Pheu Thai launches 'Lights-On' pro-election campaign

webfact

Pheu Thai Launches 'Lights-On' Pro-Election Campaign
By Khaosod Online

pheu.jpg
An anti-government protester firing slingshot at police near Thai-Japanese Stadium, 26 December 2013

BANGKOK: -- Pheu Thai Party has invited the Thais to turn on their cars′ front light at daytime to express their support for the upcoming general election.

“I want everybody to turn their vehicle’s light on, either a car or a motorcycle, in day time, to protest against the action of Mr. Suthep and PCAD," said spokesperson of the ruling party, Mr. Prompong Nopparit, referring to Mr. Suthep Thaugsuban, leader of the People′s Committee for Absolute Democracy With the King As Head of State.

Protesters led by PCAD attempted to storm the Thai-Japanese Stadium in Bangkok′s Dindaeng district yesterday in the bid to disrupt the election registration process held inside the stadium. The situation quickly escalated, and by the day′s end over 90 people have been injured and one policeman shot dead by unidentified individuals.

The PCAD have rejected the new election called by Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, demanding instead for the creation of an unelected ′People′s Council′ to rule the nation as a transitional government.

However, Mr. Prompong said the PCAD′s campaign of "civil disobedience" to derail the election is "abusive" and "violating the nation′s law, without regard for the effect they are laying on other people or the country′s image".

After protesters allied with the PCAD briefly closed down the busy Vibhavadi-Rangsit Road during the rush hour yesterday, many commuters have also complained to Pheu Thai Party that they had faced great difficulty traveling on that route, Mr. Prompong said in a press conference.

“Mr. Suthep [Thaugsuban] would like to reform the politics to solve the country’s problem, but he is taking captive of the country, harming people by closing down the road”, said Mr. Prompong.

The country has been bitterly damaged by Mr. Suthep and his followers, Mr. Prompong added.

“I wish Mr. Suthep supporters could see what he has done. Their actions are becoming more savage, and disobeying any law. I would like to condemn their actions, for thinking that they are above others, above the law”, added Pheu Thai Spokesperson.

“I called out to everybody to show your despise for their actions, such as via online media, against the lack of maturity of one leader who do not respect the rights of all Thai citizen”, Mr. Prompong said, suggesting that one way to show the Thais′ disagreement with the PCAD′s anti-election campaign could keep their vehicles′ lights on during the day.

He said he would personally adopt this measure, too, and he asked those who agree with him to turn the lights on until the protesters disband.

“I hope Mr. Suthep would stop ruining the happiness of all Thai people, and stop ruining the country’s image during New Year’s Celebration”, Mr. Prompong said.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNE9ERXlPRGs0TlE9PQ==

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2013-12-27

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

" Pheu Thai Party has invited the Thais to turn on their cars′ front light at daytime to express their support for the upcoming general election."

Erm, won't that drain the battery? I don't drive so could be wrong about this. Does seem to be a stupid idea nonetheless. Lights on but no ones home is a phrase that springs to mind.

I've been put right on the battery thing. Don't know why but thought that if left on while not driving then the battery drained. Cheers.

Edited by Bluespunk

Problem with Suthep and the yellow shirts is that they are arrogant enough to think they represent the whole of Thailand and Thailand revolves around them.

I wish this 'lights on' idea could wake this zombified yellow group up, but it probably won't. They are too far gone.

• Like 2

Problem with Suthep and the yellow shirts is that they are arrogant enough to think they represent the whole of Thailand and Thailand revolves around them.

I wish this 'lights on' idea could wake this zombified yellow group up, but it probably won't. They are too far gone.

You are funny!

Don't you think we first should have a look at how many will switch their lights on, before we say Suthep has to wake up ?

" Pheu Thai Party has invited the Thais to turn on their cars′ front light at daytime to express their support for the upcoming general election."

Erm, won't that drain the battery? I don't drive so could be wrong about this. Does seem to be a stupid idea nonetheless. Lights on but no ones home is a phrase that springs to mind.

Not drain- engine revving keeps the battery up. one good thing they would not have thought of is it is a good idea for being seen, safety wise.

your last sentence sums it up, not got all their chairs in one room, bungalow -nothing upstairs, a pheasant flown away,

Ya can't put nowt where there aint nowt. Similar to the greedy animal who put his hand through the railings got a fist full of nuts, here now is the outcome, the animal cannot take away the hand. this sums up this greedy government at the present.

• Like 1

Too bad, because it already looks like "lights out" for Yingluck and PTP.

Why would you thinks that?

If there is another election, they will win, just like they won the previous five. They have the numbers.

Sure, just like Erich Honecker kept winning elections.

• Like 1

Too bad, because it already looks like "lights out" for Yingluck and PTP.

Why would you thinks that?

If there is another election, they will win, just like they won the previous five. They have the numbers.

Sure, just like Erich Honecker kept winning elections.

Ok, now if you really think that. Compare the DDR situation with actual Thai situation.

If we were in the DDR, these mobs would have been vaporized after some hours.

Protesters uses whistles, to support their ideas.

Pro government will put on cars light.

Why have to deride the one or the others? In which way an idea is better than the other? Or why the second idea is ridiculous?

The idea behind the whistles initially was being a whistleblower on corruption. Taking a phrase to a literal level. The symbolism of leaving lights on is I guess to shine a spotlight on suthep's fascism but I could be giving PT too much credit here. I suspect he just thought it would be a thing to do.

Protesters uses whistles, to support their ideas.

Pro government will put on cars light.

Why have to deride the one or the others? In which way an idea is better than the other? Or why the second idea is ridiculous?

On your motor bike your lights are on all the time, they know that this is way to get false support. So on your motor bike blow your whistle.

• Like 1

Not only motorcycles, many people like to drive headlights on for safety purposes and may not appreciate having that taken as an expression of support.

Free marketing idea - a bumper sticker (even a larger tailgate size) of a crab being smashed with a hammer might sell well. I'll take 2.

• Like 1

Just a great idea! ANYONE with their lights on now will be a target for the anti government demonstrators as the tensions escalate. Just stand on a bridge or in cover of the side of the road with a slingshot and pick a windshield above the lighted car or truck to aim at!

• Like 1