Massive test ahead for Thai media: Editorial

webfact

EDITORIAL
Massive test ahead for Thai media

The Nation

Our view of the world is fragmenting across seemingly endless channels; reporting that rises above the political divide is now the media's No 1 challenge

BANGKOK: -- Easily as dizzying as our political evolution is the transformation Thai news media have undergone over the last decade. The coming year will see more changes thanks to the emergence of digital TV sets, which will herald furious competition in the broadcasting sector. And, as with other parts of society, the media need to adapt to a fast-changing environment.

The word "freedom" sounds ancient. Politically split Thailand has seen the likes of Bluesky, a satellite TV station that broadcasts anti-government content at will, and Asia Update, which is virtually the polar opposite. Meanwhile in the print media you can read whatever suits your ideological leaning. The online situation is the same. There is everything for anyone.

Many complain that content is censored. Don't be fooled. Thailand's media are as free or even more so than most of their international peers. Taboo issues are addressed on TV quite openly. News about censorship makes headlines and draws attention, but one thing has to be taken into account: If you can complain and your complaints get heard, things can't be that bad.

Among the many challenges facing the Thai media (the social media included), "freedom" is not at the top of the list. Rather, with political divisions dictating people's choices in media consumption, "responsibility" is what's most important. And although "responsibility" has become hard to define under the current political circumstances, that doesn't mean the way things are at the moment is how it's supposed to be.

Bluesky has been broadcasting "hardcore" anti-government content on a daily basis. On the other hand, former prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva and anti-government leader Suthep Thaugsuban are openly called dia-ra-chan - or "animals" (to put it mildly) - on pro-government channels. The more mainstream media, meanwhile, have been free of name-calling, but the political crossfire has made life difficult for their journalists.

The media's biggest challenge is to rise above the acrimonious political divide. All will say they can, but the truth is that few have been able to. To "rise above the divide" does not necessarily mean being strictly neutral, which has proved practically impossible. To rise above the conflict simply means reporting responsibly - perhaps somewhere between what free TV, Bluesky and Asia Update did in covering the height of the Suthep-led anti-government rally.

The next challenge is how to incorporate the increasingly influential social media to help reflect the truth and the opinions of all sides. This is also a delicate matter, because the social media are supposed to be allowed to grow naturally, beyond the influence of mainstream media, advertisers and the powers-that-be.

Last but not least, the media must acknowledge that technology is changing everything. Not just the way people are consuming news or how news is being gathered, but everything. Now that news can be consumed for free and corporations can push their advertisements onto the social media, conventional media have to rethink the definition of "success".

Money, certainly, is no longer the one and only barometer. This concept is easy to accept but far more difficult to respond to. Most media organisations still cling to traditional operating methods and staff roles, and calls for an overhaul often meet with resentment. However, to stand the test of time, everyone in the media industry, from low-ranking technicians to executives, will need to rethink everything - their roles, their skills, their benefits and more.

All these challenges have already presented themselves, each one more glaring than the other. But they will become acid tests in 2014. The year ahead will be tough, but the good news for the media is that they won't be alone.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-28

• Like 1

Bias is endemic in the Thai media......

Investigative journalism quality is poor.... investigations appear to be controlled. Either that or the journalists themselves are of a lesser quality than what is required.

Thai media as free as international agencies........Phuketwan comes to mind!

• Like 2

Thai media is very unprofessional. No thirst for facts, no follow up and challenging sources, no investigative know how or desire. Very amateur and uninformed. Last but not least, Thailand's press denies the truth and panders to duplicity, deceit, and posturing.

"Massive test ahead for Thai media"

One way to pass the test would be to not post photoshopped photographs of alleged gunmen at the current protests. Might help with claims of fairness and no bias in reporting.

Not photoshopped - just a genuine armed yellowshirt protester from 2008.

Thai media needs to learn to report the basics - the 5 W's, do follow-ups, investigate, and not take any Thai Government official at his word. Any time a Thai Gov Official uses numbers, those numbers should be verified before the piece is published.

• Like 2

One way to pass the test would be to not post photoshopped photographs of alleged gunmen at the current protests. Might help with claims of fairness and no bias in reporting.

I've already answered this comment from you in another post. Give me a minute I'll just go and copy it to paste here…...

here you go

Someone has superimposed a picture from 2008 onto a scene from 2013 claiming the two are linked to each other. The pictures are both real, their linkage is fake. The message the pictures tries to create is fake. The picture is a fake as a single unit. It's an attempt to create a cover story for the shootings that took place on that day. I'd like to know who is responsible and what they are so desperate to cover up. Don't you?

Edited by Bluespunk

A rather optimistic article, but I think reflects what clearly has been - in fits and starts - a journey towards a more inclusive media. Indeed, this country has many TV stations, some of which assume more politically partisan viewpoints. In the north, the popularity of the pro-government stations is undeniable, and the formats are often set up in such a way that make them for many preferable to soap operas, with easily recognizable villains, and steam graphically coming out of their ears. The radio versions of these programmes tend to be even more extreme, and from time to time veer perhaps too close to what once happened in Rwanda. And yet, the author of this article points to the potent effect of the internet. The internet is the enemy of any form of repression. It poses challenges to all societies that have a preference towards control. And yet, at the end of the day, knowledge is power. But it's not always a question of availability. People choose where to receive their news from. Some prefer it to be more geared towards their particular tastes. People - like birds - flock together ! But it is positive that at least the information is always there - for those that seek it. That's progress.

Off course, there is NO such thing like censorship in the media here in Thailand.
Media is free to report anything as long as they say what they are allowed to say

and it doesn't involve the "Land of the Free". cheesy.gif

In fact, the media can work and report freely about anything here in Thailand without
fear of retributions from big brother. Even the UN released a statement about the "fair"
handling of the media by the Thai Governments. crying.gif

You can report whatever you want although you comments might be deleted or you
might get banned from ever making a comment again. Reporters might be beaten up
or end up several years in prison because of "irresponsible" comments. shock1.gif

"Responsible reporting" = " Self Censorship according to governments guide lines" 1zgarz5.gif

Edited by JoeLing

Off course, there is NO such thing like censorship in the media here in Thailand

Media is free to report anything as long as they say what they are allowed to say

In fact, the media can work and report freely about anything here in Thailand without

fear of retributions from big brother. Even the UN released a statement about the "fair"

or end up several years in prison because of "irresponsible" comments.

"Responsible reporting" = " Self Censorship according to governments guide lines"

The Nation is paid by Thaksin? Blue Sky Channel too? What are you talking about?

This morning have even news presenting a newspaper for support Suthep and his gang.

The problem about Thai media is that there are NO INDEPENDENT sources.

Any Channel, newspaper or website, is totally and almost blindly sided with one or another faction.

Off course, there is NO such thing like censorship in the media here in Thailand

"Responsible reporting" = " Self Censorship according to governments guide lines"

The Nation is paid by Thaksin? Blue Sky Channel too? What are you talking about?

This morning have even news presenting a newspaper for support Suthep and his gang.

Any Channel, newspaper or website, is totally and almost blindly sided with one or another faction.

Sorry mate, could you point out where I mentioned Thaksin or Suthep in my comment?

Maybe try to post that link from the "Bangkok Post" whistling.gif

Edited by JoeLing

Sorry mate, could you point out where I mentioned Thaksin or Suthep in my comment?

Maybe try to post that link from the "Bangkok Post" whistling.gif

I feeling idiot myself, after read again your post. I got your words wrong buddy, sorry.

By the way what's about link from Bkk Post? blink.png

• Like 1

Ah, journalism in the 21st century. I remember, are those the guys that used to carry film cameras and many spools of film through jungle terrain with bullets whizzing past their heads capturing dramatic real life accounts of war?

Since the digital age has come around all we get are iphone captured revolutions, armchair webcam revolutionaries and grainier than ever footage. The acid test will be not to lose sight of what the international news agencies broadcast, and maybe this is what they mean by not being alone. Spinning in line maybe?

Bring back CNNNN I say, I miss the Firth Factor...

Edited by mumjokmok
  • Like 1

I've already answered this comment from you in another post. Give me a minute I'll just go and copy it to paste here…...

here you go

Someone has superimposed a picture from 2008 onto a scene from 2013 claiming the two are linked to each other. The pictures are both real, their linkage is fake. The message the pictures tries to create is fake. The picture is a fake as a single unit. It's an attempt to create a cover story for the shootings that took place on that day. I'd like to know who is responsible and what they are so desperate to cover up. Don't you?

Surely it's possible Thai Rath made a genuine mistake rather than trying to obscure responsibility? Sure, they should've done better, but they held their hands up and apologized - something I doubt you'd find Blue Sky (or their red shirt equivalent) doing. I could understand the fake accusation if Thai Rath were a government mouthpiece, but as far as I can tell, they publish stuff critical of both sides. Don't underestimate incompetence or ignorance.