Four Chinese tourists in terrifying ordeal in jammed Phuket elevator

webfact

Four Chinese tourists in terrifying ordeal in jammed Phuket elevator
Eakkapop Thongtub

1387776809_1.jpg
Rescue workers use a crowbar to open the stuck door.

PHUKET: -- Four Chinese tourists, including a 9-year-old girl, had a traumatic start to their Phuket holiday when they spent around 45 minutes trapped in an elevator at The Album hotel in Patong at 5am yesterday morning (December 22).

Alerted by the screaming and crying coming from inside the elevator, hotel staff called the Kusoldharm Foundation rescue volunteers and staff from the Phuket Disaster Prevention and Mitigation department.

It took around 30 minutes for rescue workers to use a crowbar to pry open the elevator door.

The shaken tourists inside were named as Tang Xiuzhen, 64; Wang Jilin, 63; Fan Lijuan, 26; and Chaden Wang Kexis, 9. Also trapped inside was Tawan Srinakron, the hotel receptionist.

Police said the Chinese family had just arrived in Phuket and after check-in, Mr Tawan went to take them to their room.

He told investigators he pressed the “2nd floor” button in the elevator, but instead the elevator went down to the basement, and the door jammed. Fortunately, Mr Tawan had brought his mobile phone with him and was able to call a fellow staff member for help.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/four-chinese-tourists-in-terrifying-ordeal-in-jammed-phuket-elevator-43619.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-12-23

Maybe an overloaded lift (made in China) was possible to blame since they had just checked in. Passengers including excessive heavy luggage can sometimes be the main cause. Most lifts in Thailand are also not air-conditioned environments so the experience must have been like spending 45 minutes trapped in-a-sauna. Lucky for them it was the coolest part of the day.

Edited by MK1

Not being smartarse at all but would really like to see what stevenl commented about this on the other site , am interested by the mods comments after not publishing it at all..what could have been said that warrented that reaction...?

Re-post here and get a better re action i would think..

Not being smartarse at all but would really like to see what stevenl commented about this on the other site , am interested by the mods comments after not publishing it at all..what could have been said that warrented that reaction...?

Wow, 30 minutes in the elevator makes the papers. Must be a slow news day.

Sent from my D90W using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Obviously is a slow news day..but it also effected you as you posted yesterday..i saw the Eds response to your post and was curious as to why he ''put you in your place" whistling.gif

• Like 1

Obviously is a slow news day..but it also effected you as you posted yesterday..i saw the Eds response to your post and was curious as to why he ''put you in your place" whistling.gif

I don't know, I posted the same as here, on your request. Truth hurts I guess.

What were they doing playing in the elevators at 5 am in the morning? I suspect they are from some craphole in China and don't get the chance to press the buttons in lifts very often and given the opportunity, the whole family went ballistic jabbing the lift control panel like it was a bear in a cage until the damn thing had had enough and malfunctioned and then they came up with this poppycock about innocently using the lift at this ungodly hour. I am telling you, there are no innocents here.

And what are those clowns from the "rescue foundation" playing at, for God's sake?

I don't know, I posted the same as here, on your request. Truth hurts I guess.

Got it now..you weren't very clear about that.

If that's all it was obviously,he's starting to fall apart..all his false bravado about not being worried about his other big issue is as is normal with him.

He's on edge..getting his toothbrush packed ready for his appointment tomorrow..smile.png

Next breaking news from phuket. Man gets nasty paper cut upon opening a pack of A4 in B2S. The Laokao Namdaeng rescue foundation spent a frantic 5 minutes running it under a tap until it stopped bleeding

• Like 1

Amazing that the Phuket News would even consider this "news", lol

I've been stuck in an elevator before. I wasn't exactly "terrified". Just royally pissed off.

I suppose newbie tourists exposed to the wonders of technology might be allowed to be 'terrified'. I remember being stuck in a lift of a brand new (pre opening) well known chain hotel. Must admit I was well pissed off, but the free drinks offered by the hotel deputy manager calmed me down thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Amazing that the Phuket News would even consider this "news", lol

I've been stuck in an elevator before. I wasn't exactly "terrified". Just royally pissed off.

I suppose newbie tourists exposed to the wonders of technology might be allowed to be 'terrified'. I remember being stuck in a lift of a brand new (pre opening) well known chain hotel. Must admit I was well pissed off, but the free drinks offered by the hotel deputy manager calmed me down thumbsup.gif

Yes, pissed off, yes, maybe even scared.

But did you make the papers with your experience?

...yes, no shoplifting at 7/11 at all!

Being trapped in an elevator is only as traumatic and terrifying as you make it!!! And it was only 45 minutes. I've been trapped in elevators TWICE. First time 1 hour plus, no panic. Second time I got the door open myself. No need for crying and panicking. Hysteria won't get you out quicker, just driving you insane.

Arkady, on 23 Dec 2013 - 19:03, said:

Was in a lift in an ancient hotel in Greece that fell one and a half floors to its springs. Was also stuck about 30 or 40 minutes with about 10 Greek ladies in widows' weeds who were panicking. Not much fun i can tell you.

How ancient? Before or after Christ?

45 minutes, that's it? Simply terrifyingcoffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif alt=coffee1.gif pagespeed_url_hash=2220208811 width=32 height=24>

Reactions would be much more different if the trapped were farang. Seen this type of behavior too often similar to some nationalist type of site with the word "storm" in it. Farang got hurt, injured or simply inconvinenced complains to the skies screams to the heavens of the injustice. Same thing happens to a non farang. Whatever or blames the news site.

What were they doing playing in the elevators at 5 am in the morning? I suspect they are from some craphole in China and don't get the chance to press the buttons in lifts very often and given the opportunity, the whole family went ballistic jabbing the lift control panel like it was a bear in a cage until the dam_n thing had had enough and malfunctioned and then they came up with this poppycock about innocently using the lift at this ungodly hour. I am telling you, there are no innocents here.

And what are those clowns from the "rescue foundation" playing at, for God's sake?

They had just checked in and were being taken to their room by the bell boy if you bothered to read the OP. But don't let that stop you from slagging off at people that have just arrived in the country for a holiday. Oh and the 9 year old girl should have been more composed and kept her cool after flying a great distance in an aeroplane (which could be scary) and then experiencing this immediately after arriving in a strange place and country, shame on her parents for not disiplining her! Maybe next time they will use a belt and gag her.....

If that would please you more...

What were they doing playing in the elevators at 5 am in the morning? I suspect they are from some craphole in China and don't get the chance to press the buttons in lifts very often and given the opportunity, the whole family went ballistic jabbing the lift control panel like it was a bear in a cage until the dam_n thing had had enough and malfunctioned and then they came up with this poppycock about innocently using the lift at this ungodly hour. I am telling you, there are no innocents here.

They had just checked in and were being taken to their room by the bell boy if you bothered to read the OP. But don't let that stop you from slagging off at people that have just arrived in the country for a holiday. Oh and the 9 year old girl should have been more composed and kept her cool after flying a great distance in an aeroplane (which could be scary) and then experiencing this immediately after arriving in a strange place and country, shame on her parents for not disiplining her! Maybe next time they will use a belt and gag her.....

If that would please you more...

RigPig

I reckon they were all at it. Stabbing those lift buttons like there was no tomorrow. Even the 9-year-old. If you do it enough, it will make the lift jam.

• Like 2