Court dismisses action brought by Thaksin

webfact

"Thaksin, who is now in self-exile" AKA on the run.

If Thaksin is so guilty, how come no country will extradite him? He's freely travelling to countries like U.S and Singapore without being arrested.

It's funny how you people keep re-iterating how corrupt Thailand is. But you only apply that corruption where it suits you.

Has the Thai government asked for him to be extradited?

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to another poster's question, if Thaksin had sway over the courts he would have been here long ago. The courts - and the laws they enforce - are the one thing that is keeping Thaksin from here - hence the Yingluck administration's failed attempt to have his convictions nullified in the massive blunder of the amnesty bill.

Agreed, but how does dismantling democratic process achieve this? If the court system works, then the legal checks and balances are there, so any illegal actions from the governing party can and should be brought to the courts by the opposition.

You have a point but although the current government was elected in a broadly democratic fashion it would appear to be under a lot of control by a convicted criminal outside the country. I assume that's why reforms are needed before another election. The current government also seems to be pandering to the military by not holding them accountable for deaths in 2010.

Edited by kimamey

Because his sister and her government provided him with a diplomatic passport.

Again, even if this is true, it happened after the military dictatorship. It does not answer the question why he was never extradited during the military dictatorship.

Because he was only convicted when his brother in law was PM already.

Don't spoil a good thread with something as boring as facts!!rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

Possibly it suits everyone's purpose that he remains out of the country. Might explain the ease with which he fled the country.

He didn't flee, he was ousted in a military coup while holding a lecture about democracy at the U.N. Then he was convicted on trumped up charges and never extradited. And now you claim this was due to it being best for everyone. I want what you are smoking.

He fled while his proxies the PPP were in power. I guess the box of donuts didn't have quite enough cash in it.

• Like 1

In response to a poster's legitimate and courteous query regarding the balance between the courts and the expression of the democratic will, the jury is still out on the court's ruling as to whether the Pheu Thai party operated outside the bounds of the constitution when they passed the amnesty bill. That ruling could very well settle the issue. In terms of the expression of the democratic will, I think everyone here would endorse the application of free and fair elections. Holding this particular country to that standard, though - for some, at least - might be something of a bridge too far ! Hence the almost universal support for reform first, as I suspect the public is terribly skeptical that any reform that would be addressed after would only perpetuate the malpractices that exist. Remember that Yingluck had promised reform in the last election. But subsequent actions betrayed that trust. If this were her first election, people might believe her. In fact, I think many people did believe her. They do not now.

"Hence the almost universal support for reform first" What data do you have to support this contention? It's certainly the overwhelming opinion of pollsters that were an election to be held on feb 2, the ptp would win a big majority of the vote. Do you think these voters were happy that the PDC engaged in massive illegal action that created the current situation? This kind of assertion is truly delusional. ,

Possibly it suits everyone's purpose that he remains out of the country. Might explain the ease with which he fled the country.

He didn't flee, he was ousted in a military coup while holding a lecture about democracy at the U.N. Then he was convicted on trumped up charges and never extradited. And now you claim this was due to it being best for everyone. I want what you are smoking.

After the PTP and Yingluck came to power she said they would look at Thaksin's conviction to see if there were any problems with it. As I haven't heard any more about it I assume it wasn't trumped up. Or maybe they need another 30 days as they do for an explanation on why he was given a passport.

I'm sure if the charges were obviously trumped up and there was a rational explanation for his being given a passport we should have heard by now.

...since when is a 'fugitive of the law'.......considered....'in self-exile'.....

...and since when can such an individual file a court action.....against others......

...sounds like an ironic twist in the legal system...

....or an intentional abuse of the legal system...

Edited by SOTIRIOS

If Thaksin is so guilty, how come no country will extradite him? He's freely travelling to countries like U.S and Singapore without being arrested.

It's funny how you people keep re-iterating how corrupt Thailand is. But you only apply that corruption where it suits you.

Because some countries don't have extradition agreements with Thailand and as for the US, they have invested a lot in Thaksin

which has brought America's war companies to Thailand. It's because of Thaksin you have Lockheed Martin, Monsanto and their GMO food, Merck and Smith Glaxo Kline's toxic vaccine's, torture prisons and the list does go on. The USA is far more corrupt than Thailand will ever be and they need

a puppet like Thaksin to secure their interests in this part of the world.

I think the reason is that the Thai government hasn't asked for extradition for obvious reasons. If it wasn't sought under the previous government then I don't know why unless they felt it would too much unrest if he came back. They might have had to rely on the army to provide security and at that time I doubt they could trust them.

You should try to calm down and check your facts before you embark on an anti USA rant. Smith Kline Glaxo is a British multi national.

I was just wondering how long it will take the DSI to charge the caretaker PM with murder for the death of Wasu Chantabutr in yesterdays protest suppression operations.

After all what's good for the Goose must be good for the Gander.

The police yesterday like the army in 2010 would have been given orders from the top in writing. would make interesting reading

Again, even if this is true, it happened after the military dictatorship. It does not answer the question why he was never extradited during the military dictatorship.

Are you that clueless he wasn't found guilty until a couple of years after the coup and the government at the time was run by his brother-in-law. Do your research before posting nonsense.

• Like 1

I was just wondering how long it will take the DSI to charge the caretaker PM with murder for the death of Wasu Chantabutr in yesterdays protest suppression operations.

After all what's good for the Goose must be good for the Gander.

The police yesterday like the army in 2010 would have been given orders from the top in writing. would make interesting reading

The thing is unlike the army in 2010 will they abide by them.

and in any case, interpol said they will never comply to go after TS... go figure why

Can you supply proof for your made-up claim?

I have never known a debate where one side makes up so many outlandish claims, avoid responding to difficult or hypothetical questions and turn a blind eye to unethical practices more than the Red Shirt supporting side do.

They post some weird stuff, then you ask them to elaborate or ask them something and they disappear from the thread and pop up again elsewhere and do it all again.

It definitely does seem to be a reoccurring trait most notably associated with that group.

It's not gone unnoticed.

• Like 1

and in any case, interpol said they will never comply to go after TS... go figure why

Can you supply proof for your made-up claim?

I have never known a debate where one side makes up so many outlandish claims, avoid responding to difficult or hypothetical questions and turn a blind eye to unethical practices more than the Red Shirt supporting side do.

They post some weird stuff, then you ask them to elaborate or ask them something and they disappear from the thread and pop up again elsewhere and do it all again.

It definitely does seem to be a reoccurring trait most notably associated with that group.

It's not gone unnoticed.

It could be mistaken for boiler room tactics.

Seeking and obtaining extradition is not the work of a minute. It takes a great deal of time, effort and diplomacy. Also there is the consideration of the countries where the person is holed up and have they had their palms greased to put any application on the back boiler, just demand more detail, one item at a time and a thousand and one other reasons. If the fugitive is staying out of trouble locally and the inter government relationship is not good then it can take years as has been shown in many cases around the world.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this put to rest the anti-government protesters claim that the Thaksin regime has infiltrated and corrupted every aspect of the government and legal system? Doesn't this show that the system, while in need of fixing, isn't completely broken beyond repair?

I think there's enough needing fixing to give it a go. A good start would be officials who refuse to forward criminal cases to the courts, minor stuff like perjury and terrorism.

Agreed, but how does dismantling democratic process achieve this? If the court system works, then the legal checks and balances are there, so any illegal actions from the governing party can and should be brought to the courts by the opposition.

Come on , you have t be joking. Perhaps the one and only sensible ruling I have heard in years and you want to declare that checks and balances are in place.

Well yes there is corruption everywhere but in the case of extradition I think you'll find that is down to the Thai govt and Police to demand his extradition from the country he is in at the time. As they have not done this, there is no extradition, this has nothing to do with corruption anywhere other than in Thailand.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this put to rest the anti-government protesters claim that the Thaksin regime has infiltrated and corrupted every aspect of the government and legal system? Doesn't this show that the system, while in need of fixing, isn't completely broken beyond repair?

I think there's enough needing fixing to give it a go. A good start would be officials who refuse to forward criminal cases to the courts, minor stuff like perjury and terrorism.

Come on , you have t be joking. Perhaps the one and only sensible ruling I have heard in years and you want to declare that checks and balances are in place.

He actually did not say that, but just asking (and is a legit question imho), why opposition (as seen as the court system works) hadn't bring to the court all illegal actions by the governing party?

It's not gone unnoticed.

It could be mistaken for boiler room tactics.

It would come as no real surprise to discover that that group were also boiler room workers.

Edited by Maha Sarakham Marty

Didn't the UK freeze his assets once he was charged and then he fled from the UK ?

Well yes there is corruption everywhere but in the case of extradition I think you'll find that is down to the Thai govt and Police to demand his extradition from the country he is in at the time. As they have not done this, there is no extradition, this has nothing to do with corruption anywhere other than in Thailand.

And why do you think they didn't ask for extradition when they had all the time in the world to do it while in power? Maybe because as an American Diplomat put it, the charges were "at best a misdemeanor compared to his predecessors"?

Edited by firestar

Didn't the UK freeze his assets once he was charged and then he fled from the UK ?

Nope. It was debunked. He was at the time still the owner of Manchester City had they seized his assets why didn't they seize Manchester City?

Do more research.

He came back in 2008. He was out on bail for his charges. He got permission to go to the Olympics. He didn't return.

That sounds like fleeing to me.

At least one country revoked his passport, right?

U.K. visa revoked, Thaksin looks for new home

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/09/world/asia/09iht-10thaksin.17664512.html?_r=0

The answer to that should be quite obvious. How long was it before Pinochet had an international warrant served against him? I hope your getting this. The world doesn't turn on a dime and neither does justice.

• Like 1