Any police/ special forces/ LEO/ unarmed combat pros now in Phuket who want to make a few bucks?

jackrobertson

I want to learn a few "applied self-defense" moves and need someone with practical experience controlling and restraining people to teach me. (no kicking in the balls)

Basically 2-3 controlling holds, 2-3 incapacitating strokes - something to quickly deal with a big drunk without turning the whole thing into a muay thai bout

And how to restrain/ hold someone safely (for myself) until police arrives

Not looking for anything fancy. Must be very practical and with experience using this in real life situations.

Happy to pay some money for this though won't be a fortune. I'm in Phuket now and will be here for a few weeks or longer.

Send me a private message or reply with your contacts

Alternatively, if anyone knows of a fighting school (Phuked preferred but other places in TH will be ok too) that has a similar course, your suggestions would be welcome

All trainers at the schools I've been to are only focused on the sports, which is great but not what I am looking for. I am sure a bjj blackbelt would be able to handle a big drunk with ease - but there must be easier ways to learn, without becoming a bjj blackbelt.

bjj=brazilian jiu jitsu

Looks like people here need basic reading comprehension courses as I specifically said I am not interested in bjj

NO you specificall said you are not interested in becoming a BJJ blackbelt! Although I am sure some of the skillset you are looking for could be learned from these people.

But if you are as churlish as you sound then I cant imagine why you havent got the response you are looking for..,.....

• Like 1

Three basic moves: the wrist lock, arm bar take down, and leg sweep should meet your needs. They are easy and quick to learn, and effective in the field. Google them. They are on You Tube.

However, all it takes is your target to hit his head on the concrete the wrong way, and you are off to gaol and spending your whole life savings to buy your freedom back.

For the police here, it's not about fault, the law, or justice - it's about how much money can we make out of this. Unless in absolute self defence, and with plenty of independent witnesses, it's risking going hand to had here, because sometimes serious injuries and/or death can occur, and in that moment, your whole life can change.

It's just not worth it, if you are looking to learn and use these skills for crowd control.

Much better to draw your targets attention while a bar girl smashes a bottle over his head. I've seen it many times, but never once saw one arrested for it. smile.pngsmile.png

Edited by NamKangMan

Three basic moves: the wrist lock, arm bar take down, and leg sweep should meet your needs. They are easy and quick to learn, and effective in the field. Google them. They are on You Tube.

However, all it takes is your target to hit his head on the concrete the wrong way, and you are off to gaol and spending your whole live savings to buy your freedom back.

Yes this is exactly what I am looking for. Three basic moves.

I've seen them performed on youtube, but obviously I can't just download them the Neo way into my body.

Which is why I want someone whose job is to control people to drill them into me the right way - someone with actual experience using such moves in an emergency situation. Not just the moves but the best applications and the best drilling techniques so that they become automatic.

Of course I don't plan to use something like that in a bar. Definitely not in Thailand. I don't even go to bars. But sometimes there are situations in life when a rowdy drunk would need to be controlled. Drunks don't feel the pain as much, so the punching/ kicking would need to be pretty dramatic to take them out of action. A well-practiced wrist lock works automatically.

However, all it takes is your target to hit his head on the concrete the wrong way, and you are off to gaol and spending your whole live savings to buy your freedom back.

Yes this is exactly what I am looking for. Three basic moves.

I've seen them performed on youtube, but obviously I can't just download them the Neo way into my body.

Which is why I want someone whose job is to control people to drill them into me the right way - someone with actual experience using such moves in an emergency situation. Not just the moves but the best applications and the best drilling techniques so that they become automatic.

Of course I don't plan to use something like that in a bar. Definitely not in Thailand. I don't even go to bars. But sometimes there are situations in life when a rowdy drunk would need to be controlled. Drunks don't feel the pain as much, so the punching/ kicking would need to be pretty dramatic to take them out of action. A well-practiced wrist lock works automatically.

The best way I handle obnoxious drunks in a bar here is to turn to the cashier and say, "Check bill." No shame walking away here. It's a lose - lose situation. Like I said, do some serious injuries, or worse, to the other party, and you will be extorted for your freedom.

If you are looking at basic self defence techniques - yes, it's good to know a few moves. That said, remember, Thai's don't fight one on one, they attack in packs, so while you are dealing with one, another stabs a knife into your back, or hits you on the head with an iron bar.

With a lot of repetitive practice, these moves will become instintive, so that one day when someone throws a punch, you will automatically, without even thinking, go to the appropriate move. You don't get that in a week, not even a month. It takes a lot of practice, just like any athlete.

As mentioned, I now prefer the "Check bill" move. :) :)

• Like 1

If you are looking at basic self defence techniques - yes, it's good to know a few moves. That said, remember, Thai's don't fight one on one, they attack in packs, so while you are dealing with one, another stabs a knife into your back, or hits you on the head with an iron bar.

With a lot of repetitive practice, these moves will become instintive, so that one day when someone throws a punch, you will automatically, without even thinking, go to the appropriate move. You don't get that in a week, not even a month. It takes a lot of practice, just like any athlete.

As mentioned, I now prefer the "Check bill" move. smile.pngsmile.png

Just to be clear - I'm 40 years old, I know the "check bill" move by heart and I am not looking to be a hero. I've been in Asia for years and know that Thais, Chinese, etc fight in packs of 20-30-etc.

My horror scenario is if my wife is somehow touched/ messed with by a drunk. It would not be a Thai or Asian doing something like that. It would be a big drunk westerner (I am decent size myself). Under those circumstances checking out would not be an option. Logical reasoning would not work either.

As mentioned, I now prefer the "Check bill" move. smile.pngsmile.png

Just to be clear - I'm 40 years old, I know the "check bill" move by heart and I am not looking to be a hero. I've been in Asia for years and know that Thais, Chinese, etc fight in packs of 20-30-etc.

My horror scenario is if my wife is somehow touched/ messed with by a drunk. It would not be a Thai or Asian doing something like that. It would be a big drunk westerner (I am decent size myself). Under those circumstances checking out would not be an option. Logical reasoning would not work either.

"My horror scenario is if my wife is somehow touched/ messed with by a drunk. It would not be a Thai or Asian doing something like that. It would be a big drunk westerner" - usually, it's the girl's so called "brother." :) :)

I would recommend employing someone to live in the house and attack you unexpectedly every time you get home. Similar to Kato in Pink Panther...great for learning self defence.

Thats too easy....just bring your gik home with you........bet you will be attacked everytime, expected or not..Whether or not you learn self defence or not is a different matter tho'

A "couple of moves" will do you no good. You never know what the other guy is capable of even when he is drunk.

Either learn martial arts the proper way or don't get involved.

Its a bit like wanting to learn to be a stuntdriver, but without having to learn to drive a car first...

This and 'a couple of moves' just don't work that way in real life.

Learn jujitsu at a muay Thai camp. Grappling techniques to subdue. Pm the Scottish Ivan for details
I am not scottish!!!!!

For the OP you should have no problem finding special forces personel in Phuket. I have bever met an infantryman only black ops, SAS, Rangers and Navy Seals