Why I like Cambo better than Thailand

Soccersux

It's been said before but you will have to hit several stores to collect everything you want. Pencil on St. 214, I believe, just west off Norodom, has a lot of that stuff you want. Then I would rate the larger Bayon next, then the smaller Thai Huot (some things are cheaper here than at Lucky). I think I've never been to the main Lucky on Sihanouk. Anyway, what Sheryl said.

Good info. As I type my Mrs is doing the rounds, Thai Huot, Blue Pumpkin, Bayon and Luck City Mall. Each of these have items to enjoy.

At risk of repeating myself, one man's meat......

I've lived in Hong Kong, Thailand, China, Vietnam, the Philippines and Cambodia. If you're 60 and want to live until you're 100, indeed, live near a hospital in TL, a sad existence in my eyes. When your number's up, it's up.

Cambodia has its faults, but I wouldn't live in those other countries again if I was paid to. Phnom Penh can be expensive if you need Western food every day, but anywhere is what you make it. I don't get any of the grief here that I did in TL for visas, working papers etc. Living is so much more than cute girls and how much food, beer and cigarettes cost. Each to their own, live and let live, one man's meat.......

I will say straight up I'd rather be living in Cambodia as I was much happier there when I lived in PP for six months than at any time or period in Thailand. However, Freebyrd, I think you will have to change your view about Thailand when youthfulness fades and have to undergo any medical procedure. Mine is a lengthy therapy and I must live here for a few months anyway. I think I'll just add parenthetically that I do not pick countries because of the "cute girls and how much food, beer and cigarettes cost." I felt far more comfortable and experienced fewer hassles in Cambodia.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp
  • Like 2

I've lived in Hong Kong, Thailand, China, Vietnam, the Philippines and Cambodia. If you're 60 and want to live until you're 100, indeed, live near a hospital in TL, a sad existence in my eyes. When your number's up, it's up.....

Yes but sometimes when it isn't up, it becomes so for lack of care or wrong care. Or you end up needlessly disabled (blind..lost a limb..paralyzed etc).

I'm not saying people shouldn't live in Cambodia., even older people. Just that the very poor quality of medical care is the main drawback and needs to be factored in and planned for accordingly i.e. set aside funds or make sure you have insurance that will cover med-evac to either TL or VN. Fortunately it is not far to go -- frequent flights to both plus overland options. Possible to go by ambulance to either border and be met by an ambulance on the other side, I have helped people do this.

A fatalistic attitude is not good planning, neither is "well I'll just die, I don't mind" . When the time comes you will mind, and it is not just a matter of death but maybe also severe pain, unnecessary disability etc.

Fair enough, but it's also about other factors. I was in combat situations/internal security situations as a youth and could have gone long ago but didn't, which leaves one with a very different outlook on life.

And why are we so much more elevated than the locals? Most don't have any insurance and those that live in the sticks have to take it or leave it. Perhaps as Caucasians we've become spolit? And who are you or anyone else to tell me or anyone else whether I will miind or not? Some are fatalistic and just because you aren't, don't push your opinions my way thank you.

I've lived with pain these many years now, others are a great deal worse off than I and don't have thousands of dollars to receive treatment. I don't agree with organ transplants and all the excessive tinkering that goes on by the medical fraternity as it's messing with the natural course of things too much, leading to an over populated world putting even more pressure on resources.

Medical insurance? "Yes we'll cover you but not heart, strokes or cancer." Some offer that!

As I said, each to their own, live and let live, one man's meat.....

• Like 1

I've lived in Hong Kong, Thailand, China, Vietnam, the Philippines and Cambodia. If you're 60 and want to live until you're 100, indeed, live near a hospital in TL, a sad existence in my eyes. When your number's up, it's up.

Cambodia has its faults, but I wouldn't live in those other countries again if I was paid to. Phnom Penh can be expensive if you need Western food every day, but anywhere is what you make it. I don't get any of the grief here that I did in TL for visas, working papers etc. Living is so much more than cute girls and how much food, beer and cigarettes cost. Each to their own, live and let live, one man's meat.......

I will say straight up I'd rather be living in Cambodia as I was much happier there when I lived in PP for six months than at any time or period in Thailand. However, Freebyrd, I think you will have to change your view about Thailand when youthfulness fades and have to undergo any medical procedure. Mine is a lengthy therapy and I must live here for a few months anyway. I think I'll just add parenthetically that I do not pick countries because of the "cute girls and how much food, beer and cigarettes cost." I felt far more comfortable and experienced fewer hassles in Cambodia.

You've been straight, so will I. I was raised not to be told what to do by anyone - ever, underline 'have' as many times as you like, I make my own decisions right or wrong. Even 20 years in uniform didn't change that. You may be wealthy enough to hop back to TL for treatment, I'm not, good luck to you, you have obviously planned well, kudos to you for that. By the way, my youthfulness faded long ago and not everyone HAS to undergo medical procedures.

You perhaps read me wrong, I didn't suggest that you personally were here for totty, chep grub, booze, fags or anything else, but there are a great many bums and stiffs of all ages that patently are. Actor George Sanders told David Niven in 1936 that when it was the right time for him, he would choose his exit, he did so at 66 in 1972. I don't want to be cut open, filled full of drugs or become a burden to the one I love. When my time is up it's up and as long as I'm compus mentus I will make my own choices.

At risk of repeating myself again and again, I'm not teling anyone else what to do so, so any responses please do me the same courtesy........one man's meat......

• Like 2

I had no idea about the fake surgeries etc. Thanks for that info.

I guess I lucked out when I ran into a Russian trained Khmer doc who did charge for all an astronomic 5 US. Later I went to a Korean hospital with an incompetent staff and Filipino doc that was US 50 plus pain inflicted.

A doc in PP charged me 10 and confirmed the initial diagnosis. This was later also confirmed by docs abroad.

Could it be that the original training of a doc plays a part in their ethics? The Russian trained one had been educated by professors who had lived in Germany.

Perhaps Thaivisa could pin the "good" docs here. In case of emergency this might be critical help.

• 2 weeks later...

We could open a thread recommending doctors. Would be the most useful thread of all.

Agree. Most would have only anecdotal experience. Sheryl has worked there doing nutritional studies IIRC - she would be the prime source. But finding the doctors house and hoping he/she had the right equipment, would be interesting. But in a tight spot, it would be perfectly possible and maybe a life-saver!

Wehn I have time I will post something. Have to pull together bits and pieces of information from over the years. But even the best doc there should be used only for non-urgent routine matters. Anything serious ---> head for the border.

I will contribute it here but will add this to any new thread about Phnom Penh doctors. I've have nothing but good things to say about Dr. Gavin Scott of the Tropical and Travellers Medical clinic on 108. A visiting friend also was very satisfied. Some details later for the new thread.

One post had to be removed to protect the forum (and possibly the poster) from liability under Thai defamation laws. Even if the aggrieved party is not in Thailand, they can still bring an action in Thai court if the accused is Thailand based.

Please keep forum rules in mind:

"6) Do not post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel. Defamation is the issuance of a statement about another person or business which causes that person to suffer harm. Libel is when the defamatory statement is published either in a drawing, painting, cinematography, film, picture or letters made visible by any means, or any other recording instruments, recording picture or letters, or by broadcasting or spreading picture, or by propagation by any other means. Defamation is both a civil and criminal charge in Thailand."

Note that the truth of the statements are not a defense under Thai law.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

• 3 years later...

Sounds like you mean 10 days total? That's not enough time.

your clinging to to the rush and excitement of a change in scene and projecting those feelings onto the people and situation and saying it's all good.

The cambo smiles are more overdone then thai, but don't make the mistake of thinking everyone has hunky dory thoughts for the wealthy foreigner.

Edited by Jim Turner Mad Punx
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...