less about these street tugs. They call them students most of them look like they didn't complete the 2nd grade and that was 30 years ago.. The US will do what it wants

So true, It is just about money for the US, they don'e care about democracy Just as long as it doesn't interfere with the global money machine!

Yes I think they know.

I'm not saying that you have to point it out to them - all I am saying is, that it is the case, and allowances must be made in order to account for this electoral flaw.

That is the same argument that the Southern States made when trying not to allow black people to vote in elections after the American Civil war. It didn't work then and it doesn't work now. One person one vote. You don't get to separate who you think is smart enough to vote. Sorry massa Steve but the slaves were freed in Thailand in 1905.

Edited by thailiketoo

NYT, "BANGKOK In a world now accustomed to democratic upheavals, including the Arab Spring and the Saffron and Orange Revolutions, the weeks of political upheaval in Thailand stand out for one main peculiarity. Protesters massing on the streets here are demanding less democracy, not more.

From their stage beneath the Democracy Monument, a Bangkok landmark, protesters cheer their campaign to replace Parliament with a peoples council in which members are selected from various professions rather than elected by voters."

Yes I think they know.

Hence why they would take the half way house of somehow ousting yingluck but hanging onto an election as an acceptable half way house.

Remove a corrupt government but don't resort to a coup.

That would be progress I guess.

• Like 1

NYT, "BANGKOK In a world now accustomed to democratic upheavals, including the Arab Spring and the Saffron and Orange Revolutions, the weeks of political upheaval in Thailand stand out for one main peculiarity. Protesters massing on the streets here are demanding less democracy, not more.

From their stage beneath the Democracy Monument, a Bangkok landmark, protesters cheer their campaign to replace Parliament with a peoples council in which members are selected from various professions rather than elected by voters."

Yes I think they know.

And the farmers are going to keep reminding bangkok about this for a very long time to come.

So, people's revolutions ARE recognised by the Yanks after all. What is the difference between Egypt and Thailand?

I am surprised that they can so blatantly support terrorist sympathiser organisations as I would think that America would be the last nation on earth to do this considering what has happened in the past!!!

They are bigger fools than those up in Isaan only on a bigger stage for all to see!!

Yes I think they know.

Hence why they would take the half way house of somehow ousting yingluck but hanging onto an election as an acceptable half way house.

Remove a corrupt government but don't resort to a coup.

That would be progress I guess.

Last I heard the US was in favor of new elections.

• Like 1

I am confused, is it the Thaksin elite or the Suthep elite you wish for my country to side with? Seems to me, the Thai people should work internally to deal with the issue of the elite having too much voice. I fear too many would condemn my country for voicing any voice. And yes, I favor my country expressing a voice concerning the conditions within another country, same as I will read the voices expressed dealing with conditions in my home country.

The US is regarded as a bit of an air head by US businessmen that have contact with her and her show of American support for the Yingluck government at this time is inappropriate for a diplomat. I didn't see any cosy shows of support for Morsi by the US ambassador before he was ousted and the US is very standoffish with the government in the Ukraine. Time for her to go back to the US and become a very important girl scout leader.

Last I heard the US was in favor of new elections.

They are, but they accept that its all very possible that that doesn't happen or that yingluck steps down.

Keep your options open. That's diplomacy

Being in favor of elections puts the US on the opposite side as the anti democracy protestors. So they have made a choice.

• Like 1