First house call by immigration

Non Thais are supposed to report to a police station / receive a police visit.once a year. Nobody does this. The first time I went for a 'marriage visa' I was sent back for another document on a doubtful pretext, the next day we received a visit, no big deal and he wouldn't even accept a drink. He did visit the local shop first and find a witness. I photographed him.

I get an annual visit from our local plod.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When Immigration came to inspect myself/wife and house we had everything they needed. Plus in a brown envelope 3,000 baht we were told was the norm for such visits. I was disgusted with this but I had to bite my tongue as this is suppossedly normal to happen. The funny thing was I can understand some Thai, the Immigration officer was making jokes about me not being able to speak alot of Thai. My witness who is a retired teacher and my ex-boss who can speak English then asked him why can he not speak English as he is an Immigration officer. All I can say is he shut up very quickly and left with a big wai!

BS ---------you just made that up !

If I am "mistaken " then you had better name the Immigration office and the officers involved !

No BS. When we were at the immigration office in Nan, the female officer who processed our documents said to my wife in Thai " have 3,000 baht in an envelope for the officers that will come to do the house check". I asked why and she said it was for petrol/food allowance. I was not impressed with this but this being TIT I complied relutatly. I am not the only farang that this office has done this to. I have no reason to lie about something that has happened to me just for shits and giggles!
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info Rob.

I was considering going for an extension based on marriage but as we spend a lot of time out of Thailand, could that cause trouble if they want to visit but we are away - on holiday again?

I had a retirement visa extension but let it lapse because we would leave and not return for 8-9 months.

I thought it would be easy to get a 90 day O visa but, I live in Spain and I'm a Brit!

The best option for me is to drive the 350Km to Gibraltar and get the visa in person.

My wife cannot enter Gib - no visa LOL.

So the costs are stupid.

700Km drive = €70

Overnight stay say €100

Visa cost insignificant

So €170 = 7,500Baht

With the cost of the visa, I guess no change from 10K Baht or more if you add eating.

The marriage extension only ties up 400,000 Baht so that is very attractive but the down sides seem to be many.

After the application we would get a 30 say provisional extension and the full year extension would take a month before Bangkok decide if it will be granted or not.

Then there are the house visits.....

On balance, maybe I should have kept the retirement visa, it expired 26th May.

I just want to have an easy time to come go without too much hassle.

An alternative is get a tourist waiver on arrival - 30 days. Then a 90 day O visa.

20 days or so before its expiry convert it to a retirement extension.

However, an expiry date in April - May would be good.

Later than that would mean having to stay until its too hot or even rainy.

Anyone have any helpful thoughts?

Thanks for the info Rob.

I was considering going for an extension based on marriage but as we spend a lot of time out of Thailand, could that cause trouble if they want to visit but we are away - on holiday again?

I had a retirement visa extension but let it lapse because we would leave and not return for 8-9 months.

I thought it would be easy to get a 90 day O visa but, I live in Spain and I'm a Brit!

The best option for me is to drive the 350Km to Gibraltar and get the visa in person.

So the costs are stupid.

700Km drive = €70

Overnight stay say €100

Visa cost insignificant

So €170 = 7,500Baht

With the cost of the visa, I guess no change from 10K Baht or more if you add eating.

The marriage extension only ties up 400,000 Baht so that is very attractive but the down sides seem to be many.

After the application we would get a 30 say provisional extension and the full year extension would take a month before Bangkok decide if it will be granted or not.

An alternative is get a tourist waiver on arrival - 30 days. Then a 90 day O visa.

The norm is only a visit for first extension during the 30 day under consideration period. If by chance they did decide to do another visit it would also be during the 30 day period. They do not do random checks.

You always can get a 60 day extension to visit your wife of any type of entry.

Getting the one year extension based upon marriage is not that difficult. I can say that because I am on my 6th extension.

You could do a conversion of a 30 day entry to a 90 day non immigrant visa entry and then get the extension at immigration.

If you want a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage you can get one in Savannakhet Laos with no financial proof.

• Like 1

Don't worry about a possible immigration visit.

First of all it is not sure if they come to check.

I live here over 24 years and never had a check.

Some other people had one check during their first extension.

Nobody expect from you to stay at home so that they come around.

• Like 1

I only know of one time when they came around while we were living in our condo in Bangkok many years ago. We were out at the time but they seemed satisfied by a talk with the reception staff at the condo. Probably not a bad thing we were on good terms with the staff.

We live 55km from Chiang Rai these days, so I don’t expect any visits.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Rob.

So the costs are stupid.

700Km drive = €70

Overnight stay say €100

Visa cost insignificant

So €170 = 7,500Baht

The norm is only a visit for first extension during the 30 day under consideration period. If by chance they did decide to do another visit it would also be during the 30 day period. They do not do random checks.

Getting the one year extension based upon marriage is not that difficult. I can say that because I am on my 6th extension.

You could do a conversion of a 30 day entry to a 90 day non immigrant visa entry and then get the extension at immigration.

If you want a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage you can get one in Savannakhet Laos with no financial proof.

Hi,

That might be it last week i asked for an other extension so this check falls in that 30 days under consideration.

• Like 1

I only know of one time when they came around while we were living in our condo in Bangkok many years ago. We were out at the time but they seemed satisfied by a talk with the reception staff at the condo. Probably not a bad thing we were on good terms with the staff.
We live 55km from Chiang Rai these days, so I don’t expect any visits.

They called my wife a day before to arrange the meeting.

Thanks for the info Rob.

So the costs are stupid.

700Km drive = €70

Overnight stay say €100

Visa cost insignificant

So €170 = 7,500Baht

Thanks for that.

Now tell me, on what visa can I get a car & motorcycle driving License?

I thought the minimum was a 90 day non-o.

Edit

I should add our house is now in Samut Sakhon district.

Immigration and the amphor there are not used to westerners.

The amphor will not give me a yellow tambian baan, I presume because they don't know how to do it.

My license which expired in November was obtained in CM.

Also the conversion of a 30 day tourist to 90 day non-0 and then the retirement extension.

It all seemed a lot easier there.

Edited by laislica

Thanks for that.

Now tell me, on what visa can I get a car & motorcycle driving License?

I thought the minimum was a 90 day non-o.

Edit

I should add our house is now in Samut Sakhon district.

Immigration and the amphor there are not used to westerners.

The amphor will not give me a yellow tambian baan, I presume because they don't know how to do it.

My license which expired in November was obtained in CM.

Also the conversion of a 30 day tourist to 90 day non-0 and then the retirement extension.

It all seemed a lot easier there.

It is possible to get a drivers license with a tourist visa. Many have done it. See: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/27462-applying-for-1-5-year-thai-driving-licences/

For info on getting a yellow house book see this topic. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/156485-yellow-tabien-bahn/

I suspect that immigration in Samut Sakhon will not be not be able to do the conversion. You will have to go Bangkok for that.

If you are in Spain now I suggest you get a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage from the embassy in Madrid or one of the honorary consulates. Info here from embassy website: http://www.thaiembassy.org/madrid/contents/images/text_editor/files/Visado%20de%20Non%20Immigrant%20O%20-%20Family%20(new).pdf

• Like 1

Thanks Joe, They have replied and as I as a resident in Spain, I must supply a notorised copy of my NIE (Spanish foreigners ID).

Without this I would not be able to apply in Spain, only a UK location.

Single entry is fine.

Here is a Google translation of the guidance form:-

Non-Immigrant Visa "O" - Family
For spouse or child of a Thai national
This visa allows a stay of 90 days in Thailand without interruption. When leaving the country , the visa becomes invalid . Once the visa is issued , it must be used within 90 days. At age 90 days, please contact the Thai Immigration รน to extend stay.
The documents to be submitted to obtain this visa are:
Original passport or travel document with a validity exceeding 6 months.
Application Form duly completed and signed visa.
2 passport size photographs on photo paper , front without sunglasses and bareheaded (taken at most 6 months before ) .
Photocopy of Marriage Certificate or Birth Certificate (as applicable ), which indicates the link with the Thai national
Photocopy of passport or identity card of the Thai mentioned, signed by the holder
In case of a minor , the form must be signed by both parents . In addition , you must provide a photocopy of the marriage certificate and the ID of both parents .
60 euros / 140 euros or input / multiple ( CASH PAYMENT ONLY ) . The grant of multiple entry visa depends on the consideration of the Consul .
Citizens legally resident in Spain but with no Spanish nationality , must also provide a photocopy of รน card ( NIE) legalized by the police or Notary , to ensure the authenticity of the photocopy . If you do not have legal residence in Spain , you can NOT apply for a visa at this consulate.
0 NOTE : The citizens legally residing in Andorra, but of a different nationality , must provide a photocopy of the card Andorran legal residence by the police or by a notary guaranteeing the authenticity of the photocopy .
If the documentation is correct , the visa will be granted within 2-3 working days.
If unable to submit the required documentation , you can send the documentation by MRW with the service " Delivery and Collection " . In this case, the applicant is responsible for managing the delivery and collection of documentation with MRW , the embassy does not send . MRW can manage the cash rate .

However, the Application form wants the flight details so I sent this email question:-

On the visa application form, it asks when I intend to travel to Thailand.
I have entered January 2014 (see attached pdf) because I have not booked the tickets yet as it is the holiday season and I am not sure how long it will take to get the visa granted and returned to me.
Is this acceptable?

The cost of this with MRW and the fee will be about €75-80, so by far the least expensive possibility for me.

When its all done n dusted, I`ll send the final details cos who knows, it might someone else.

Thanks Joe,

They replied after presumably reading the part completed app form and said OK.

So I completed all the required docs, even the certified copy of my NIE and took them to the shipping agent.

With the new year upon us, it will probably take a week or so.

Thanks for your support, really really helpful.

On another note:

Would it be useful if I make a list of what needs to be done (by a Brit who lives in Spain) to get a Thai wife an EEA Family 90 day visa for Spain?

I could then show the procedure needed, once in Spain to get a Thai registered as a resident.

Once this is done she can travel anywhere in Europe (EXCEPT the UK) without the need for a specific visa, residency is enough.

The ID needs renewal every 5 years but that should be a routine and quick process.

Such detail as that would have been a great help when we started along that path.

I havent written anything yet but I would make it a new year project if you would be able to use the info.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Joe, Happy New Year.

Got the Non Immigration/O visa.- Enter before 29 Mar 2014 but no number of days allowed to stay specified.

I assume that the immigration officer will add a permitted to stay stamp and dates.

Now then, assuming we arrive near the end of Jan, I'll get 90 days to stay.

Within about 20 days I can go for a retirement extension based on 800K in the bank for 2 months,

Question is, when can I leave?

If the extension is granted on say the 20th and the visa expires on the 29th

I assume I must wait and not depart until the extension is actually in force.

I need to get this right for air tickets.

I don't think I need a multiple entry permit.

The extension would be single entry so shortly after it is operating; we would leave the Kingdom and

return once more before renewing the extension in 2015 and leaving again,

noting that the cash in the bank must have been there for three months this time.

You cannot apply for your extension until the last 30 days (45 some offices) of your 90 day entry and have the money in the bank for 60 days. If you wanted to make a trip out before then you could get a single re-entry permit for your 90 day entry but you would have to return to do your extension before it expires.

You can then get a single re-entry permit as soon as you finish your extension application and they stamp it in your passport.

You could leave on that day if you wanted to.

• Like 1

At the time of my first extension, I was told a visit was required, but if they received a photo of the village head and a statement from him that we lived where we claimed we did, within two weeks, no visit would be necessary.

We sent the photo and statement.

They never came to visit.

No problem.

At the time of my first extension, I was told a visit was required, but if they received a photo of the village head and a statement from him that we lived where we claimed we did, within two weeks, no visit would be necessary.

We sent the photo and statement.

They never came to visit.

No problem.

Perhaps having a yellow book might help..........smile.png

I'm not in this situation but I just want to say that having immigration in your home taking pictures is an utter disgrace.

Its a requirement, i can understand that they want to weed out fake marriages for visa's

And it is not a practice confined to Thai Immigration either: their British counterparts, for example, insisted on my wife providing copious numbers of photos of us together along with where we would be staying in the UK as part of her visitor visa application 5 years ago.

• Like 1

When Immigration came to inspect myself/wife and house we had everything they needed. Plus in a brown envelope 3,000 baht we were told was the norm for such visits. I was disgusted with this but I had to bite my tongue as this is suppossedly normal to happen. The funny thing was I can understand some Thai, the Immigration officer was making jokes about me not being able to speak alot of Thai. My witness who is a retired teacher and my ex-boss who can speak English then asked him why can he not speak English as he is an Immigration officer. All I can say is he shut up very quickly and left with a big wai!

You don't have to pay anything.

• Like 1

BS ---------you just made that up !

If I am "mistaken " then you had better name the Immigration office and the officers involved !

No BS. When we were at the immigration office in Nan, the female officer who processed our documents said to my wife in Thai " have 3,000 baht in an envelope for the officers that will come to do the house check". I asked why and she said it was for petrol/food allowance. I was not impressed with this but this being TIT I complied relutatly. I am not the only farang that this office has done this to. I have no reason to lie about something that has happened to me just for shits and giggles!

You were not impressed but paid anyhow.

You cannot apply for your extension until the last 30 days (45 some offices) of your 90 day entry and have the money in the bank for 60 days. If you wanted to make a trip out before then you could get a single re-entry permit for your 90 day entry but you would have to return to do your extension before it expires.

You can then get a single re-entry permit as soon as you finish your extension application and they stamp it in your passport.

Thanks, so as soon as the extension is granted I could leave and everything would be OK for a return before the extension expires.

For me, the ideal time to to apply for the extension would be about the end of January.

This would allow us to arrive before or after Christmas and stay until the weather warms up at home.

Only always needing to be there before the ext expires.

My wife thinks that on arrival, the immigration officer will ask how long (up to 90 days) I want to stay.

If that's the case, I could ask for 30 days and extend in February.

Near perfect.

You may remember I had a retirement ext good to the end of last May which I let expire, to save money on visas.

However, what a mistake to make!

The cost of a Non Immigrant/O visa is €60 to the Embassy in Madrid plus the courier charges of about €50 plus the cost of a notarised copy of my (Foreigners) Spanish ID about €11 and that is the cheapest way, a personal visit is much more due to the 600Km distance, hotel costs etc.

A single entry extension costs about 1,900 baht, a letter from the bank, a baht bus trip to town - job done.

Since my wife is now registered as a resident of Spain, her visa (Spanish Foreigners ID) is good for 5 years!

Wouldn't it be nice if the Thai authorities would reciprocate?

Thanks, so as soon as the extension is granted I could leave and everything would be OK for a return before the extension expires.

For me, the ideal time to to apply for the extension would be about the end of January.

This would allow us to arrive before or after Christmas and stay until the weather warms up at home.

Only always needing to be there before the ext expires.

My wife thinks that on arrival, the immigration officer will ask how long (up to 90 days) I want to stay.

If that's the case, I could ask for 30 days and extend in February.

Near perfect.

You may remember I had a retirement ext good to the end of last May which I let expire, to save money on visas.

However, what a mistake to make!

The cost of a Non Immigrant/O visa is €60 to the Embassy in Madrid plus the courier charges of about €50 plus the cost of a notarised copy of my (Foreigners) Spanish ID about €11 and that is the cheapest way, a personal visit is much more due to the 600Km distance, hotel costs etc.

A single entry extension costs about 1,900 baht, a letter from the bank, a baht bus trip to town - job done.

Since my wife is now registered as a resident of Spain, her visa (Spanish Foreigners ID) is good for 5 years!

Wouldn't it be nice if the Thai authorities would reciprocate?

You will get a 90 day entry. The immigration officer will not give you a choice.

• Like 1