NBTC grants THAI Wi-Fi on-board license

webfact

With We Chat and Line being phone over wi-fi, we are now going to have people having phone conversations that we must listen to. There are going to be in flight murders. They need to also provide a phone booth, or a "cone of silence" like in Get Smart.

As I said, I doubt that the underlying nework would allow the use of real time voice traffic. It would only get worse as more people get hooked up to the same AP.

Well, if you are smart enough to override the behavior of your Wi-Fi card and change some parameters at the data link layer of 802.11 (such as the backoff algorithm), you might gain unfair advantage over the other users hooked up to the same AP. Then again, you should pray that there is no other smarta$$ doing the same at the same time as you do :P Just google "Selfish Misbehavior in 802.11 Wireless Networks" and read on if you have some time to spare ;)

Why does this need such a ridiculously complicated licensing system?

The license for frequency usage is a small part of it. The WiFi will work in the cabins but there will be hundreds of passengers all sharing the bandwidth from the actual internet connection, satellite-based I suppose. Multiply that by the number of aircraft using the same satellite signals. That will be not only complicated but expensive. Guess who will pay more for their tickets?

clockman, on 20 Dec 2013 - 11:01, said:

So we are sitting next to people playing mindless games. And have to hear there kind of music. To me it sounds like a nightmare!

It seems you haven't noticed ....this is 2013 going to 2014.

Things have changed from when you were young.

Try to keep up......not all is so bad.

About time Thai Airwaysclap2.gif

So, because it's 2013/4 I have to sit beside someone talking gobsh_te for 12 hours w00t.gif . Give me the old days then sad.png .

passengers can now use onboard any electronic equipment - laptops, music players, tablets. That's on top of a personal entertainment system. With wifi they will have an internet. I don't see more noise and disruption, than it's now

Do tell... inflight wifi. Must just be some ridiculous Thai idea that you will never encounter anyplace else :)

10 years after the first inflight wifi thailand wakes up again... Yawn..

So complacent in one's superior knowledge yet not knowing squat.

Ten years ago the first inflight wifi? So what? Totally moot observation. The service has only been commercially viable for a couple of years and many would say that it still is not. In any event- inflight wifi availability on airline flights throughout the world is the exception, not a service that can be taken for granted. It is primarily a domestic service that is usually expensive, slow and rarely seamless. International wifi flights are only a small percentage of the industry and they have massive areas of no coverage.

Regarding the business, inflight wifi may be a future standard, but at the moment it is a fledgling industry. It is at times not profitable and even incurs capital losses. Quantas was even going to dump it a year ago- I believe that they did.

So Thai on-board wifi may just be starting now but they certainly will have been considering it for a long time and it appears that a good deal of headaches were avoided by not jumping right into it.

And you are absurdly implying that this is an instance of Thailand being a technological /social laggard? Aggressive ignorance strikes again..."Yawn"... go back to sleep...

Edited by techboy

To those that say people will use their headphones whistling.gif .

They have obviously never been in a Pattaya IT cafe where all the bargirls are busily yakking away with their multitudes of farang "boyfriends".

If it comes in, expect to be sitting next to people saying "I'm on the plane" as loudly as possible, and then going on to discuss their intimate private lives, bah humbug.

why are you people complaining? whistling.gif

Because I don't want to sit for 12 hours listening to someone's dreary private life.

Technology sucks, a lot of the time.

Technology allowed you to post about complaining about technology.

And guess what....you will be able to still complain at 30,000 feet....about technology...while flying in a magical silver bird.

Irony.

why are you people complaining? whistling.gif

Because I don't want to sit for 12 hours listening to someone's dreary private life.

Technology sucks, a lot of the time.

Technology allowed you to post about complaining about technology.

And guess what....you will be able to still complain at 30,000 feet....about technology...while flying in a magical silver bird.

Irony.

Apologies, I should have said "SOME technology sucks".

I think we were better off as a society before the computer revolution. No imaginary friends, only real ones. Nothing much on tv so went out a lot to see real friends, not imaginary ones. Nobody asking on travel forums about where they can get a sim card so they can call their imaginary friends back home all day long. People actually talked to strangers while travelling, instead of talking to imaginary friends on their smart cheesy.gif phones.

We were certainly better off before "social media" and twattering.

I certainly don't want to have to listen to some moron for 12 hours on a flight telling all his imaginary friends that "I'm on the plane" w00t.gif .