Many aluminium pots 'fail' Thai safety standard

webfact

If I remember right, aluminium will accumulate in the brain and can not be purged by the body, leading to memory loss and Alzheimer's.

So this is indeed a serious issue.

Bugger.

We are about to throw any alloy pots out we have...or give them to the burmese up the road....if I remember to.

• Like 1

If only the powers that be invested a similar amount of effort improving road safety, or fighting corruption or addressing some of the other thousands or real issues in Thailand.

It is a cooking pot.

How much effort exactly do think was invested?

Please don't use every little announcement as an excuse to schoolmarm about your pet Thailand shortcomings.

• Like 1

I asked a friend of mine whose family owns the "Crocodile Brand" and she told all their producs passed those tests. She told that their factories use only so called food grade "Series 1100" aluminum.

They get their ingots from Australia which produces very pure aluminum.

Other brands may get their ingots from Indonesia, China or Vietnam which is of lower grade and purity.

Edited by Mole

How many Thais can afford steel pots? Really, how many? The moderator is right, this is something that hurts people in a personal way, every day, and is not a laughable matter.

This needs to stop, and the department trying to educate the public is very good. Ignorance is not a disease. It simply means that someone does not know something.

Resume rants.

Sincerely,

Me

I agree with you 100%.....but try to convince the Thais to change their own ways and I bet it will be impossible.

I asked a friend of mine whose family owns the "Crocodile Brand" and she told all their producs passed those tests. She told that their factories use only so called food grade "Series 1100" aluminum.

Other brands may get their ingots from Indonesia, China or Vietnam which is of lower grade and purity.

Was she plugged into a lie detector machine at the time?

• Like 2

If only the powers that be invested a similar amount of effort improving road safety, or fighting corruption or addressing some of the other thousands or real issues in Thailand.

It is a cooking pot.

I'

?

Personally I would like to have a big slow cooker with a ceramic pot.

Test the food cooked in one of those pots at a restaurant or stall and I guarantee the bacteria will be a million times more dangerous than the residue from the aluminium pot.

The most likely way the pot will get you is if it's hurled at you by the missus. coffee1.gif

If this is true why hasn't everybody got diarrea or food poisoning every day.Or maybe a million good bacteria.

• Like 1

Aluminium is soft and it scratches.

It's just essentially better not to use it.

Was she plugged into a lie detector machine at the time?

And why the hell would you think she'd lie?

Since their products only use pure aluminium, of course they passed any tests.

It is a cooking pot.

The testing of 23 utensils requires very little effort. Likewise very little effort goes into the other issues, therefore you get your wish.

How many Thais can afford steel pots? Really, how many? The moderator is right, this is something that hurts people in a personal way, every day, and is not a laughable matter.

This needs to stop, and the department trying to educate the public is very good. Ignorance is not a disease. It simply means that someone does not know something.

Resume rants.

Sincerely,

Me

A lot of poor people that I know spend more on the lottery, twice a month, than the cost of a stainless steel cooking pot. Also a stainless steel pot, although costing twice the price of an aluminium pot will probably still be in service 10 times as long as an aluminium pot.

I only use stainless steel or cast iron except for the rice cooker. As others have mentioned, I hope that as my rice cooker is Japanese, made by sharp, that the aluminium is food safe.

Resume rants.

Sincerely,

Me

A lot of poor people that I know spend more on the lottery, twice a month, than the cost of a stainless steel cooking pot. Also a stainless steel pot, although costing twice the price of an aluminium pot will probably still be in service 10 times as long as an aluminium pot.

I only use stainless steel or cast iron except for the rice cooker. As others have mentioned, I hope that as my rice cooker is Japanese, made by sharp, that the aluminium is food safe.

Thinking that because it's Japanese by name, I'm afraid, is not any sort of guarantee of quality.

Having worked in the car industry for eons, in various countries, you'd be shocked at the different levels of quality in materials used in different places.

For example, Ford manufactures the Mondeo worldwide, including China. The body panels are specified, generally, at between 0.7 to 0.9 mm depending on panel.

In China, I have seen the same panels not only manufactured out of steels with a 50% less yield strength, but also at 0.6mm - to save cost. This is something Ford would vehemently deny - but it isn't actually fully aware of what goes on, because it is the Chinese management that makes such decisions to line their own pockets when costs are reduced - as is crash safety highly reduced.

Hence, saying your cookware is made by SHARP carries little weight - as it's probably not manufactured in Japan, and so anything could be used as per my comparison.

Just a free penny of my thoughts.

-m.

After scanning a few research papers and studies, I'm not impressed. Aluminum doesn't cause Alzheimer's and we willingly ingest 80 thousand times more aluminum by taking an antacid tablet than we do from cooking in an Al pot:

According to an account in Cooks Illustrated (January 2012), lab tests run on tomato sauce cooked in aluminum for two hours, then stored in the same pot overnight, showed that the sauce contained only .0024 milligrams per cup. In contrast, a single antacid tablet may contain more than 200 milligrams.

Now I'm not going to say unequivocally that high levels of Al ingestion is safe. But if you have concerns and want to cut down on the element, you should probably be looking in other places than your cookware.

Edited by attrayant
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I doubt any one in authority knows the meaning of Safety its profit that counts not safety you can’t go shopping with safety it’s that wonderful thing called money money that’s all you need to know about nothing else is important in Thailand only money.