Thai interior minister shuts the door on delaying elections

Lite Beer

What I don't understand is the EC told the government to delay elections.. I assume that means that Yinglucks caretaker status would be extended as the country needs a PM at all times.. Yinglucks government responded by saying they do not see a legal way to delay it, what is the ECs response to that? how is the election delayed? If the EC continues to demand a delay but does not provide a legal way to do it, then that would seem to discredit them..

According to the Thai constitution if a Royal decree is obtained due to civil unrest etc., the elections can be legally delayed for 30 days, but that is it.

YL's government stands to gain a fairly good amount in 2014 in combined foreign aid if they remain democratically elected. Of course, I am not inferring that money might be on her and Thaksin's minds in refusing to delay, but ....

please explain.

who is providing the money and how much.

ps here's a hint, all foreign aid budgets have been slashed and there havn't really been any new programs announced for Thailand. Thailand dioesn't get much in aid anyway.

The majority of foreign aid in the world comes from the USA, EU, Japan, Canada &Australia. None of the aforementioned countries except Japan can be shown to have ever bribed in the past 25 years. It is a serious illegal act and the law is enforced.

Foreign aid is not bribery. It is completely legal and a number of countries provide it. How can you confuse it with bribery?

What I don't understand is the EC told the government to delay elections.. I assume that means that Yinglucks caretaker status would be extended as the country needs a PM at all times.. Yinglucks government responded by saying they do not see a legal way to delay it, what is the ECs response to that? how is the election delayed? If the EC continues to demand a delay but does not provide a legal way to do it, then that would seem to discredit them..
According to the Thai constitution if a Royal decree is obtained due to civil unrest etc., the elections can be legally delayed for 30 days, but that is it.

YL's government stands to gain a fairly good amount in 2014 in combined foreign aid if they remain democratically elected. Of course, I am not inferring that money might be on her and Thaksin's minds in refusing to delay, but ....

please explain.

ps here's a hint, all foreign aid budgets have been slashed and there havn't really been any new programs announced for Thailand. Thailand dioesn't get much in aid anyway.

The majority of foreign aid in the world comes from the USA, EU, Japan, Canada &Australia. None of the aforementioned countries except Japan can be shown to have ever bribed in the past 25 years. It is a serious illegal act and the law is enforced.

Foreign aid is not bribery. It is completely legal and a number of countries provide it. How can you confuse it with bribery?

Geriatric kid, I have re-read your post and think I now understand your comment. Separate out the military aid as decisions are made by the military, not politicians. That leaves the rest of the aid, which is controlled by politicians. You have been in thailand long enough to know that fees are normally involved. I am told that the current rate with this government is higher than before.

please explain.

Foreign aid by it's very nature IS a bribe. Look at the all the foreign aid the U.S. gives to countries like Pakistan, Egypt, etc. It's to get them to do what they want,

Maybe they can arrange a 4 am out of Parliamentary hours vote! that seems to cater for all anomalies and make them legal. Oops I forgot,that was what caused the Peoples Revolt/Insurrection,and brought down the present Government.

The EC could be playing for time! Is it the Constitutional court? that have still to decide if those that voted for the constitutional changes (PTP) to be banned or not!

What would happen, would they be banned before or after the election? Seems pointless holding an election if the PTP party is then banned!

should they return the power to the whole country on the 2nd february or give it right now to a looney suthep... what a dilema!

The PTP have no intention of allowing the whole country to have power of self determination. The top five families want it all for themselves and will stop at nothing 'till they get it. Thier version of reform is likely to be window dressing.

Will Suthep be any better?

I think so but I also think Thailand has a long way to go before the majority of the people can truly have some say in how this country should be governed.

should they return the power to the whole country on the 2nd february or give it right now to a looney suthep... what a dilema!

The PTP have no intention of allowing the whole country to have power of self determination. The top five families want it all for themselves and will stop at nothing 'till they get it. Thier version of reform is likely to be window dressing.

Will Suthep be any better?

I think so but I also think Thailand has a long way to go before the majority of the people can truly have some say in how this country should be governed.

coffee1.gif

in a normal democracy, you can not come and grab the power.... PTP did never make a coup... let the people make their own choice.

but you are free to express your opinion, because this is a democracy...