Stricter requirements, new application forms for ED visa extensions

Correct!!! The rule benders always ruin it for the people that do it the correct way.

So now.... you cannot even work part time? What about Foreign exchange students?

I actually want to get a ED visa but it looks like I am tooooooo late.

I speak Thai but I will need more than my GF to help teach me how to read it.

Though, Language schools are also good for Japanese and Chinese .....sometimes.

You have never been allowed to work part time. Any work requires a work permit.

• Like 2

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've heard this was coming. Here's a real beauty. I'm a Buddhist monk. In the past, I was given a "R" visa for religious study's. Now they are giving foreign monks, yep, you got it, a "ED" visa.. and asking us for proof of income.. we're monks, we don't have an income.. WTH. blink.png

I missed that they are now giving monks an ED visa. Interesting.

But I think/hope that for monks they will make exeptions and you instead show proof from the abot thay you will stay at the temple and live as a monk.

I have to change my reply.

The change is not regarding the process at the consulates, it is for getting a letter of aproval from the ministry of education which is needed to get an ED-visa in neighbouring countries or extensions of stay. At this moment it changes nothing to the policy of consulates in Europe, the US etc.

The question is thus if a monk also needs such letter in order to get an ED-visa.

This will effectively kill the ED business. If for example a book author, receiving money from abroad. What is his status?

He or she cannot get a work permit because the business has nothing to do with Thailand. The same with thousands of different freelancers out there, not working locally.

What if you have your own savings but the form asks for "the person who is supporting you financially". Then if you have a person, for example your wealthy uncle in Italy, who does not speak English. They are going to call him and speak Italian?

It will kill the business of procuring ED Visas when in reality that is not the reason the person has for living in Thailand.

You have to realise Thailand has no obligation to provide a means for everyone in the world to come and live here as they choose.

They are quite accommodating really.

You make it sound like anybody has a right to live wherever they choose and the country should not deny them.

• Like 1

Hard to believe or not, many freelancers use this ED visa to stay and work illegally.

The problem is that ED visa does not allow to work, as in other countries like in Europe and the US.

If the ED visa was harder to get, but at the same time allowed to work maybe 10-20 hours a week, would be good and help people get their legal status.

but, again, this can be abused too. and I think the system in Thailand is not ready for this.

Proof of income? Aren't they studying, and not working?

Income from outside Thailand is what they want to see.

Income from who? Their parents? I still can't imagine how a full time student is expected to have an income from a foreign job, while studying full time in Thailand.

Edited by Time Traveller

Maybe this is only a requirement for the Walen School of Thai since they seem to be the only source for this information. The immigration websites and local newspapers have no mention of it.

They are the source of the information which came from the MOE. It will apply to all schools.

It is not an immigration requirement it is the MOE's new requirements to get documentation for an extension at immigration.

Hard to believe or not, many freelancers use this ED visa to stay and work illegally.

The problem is that ED visa does not allow to work, as in other countries like in Europe and the US.

If the ED visa was harder to get, but at the same time allowed to work maybe 10-20 hours a week, would be good and help people get their legal status.

but, again, this can be abused too. and I think the system in Thailand is not ready for this.

A student can work, but must get a non-B visa and a work permit.

The problem of freelancers, people working over the internet etc. is that the labour law is not set -up for that. That is another discussion and has nothing to do with an Ed-visa.

Spoke to a non - Walen learning centre friend of mine who knew nothing about new rule. She said only problems they've had are with KL, who will only give ED visas for international schools or universities. Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

It is not a visa from an embassy or extension from immigration. requirement.

It is additional requirement from the MOE for getting documentation from them.

So we can not discuss how people abuse the visa system, only how it will affect people and consequences. That is easy. A lot of people will not be happy because of this changes, and then my guess is they will have to leave. And i am not sorry to see all so called students and other false ED Visa people go, oh <deleted> there i said it. My concern is, that anybody trying to outwit the immigration system and getting caught, will finally lead to my ass getting bit also one day. My advice is, play a straight game and things work out well.

• Like 2

Just to note that, to obtain a student visa, a Thai student attending a language school in the USA -- usually as remedial English to later attend a university or vocational school -- would require a minimum 18 classroom clock hours per week.

Edited by JLCrab

What about all of the other subjects that are currently qualified foe ED visas and have nothing to do with Thai language or culture. all of the diving courses that are offered and languages other than Thai, etc?

You just say that you are supporting yourself. Then if they want proof show some form of proof that you have funds coming into the country from abroad. The best proof would be a Thai bank book showing transfers in.

This is going to really hurt a lot of English Teachers that have been using the ED visa while they teach.

The only income they have is teaching but they are not going to be able to show it.

This is also going to mean more work for Embassies as they are going to have to verify the income much like they do for us younger folk.

Should be interesting to see how this works out.

I agree though with all the abuse it is about time they did something to resolve the abuse.

If you have an ED Visa, you cannot work. So teachers, must get a Visa accordingly to the reason they stay in Thailand, that clearly is NOT an ED Visa.

• Like 1

What about all of the other subjects that are currently qualified foe ED visas and have nothing to do with Thai language or culture. all of the diving courses that are offered and languages other than Thai, etc?

The forms will be used for all courses of study to get documentation from the MOE.

The statement at the bottom of the first form will be difficult for the schools to comply with.

"2. The school that has approved foreign students must monitor and check their foreign students to NOT work in Thailand."

And no mention of what, if any, consequences would be for the school if one or many of their students were caught working?

Yikes. Will be interesting to see what happens when we sign up for our Thai classes and they start processing the paperwork to deliver our "guaranteed visas". We're unemployed/self employed for the year we're planning to stay, but if they make an issue of it we could certainly show them a healthy bank balance...

Thanks for the link. I'm going to forward it to pro language, where we're planning to study, and see what they say.

• Like 1

Yikes. Will be interesting to see what happens when we sign up for our Thai classes and they start processing the paperwork to deliver our "guaranteed visas". We're unemployed/self employed for the year we're planning to stay, but if they make an issue of it we could certainly show them a healthy bank balance...

Thanks for the link. I'm going to forward it to pro language, where we're planning to study, and see what they say.

Keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand