Immigration opening during the holidays

Remember that in Thailand the government, including immigraiton, is open as usual during Christmas.

However, Monday the 30th of December is an extra government holiday, meaning that immigration will be closed from 28 of December till the first of January. They will open again on the second of January.
Given the long holiday, expect it to be very bussy on Friday the 27th and Thursday the 2nd. Best to go in advance or a few days after the 2nd.

If your permission to stay ends during the holiday, youwill not be fined for overstay provided you go to immigration for an extension on the 2nd of January (the first day they are open again). But it will be bussy and extensions can always be applied for before the expiry date of your permission to stay! Don't wait till the last day.

Bordercrossings are open every day, holiday or not.

How sad would that be to go to an Immigration office on Christmas day, Merry Christmas every one.wai.gif

What? Since so many farang may be sitting at home on Christmas there shouldn't be much waiting. Probably the best day of the year for the Chinese, Myanmar et.al. to do their immigration business. They probably look forward to Christmas - not for the reason you do!

How sad would that be to go to an Immigration office on Christmas day, Merry Christmas every one.wai.gif

What? Since so many farang may be sitting at home on Christmas there shouldn't be much waiting. Probably the best day of the year for the Chinese, Myanmar et.al. to do their immigration business. They probably look forward to Christmas - not for the reason you do!

And the Scandinavians as we celebrate on Christmas eve.

And the Scandinavians as we celebrate on Christmas eve.

Raised in a German/Lutheran family, so did we. Christmas day is for skiing.

• Like 1

I live in Nonthaburi and went to do my 90 day report on the day after Christmas. Got there at 9 am and was the first in line for my report. Got it done in five minutes and out of there in a hurry. Only one Western foreigner came in while I was there and probably for an extension of his visa. The only other people were either Burmese or Laotian workers and were handled in a different area.

I saw only about six people for visas so all were going to be finished in the next 30 minutes. I was told my the immigration agent that there were very few people for visas if any on Christmas day. I was thinking about going in on Christmas but overslept. Maybe next year.