Thai wife of deceased German has had pension cancelled

ClareQuilty

A Thai friend of mine has asked me to investigate about his friend's pension from Germany, which recently stopped without explanation (or at least any explanation she could understand). The pension arose from that lady's marriage to a German national, now deceased 11 years.

Does anyone know if there is a new policy of the German government to interfere with this type of pension? My friend speculated that some European countries may be disallowing such pensions if the survivor is not residing in the original pensioners home country.

Any information or advice would be much appreciated.

Edited by ClareQuilty

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the replies. I'm looking for general information that anyone may have about German policy on this issue and whether there has been any change in it. Apparently she has been receiving it for many years.

(opinions regarding the policy are not helpful)

The actual rule is that she can get a life time widow's pension if she is at least 45 years old or she has a kid under 18 years old together with her husband. If she isn't 45 yet, she will receive a pension for only two years, paid once as a lump sum. I'm not sure about how many years she had to be married to claim pension, this rule has recently changed. I suggest that she contact a lawyer or some of the relatives of her deceased husband. It may be worth it

Fatfather

Sent from my phone

• Like 2

Retired with a Belgian govt pension and living permanently outside Belgium I have to give once a year a "Certificat de Vie" . It's a form sent to me by my pension office in Brussels to verify that I'm still alive that must be signed by the BKK Belgian consul and sent back.

Maybe same here ?

• Like 2

Through the Pensions Bill, the UK Government is seeking to withdraw state pension payments to expat spouses. They will continue to receive a state pension for National Insurance contributions they have made themselves, but not for contributions made by their spouse. This was announced last Spring although there was no suggestion it would be retrospective.. Maybe Germany is doing the same but on a retrospective basis as well.

There has been a move this year to stop foreign wives who have never paid any tax or national insurance contributions from getting any rights to claim money based on being married to a European. The UK Government is therefore stopping all payments to Thai wives that have never worked in the UK. If they have worked in the UK, then they will be entitled to their own pension based on how many years they have paid contributions.

This should lead to a reduction in the number of apparent suicides of married Ex-Pats, once they are receiving their pensions. I know of a number of "Black Widows", who have married several Germans in turn, that have died leaving the houses and pensions to their Thai Wives. One Thai woman from my wife's village was actually a lesbian and her friend that lived with them was actually her "Tom" husband. The last time I saw her she had a bar on Soi 8 Patttaya and her 3rd German husband had just died due to "alcoholic poisoning" and she was asking for help to get hold of her German husband's pension from Germany.

You cannot claim several widow's pensions because the widow's pension will be cancelled when the widow marries again.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ XA using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Why ask here....

Apart from misinformation and ridicule, you wont know any facts unless the proper authorities are contacted.

Ummm... while I am here... What is the proper technique to putting pants on... is it the right leg in first? -sic-

As far as I know there is no change in regulations.

If you are able to read German, please have a look to this site:

http://www.vlh.de/krankheit-vorsorge/altersbezuege/witwenrente-die-wichtigsten-fakten.html

If your friend gets the “large widow’s pension” it is based on conditions:

1. incapacitated for work, 2. raising a child under 18 years old, 3. must be over 45 years of age.

The “large widow’s pension” is paid without any time restriction.

So maybe conditions have changed.

But according to your post it seems more than likely that she has just missed to send prove of her confirmation to be still alive.

Through the Pensions Bill, the UK Government is seeking to withdraw state pension payments to expat spouses. They will continue to receive a state pension for National Insurance contributions they have made themselves, but not for contributions made by their spouse. This was announced last Spring although there was no suggestion it would be retrospective.. Maybe Germany is doing the same but on a retrospective basis as well.

I am in the middle of a wrangle with UK Gov about the provision of a widows pension for my Thai wife. She has a National Insurance number tho' has never worked in UK. They say she will receive only a Bereavement grant but no pension despite my nearly 40 years of contributions. We married five years ago in Feb. Any one in this situation or can add any info?

There has been a move this year to stop foreign wives who have never paid any tax or national insurance contributions from getting any rights to claim money based on being married to a European. The UK Government is therefore stopping all payments to Thai wives that have never worked in the UK. If they have worked in the UK, then they will be entitled to their own pension based on how many years they have paid contributions.

This should lead to a reduction in the number of apparent suicides of married Ex-Pats, once they are receiving their pensions. I know of a number of "Black Widows", who have married several Germans in turn, that have died leaving the houses and pensions to their Thai Wives. One Thai woman from my wife's village was actually a lesbian and her friend that lived with them was actually her "Tom" husband. The last time I saw her she had a bar on Soi 8 Patttaya and her 3rd German husband had just died due to "alcoholic poisoning" and she was asking for help to get hold of her German husband's pension from Germany.

These are the Hi-so women that walk around central Pattaya that KerryK/Chiang Mahi Kelly/ Andrew was telling us about. cheesy.gif

• Like 1

I am in the middle of a wrangle with UK Gov about the provision of a widows pension for my Thai wife. She has a National Insurance number tho' has never worked in UK. They say she will receive only a Bereavement grant but no pension despite my nearly 40 years of contributions. We married five years ago in Feb. Any one in this situation or can add any info?

MB^^^^^,

I was involved helping a Thai widow recently.

She was given a death grant of 2,000 pounds and a pension for one year.

The total came to just over 150,000 baht paid into her bank account as a one off payment.

She was told to apply again at either age 60 or 65 , sorry cant remember which age.

So yes the above sounds about right based on what the woman I refer to experienced.

They don't make Germans like they used to. Thank god Germans lost WW1&2.

Why ask here....

Apart from misinformation and ridicule, you wont know any facts unless the proper authorities are contacted.

Ummm... while I am here... What is the proper technique to putting pants on... is it the right leg in first? -sic-

It is easy to understand why the poster is asking here, there could be other TV members who experienced the same thing and is able to tell the poster what they did to rectify the problem. That is why Thaivisa is a great forum for posters needing help or vice versa.

Yah really think so???

Did you read the OP's question.... A friend of a friend....

If you ever spent any time in Thailand, you would also know that 2 or more different rules can be applied in the same circumstance.

Perhaps my logic is wrong... better ask opinions as fact, than go to the source and be a real friend and provide real answers to the lazy sod that cant do it for themselves.

So, which is it... the right leg first?

Edited by thhMan

Why ask here....

It is easy to understand why the poster is asking here, there could be other TV members who experienced the same thing and is able to tell the poster what they did to rectify the problem. That is why Thaivisa is a great forum for posters needing help or vice versa.

Yah really think so???

Did you read the OP's question.... A friend of a friend....

If you ever spent any time in Thailand, you would also know that 2 or more different rules can be applied in the same circumstance.

Perhaps my logic is wrong... better ask opinions as fact, than go to the source and be a real friend and provide real answers to the lazy sod that cant do it for themselves.

So, which is it... the right leg first?

The OPs friends problem has nothing to do with Thailand, if it was you would be right about "two or more different rules" I can't talk about Germany, but in the UK, Government bodies, DWP etc, all apply the same rules, they certainly do in my experience.

yes the governments of several european nations as well as the uk r trying to trim these payments ..they r astronomical ...the states had a problem years back with filipina widows ....i also knew a woman who married a ww1 vet a ww2 vet a korean war vet and at least two vietnam vets ...she had several identities the ww1 vet was 45 years older than her ...often relatives of recipients still claim long after the person receiving the pension has died ........apparently the worse country for this is the uk ....there is some sort of law there that only next of kin can inform appropriate govt dept .of deaths ....the welfare bill is killing western countries ..