New rules for retirement visa in Chiang Mai

happyme

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If not, I don't get the use of this label, NON RE. Well I guess I get it if it's just an INTERNAL code.

Is this common or one office?

I have never seen any immigration documentation talking about an RE visa either.

The NON-RE refers to the RE-ENTRY permit, nothing to do with VISAs. Some offices write it and some don't. Previous topic regarding NON-RE

• Like 2

Thai embassy says for retirement you would get an OA, which is a multiple entry one year and cost 200 USD.

Yeah? And they're wrong. That of course is only ONE option.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

OK, I re-read it, and it looks like I could get a 90 day single entry OA for 80 USD, But I could also get a double entry 60 for the same price; 40 x 2. Which would be better and/or cheaper if i was going to get a retirement extension in CNX and was planning on wiring the 800K to my account with bkkbank? How far from the end of the 90 would I need to apply, and how loong would I need to have my money there for prior to that? THX.

Edited by Thighlander

Are people talking about getting a Retirement Visa or extending an existing one.

two different animals.

"Retirement visas" are never offered at immigration offices in Thailand -- period.

Soooo, what you are saying is the the visa I've had in my passport for the last ten years marked "retirement 2:22" isn't a true visa....I've been ripped off big time...someones head will roll for this! thumbsup.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 1

why is it so hard for a foreigner with their own money to retire in thailand? its not like we are going to use their government to get money or take one of their jobs etc. Come to australia they will take anyone no questions asked and you can go on the dole for years, get government housing and then go straight on the pension and live happily ever after. Its a joke

Well to be honest with you it is a joke. But don't tell the Australians that they are just a joke.cheesy.gif

Hard to believe but yes Thailand is more sensable. wai2.gif

Nice try muffinzman, but no you can't "just" come in etc etc! To get PR you've got to be in a relationship for 1 year and then spend 2 years in Oz or 5 years in a relationship outside of Oz with everything carefully documented, when you submit!

If you're talking about boat people well! That's another story.

Perhaps Wikipedia's entry on a Visa (document) will help some people understand the difference between a "visa", "entry", and "permission to stay until". It even touches on the period of validity for most visas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travel_visa

EDIT: That is in addition to the information available in the ThaiVisa forums under "Thai visas, residency, and work permits"

Edited by hml367

Are people talking about getting a Retirement Visa or extending an existing one.

two different animals.

"Retirement visas" are never offered at immigration offices in Thailand -- period.

Soooo, what you are saying is the the visa I've had in my passport for the last ten years marked "retirement 2:22" isn't a true visa....I've been ripped off big time...someones head will roll for this! thumbsup.gifcheesy.gif

You'd need to supply more details, ideally a picture to confirm exactly what you have. See my list from before. We can't read minds here.

Edited by Jingthing

two different animals.

Oh yes the are!!

Supply some evidence. If you mean O visas granted in Thailand to then apply for retirement extensions yes that is done but the O visa is simply an O visa not a retirement visa.

Call it what you want. I had mine transferred into a new passport in August.

the first Stamp says Visas on the top and in it it says NON OA

Directly below that it has two other stamps one says NON OA and the other one says NON RE

On the following page it has a copy of my last permission to stay. That I had received in 2012 it says retirement. On the bottom of the page it says retirement Aug.14 2013 that was the day I had the transfer from the old passport to the new one done.That page says nothing about NON OA or NON RE . On the following page I have my renewal of extension.

It says nothing about NON OA or NON RE. It says in big letters retirement.

I have given you all the information in my passport up to date. so as you can see you may call it what you will but if you say passport retirement even the ones who study the code and can quote it will know what you mean. Apparently there is three types of retirement passports all needing a 90 day check in so what is the big deal about the correct terminology. Some of us have better things to do than study the code. To go in to the immigration office and see that they call it and stamp it as retirement. Good enough for me.

RETIREMENT in big letters on a retirement extension is common. I've got those.

I am not familiar with the term NON RE (which would be a visa, not an extension).

If you get a single entry O visa outside Thailand for the purpose of getting annual retirement extension in Thailand, that is just a regular NON O visa, not an NON RE.

An O-A visa is an O-A visa (also a non-immigrant visa).

Is the O visa some people get in Thailand as part of the two step process (second step the extension) labeled a NON RE?

That would make sense to me if it is.

If not, I don't get the use of this label, NON RE. Well I guess I get it if it's just an INTERNAL code.

Is this common or one office?

I have never seen any immigration documentation talking about an RE visa either.

None of it makes any sense to me. Then again it dosen't have to. I go in every 90 days with my form filled in get a new slip with a date on it to come back. Once a year fill in another form get some copies of things go in and they stamp it good for another year and it says retirement on it.

I would suggest that instead of fighting other peoples experiences and what it says in their passport you give them the web address to look it up for them selves.

I presume there is an English copy out there. That is what I was given when I got mine in Canada. I then went out and got what it said. No problem well a little problem they wanted to hold my passport for three days. I said OK went back in three days and away I went.

forgot to mention sent from my dying HP desk computer

Edited by northernjohn

So you got "yours" in Canada. Probably an O-A ("Long Stay") visa you started on but you didn't say so it could have been an O visa, not O-A. The instructions for an O-A visa in Canada are one part of the picture. Anyone wanting an O-A in Canada would be looking there on the Thai embassy/consulate websites. That would be the place to go for the subset of people wanting O-A visas in Canada. Not everyone will want an O-A though at all in Canada or anywhere. O-A visas are never required to retire in Thailand. Getting one is only an option. If this is a "fight" I don't see it that way at all. It's more of a POV that supports clarity in communication to help the community here get more precise advise about their immigration issues.

Sure would give the web address in Canada to someone who CLEARLY says they want an O-A visa from Canada. But if they just say they want to retire in Thailand, that website would NOT be informing them of the bigger picture -- their OTHER options for retiring in Thailand that don't ever require an O-A visa. That's what people can get here for free.

The question about RE code was already answered. The RE has nothing to do with retirement. I should have guessed that but live and learn.

Edited by Jingthing

For the 800k bank letter...I know money at least 3 months ahead of application...is it a form letter done by the bank? Does the letter say anything about how long the money has to stay in the bank?

CB

Two months for the FIRST retirement extension, and three for all subsequent ones.

Yes it's a form letter.

No, I don't believe anything about seasoning in the letter.

The immigration officer determines that by looking at your bank book or statements.

• 4 weeks later...

I went today for my annual retirement visa.My appointment was pre-booked for 10.30.My name was called at 10.50 and an officer with two rings on his shoulder looked at my paperwork.Only copies of all the pages in my passport,the standard form with photo and a letter from the consul confirming income.No other paperwork was required as regarding where I live.He did the necessary stamping, filled a form in which I signed and took my money.He then passed my passport to two young ladies behind him and three minutes later gave me back my change and passport.Job done and I was out by 11.10.I guess he was a senior officer and was able to authorize my visa there and then.Twenty minutes the whole thing took not bad I think.Maybe they are really getting their act together.

My wife did ask him if and when immigration would be moving to a larger office and he replied that the government had no money and would be at least 3 or 4 years or maybe longer.

There are NO new general rules, contrary to the thread title. There is, however, a general caveat because there is a regrettable habit of too many foreigners in Chiang Mai to cheat and play games with immigration rules so an immigration officer might ask for some additional "proofs." That's not so hard if you have them.

If you have followed this situation over the years, the focus on extra proofs is primarily upon those here under the Thai marriage provision. Immigration is wary of "marriages of convenience." For example, a male foreigner pays a bargirl to pose as a wife. This sort of dodge is attempted in a lot of countries, not just Thailand. Otherwise, some consular income letters --- depending on the home country --- might be a farcical.

But thanks, Nicksai37. Right on!

You obviously had your act together (and, readers --- not to get into the detail --- just read the regs. You really don't need ALL pages of your passport). You can access them by reading appropriate sites on ThaiVisa. And you can check the Immigration Police orders on the internet. No, you do not need a lawyer!

Chiang Mai immigration has really improved its service. You don't need an appointment to get this service, so people should not panic about that, but --- understandably --- you'll have to wait some. Take a book!

It would be nice, since a new facility is not in immediate plans, if the Immigration Department in Chiang Mai would cut a deal with the restaurant across the street for parking, not that a stroll from the airport or from Airport Plaza is all that unpleasant when the very small lot at the office is full. It is brief walk, but that restaurant parking area is basically empty during working hours.

Otherwise, yes, all this can be an annual pain in the rear, but it is a small price to be in your paradise!

Edited by Mapguy
  • Like 2

Thanks Mapguy for your comments.Last year my Thai wife asked if they needed all pages of my passport to be copied and the young female officer who normally sits on the right of the office said yes.My Thai wife who is never wrong (ha ha) wrote down all that is needed for a visa.I really think that it changes every year and they will dream up some new requirement next year.

Oh by the way when I arrived at immigration the car park was totally full.Then some man in a brown uniform waved his hands and told me to reverse back.He then took some traffic cones away from the front door and let me park! Wow today was my lucky day !

Went today for my annual retirement extension and had the same experience as "nicksal37" had yesterday.

However, I didn't copy ALL the pages in my passport, just photo page, entry stamp tied to the TM 6, TM6 card, original visa and most recent extension. Didn't submit copies of all the annual extensions between the original entry and the 2013 annual extension.

I used a bank letter and copy of every page of bank passbooks. Brought the bank passbooks, of course, but he didn't look at them, just glanced at the copies.

Also brought letter from condo manager and copies of ID condo owner and copies of the blue book(?) yellow book (?) -- don't know since I don't own the place -- it's whatever the condo manager gave me when I asked for a letter for immigration. The Immigration officer glanced at these documents, seemed to waiver about whether he wanted them and, in the end, put them in the stack of documents he kept. Didn't return anything to me of the documents I gave him.

Minimal conversation -- he noted my birthday was yesterday, asked my phone number (I'd missed writing it on one form) and complemented me on my Thai language skills since I conducted the entire process in Thai. Easy to do when he didn't make any small talk, chit-chat!

I then got a queue number for a re-entry permit, having already filled out the TM 8 form. But you have to submit a copy of your current extension stamp, which means you can't make a copy until after you get the extension. No line at the copy shop, which was good, because my queue number was next when I returned to the Immigration waiting room.

Incidentally, the TM8 form asks "My previous visa for Thailand is in the category of .... (non-imm, tourist, transit, others) issued at, date, month, year" They didn't want me to list that original non-imm O visa that was issued at the Chicago consulate back in 2008. They wanted me to list the extension of permission to stay I'd just received at their office 10 minutes earlier. See, even their forms are confusing about terminology differences between visa and extension of permission to remain.

So, to summarize: Arrived at 10:15 for a 10:30 appointment. They called me into the back for the interview at 10:45 pm. I was on my way, deciding where I was going to have lunch, by 11:30 am, having obtained my annual extension AND a re-entry permit.

They really do seem to be getting their act together at Immigration. Had some empty seats in the waiting room. Staff was smiling. Short or no lines at the copy shop. The Burmese where in their own processing area, with adequate chairs and good signage, in Burmese, for them. Looks like the food vendors are catering to the Burmese customers, now, though. Would be nice if they reopened the coffee shop, but perhaps with the new speedy service at Immigration they found their business suffered at the coffee shop.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 2

Excellent post from NancyL. The translation of the forms from Thai could be better, and their design improved.

There definitely is some ambiguity regarding the Re-Entry Permit application form (TM8) on page 2. It asks for "My previous visa for Thailand..." What, indeed, is needed is the date the last permission to stay (extension) was obtained --- and you need to run to the photocopier to get a copy of that page, just as NancyL did, if the extension is obtained the same day. Otherwise, if you have obtained your extension previously (Not all people get a Re-Entry permit the same day), be sure to bring a photocopy of the appropriate passport page and enter the same date on the form.

There can be two other possible points of confusion. On the same form (TM8) is a request for the date "I arrived in Thailand..." That date is always the last time you entered the country, and you need a photocopy of the passport page with that stamp also. The last date requested on the form is always the expiration date of the current extension of the permission to stay.

By the way, you must also have a copy of the passport page with the immigration officer stamp received the last time you entered the country every time you go for a 90-Day registration. Sometimes it has been called a "permit to stay up until" stamp, or something to that effect.

Also, by the way, I believe that Re-Entry permits are now obtainable at all major border crossing points, never mind what might have been experienced a long time ago. I suspect that might not be true (or easy to do) in a hurry at all crossing points. Someone might be better informed about that, or know of specific border immigration stations that now don't do this. If you don't have one, of course, your existing permission to stay in Thailand, for example, for purposes of retirement, is nullified and the application process has to begin anew. If you want to relax about that, plan ahead like NancyL did. It only costs 1000 bhat for a single Re-Entry permit and peace of mind in case you have to rush away because of an emergency or last-minute need to travel abroad.

Edited by Mapguy

I would still like to know whether there are any exemptions from 90 day visits for retirement visas eg have a house book.

Secondly, what is the purpose & advantage of having a house book (yellow)?

I would still like to know whether there are any exemptions from 90 day visits for retirement visas eg have a house book.

No exemption for 90 day reporting.

The house book is useful for obtaining a driving license or buying a vehicle without having to get the certificate of residence from immigration.

• Like 1

Thank you "onthedarkside",

I have researched this "yellow book" matter via a search engine = useful as you describe.

Apparently, it is useful for opening a bank a/c & for a driving licence too - although I did not need it - I never had one at that time!

All the info is already in ThaiVisa, if you can locate it.

For eligible players, it is obtainable at your local Amphur Office.

Went a couple of days ago in the afternoon for my 90 day report and was looked after by the lovely girl with the curled hair. In and out in 15 minutes. If only public servants - anywhere - could be as efficient and pleasant as she is life would be a lot easier when dealing bureaucracy.

I went to get a yellow book, recently with my Thai wife, and after being grilled by the head man about "why did we need it ? blah .blah ,blah.

He also asked my wife a lot of personal questions which he didn't need to know .

We decided to proceed and filled in the forms but on the second visit we were told by the girl on the front desk, very clearly, that we should place some money in an envelope with our documentation.

We walked away..........Yes a yellow book is handy but now CM Imm has its act together I can live without it.

I reported to CM Immigration today for my yearly renewal of my one year retirement visa. I had an online reservation. At my allotted time, I approached the information desk to let the information lady know I was there. She ushered me to a desk in the back room. I presented the yearly application, along with a letter from the consulate, the required copies of my passport, one photo, and 1900 baht to the immigration officer. Twelve minutes later the immigration officer had completed my application.

I returned to the copy machine people to get the required copies of my passport again, and waited for my number to be called for my multi entry stamp. Usually, that is a short wait but this time it took an hour to complete the process. Total time spent for my yearly visa renewal and multi entry stamp was one hour and twelve minutes. Today was the most painless immigration visit I have had in the last five years. I look forward to the day immigration does away with the nonsensical 90 day reporting, and considers issuing a five or ten year retirement visa. :-)

Absolutely, CMNightRider, the 90-day registration is a pain in the tushie and a five-year or longer extended permission to stay would indeed be welcome. Underlying the hesitation in changing the requirements is a problem with foreigners taking advantage of the liberal Thai immigration rules, the discussion of which probably underwrote the initial success of ThaiVisa.com. Now, of course, it is the entertainment value of reading TVCM that keeps ThaiVisa.com profitable! biggrin.png

• Like 1

I completed all my paperwork for my annual retirement extension visa early today so thought I would drop by Immigration (1:30PM) to see if I could get seen. Nope. Miss Curly said come back tomorrow morning at 7AM. The place was really busy including all parking being mostly full. No lines at the photo copy shop tho.

Doug